Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another "my new project" thread, '59.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

BLACK!! Very few choose black but I love my black '58 and nobody has ever suggested it would look better in another colour. However the 55-59 Ghias were blessed with some very attractive colours: http://www.kglowlightregistry.com/index.php?action=page_display&PageID=6

Dammit, yeah. Black would be fairly awesome. I've no idea wtf a "colour" is, though.

The same as "color", only spelt correctly. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Laughing "Spelt":
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Something like this, only not narrowed and lowered, and with euro bumpers. God, is there anything worse than a bunch of inappropriate negative camber? I do kinda like the 17" raiders though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Laughing "Spelt":

Something like this, only not narrowed and lowered, and with euro bumpers. God, is there anything worse than a bunch of inappropriate negative camber? I do kinda like the 17" raiders though.

You're going to have to get used to "English" English...I don't speak 'Merican. Laughing
I'm not here to tell you how to restore your '59 but it's pretty clear I don't like extreme lowering which IMO is ugly. My argument is also nobody narrowed a beam because it looks good, it's because occasionally you might want to turn a corner.
Looks like you have a 36hp 1200cc engine, rebuild it and you can augment the power output with some Vintage Speed go-faster goodies later...that's a lot of fun.
After market wheels; yep there is plenty of choice some look good, try to go for the rarer choice but stock steelies also have a killer look IMO. You're *spoilt for choice. "*spoilt" is "English" English for spoiled. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
You're going to have to get used to "English" English...I don't speak 'Merican. Laughing
I'm not here to tell you how to restore your '59 but it's pretty clear I don't like extreme lowering which IMO is ugly. My argument is also nobody narrowed a beam because it looks good, it's because occasionally you might want to turn a corner.
Looks like you have a 36hp 1200cc engine, rebuild it and you can augment the power output with some Vintage Speed go-faster goodies later...that's a lot of fun.
After market wheels; yep there is plenty of choice some look good, try to go for the rarer choice but stock steelies also have a killer look IMO. You're *spoilt for choice. "*spoilt" is "English" English for spoiled. Smile

Fair, enough, spent a bit of time over there and just taking the mick.

I love the old sewing machine sound of an ACVW, but also love the instant torque and quiet of electric so holding on that decision for now. Will likely stick with the stock wheels, and I'm liking your suggestion of black even more.

Bought some stuff on WW/JB, German/OEM where possible. Running total update:

Car: 9500
Go and get it: 150
Brakes/chassis/seals: 680
-------------------------------
$10,330
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

Black and red interior would look super sharp and vintage cause if you are going to run a 36hp like it or not you are officially vintage and only stock Nazi vintage guys will talk to you but not if you put Raiders on it.
I run a stroked, big bored 36hp with OG Okrasa kit and that car is a blast to drive. 75mph cruising easy, 80mph if I want to show off, but the custom goons won’t even look twice at my car. Just stock Nazis like you Laughing

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Black and red interior would look super sharp and vintage cause if you are going to run a 36hp like it or not you are officially vintage and only stock Nazi vintage guys will talk to you but not if you put Raiders on it.
I run a stroked, big bored 36hp with OG Okrasa kit and that car is a blast to drive. 75mph cruising easy, 80mph if I want to show off, but the custom goons won’t even look twice at my car. Just stock Nazis like you Laughing

Yeah, well then it sounds like boring and stock everywhere except the raiders would be cause for nobody to talk to me. Add to cart.

Dunno about the ghia crowd as it's been forever. I know many in the aircooled bus crowd I interact with have zero interest in being in the same place as watercooled campers to the point of being a bit standoffish. Whatevs.

In other news, so far today we have 3 answers in the "can you paint my car" game. One doesn't return calls.

1. We only do insurance work
2. Sure, it'll be at least $10k and I can start in 2025, and
3. No.

All in all, a good excuse to purchase the Primeweld TIG225X. And I'm even still sober!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
...In other news, so far today we have 3 answers in the "can you paint my car" game. One doesn't return calls.

1. We only do insurance work
2. Sure, it'll be at least $10k and I can start in 2025, and
3. No.

All in all, a good excuse to purchase the Primeweld TIG225X. And I'm even still sober!

Do your metal work then head over to http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php and learn everything you need to know so you can "body and paint" the car yourself. They are a great crowd of pros and amateurs willing to help and share knowledge. It's like The Samba but for paint and body related stuff. I have learned a ton from them and I am really close to spraying my first coat of primer on bare metal thanks to their help.

We're all in this together,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

Brakes almost back together. Gonna be tough to get enough energy density from the current state of batteries to get 75 miles desired range without pushing GVW, thus will rehab the 36hp that came with her. Genny was loose and a little mayo in the case, fingers crossed. Gonna guess this one ran a bit hot Laughing

Also bought a bunch of tulz to make my life easier and this project more fun, won't count that but did drop some more cash with WW. Also really needed a TIG setup, so drop a grand on that too.

Clutch, tie rods, various engine parts: 560
-------------------------------
$10,890
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

Given the DIY paint plan, will have to nix metallics (graphite/diamond/dolphin) as I don't love BC/CC and don't trust myself to get it right with a SS metallic. Switching to pearl white which may have been present in '58 on a coupe and obviously on cabs. Will also match the grey/red interior already present and usable. Next step paint engine bay and trunk so I can start putting wiring, old 36hp back in, ordering SS urethane from TCP as the local jobber can't help.

Used $200 Hobbyair on the way for supplied air, oldy but goody craftsman 7cfm 220v compressor for $80 acquired which should team up with my 4cfm unit to give me *just* enough air.

My car when "rescued" two POs ago in '17, resprayed white from red.

Really like this cab, perhaps a two-tone with oatmeal-colored top would be appropriate.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

Been busy rebuilding all the "systems", done with brakes brand new and German all around, front steering/suspension, rear axle reseal, and most of the motor ancillaries. Forgot how much damn fun old aircooled stuff is to work on. Found this little gem somebody along the way made, an attempt to eliminate the terrible z-bar design is my guess?

Bought a bunch more parts, tires, paint. Decided to stick with graphite silver and have a gallon of single stage urethane for the engine bay/trunk/insides of doors/fenders etc. Once that's done, can mount engine, fuel, and new wiring works harness and get her out for a highly illegal cruise around the neighborhood. Colorado allows YOM plates, scored this one, '58 is fortunately the only year with the little skier

Will need to figure out how to rebuild these sagging hinges, anyone make an oversize pin with the proper reamer? John Copello doesn't do it anymore, suppose I can convince the friend with the machine shop to turn some pins if I must.

Decided on some tires, can't see springing for the astronomical Cokers and plan to daily this old girl, so found some radials in the 155 size, these with a whitewall somewhere between the two sizes Coker has. They seem to have the "metric" look I'm after and are cheap at $81/ea and decently reviewed elsewhere, can't find anything on this site about them. Will update upon arrival

Out of town for the rest of the week, then painting fun begins....

Clutch, tie rods, various engine parts: 560
Used starter, dizzy: 120
Paint/primer round one: 750
Stainless exhaust etc: 500
Various electrical bits/body stuff: 200
Tires (Radar dimax classic 155r15): 350

Current total: $12,810
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

Well you guys are just a hoot. Laughing

Birth certificate came, no big surprises aside from German delivery with US spec. Tourist program? Born/delivered on the 4th of July apparently, also the same brake light code as Braukuche, not sure what that's all about.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

I just buy the new hinges from Aircooled. Replace all of them.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Airhead? Nobody is making new lowlight hinges afaik. Do tell.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another "my new project" thread, '59. Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Airhead? Nobody is making new lowlight hinges afaik. Do tell.

I misspoke, good used not new. But pricey!
They do sell new for later years. Anyone know what the difference is?

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/door-hinge-141-831-412-u/

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: