Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for this wheel
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Looking for this wheel Reply with quote

Is the finish on this Fuch wheel a natural finish,meaning brushed satin? It's advertised as polished but looks more like the natural finish from the manufacturer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for this wheel Reply with quote

It looks to me like diamond cut. The wheel is painted, then the paint (and a small amount of the metal) is cut off on a lathe to leave the "polished" area. The finish is close to polished, but not quite when examined closely as you will see the fine tool finish. A lot of modern alloys have this finish, often with a clearcoat over the top. Due to the way the "polished" surface is cut on a lathe, it can only cut the outer surfaces, not into the wells or pockets.

True detailed Fuchs wheels are polished, then anodised, then painted (originally by dipping, but mostly by masking and painting now), so the paint comes around more on the "petals" but a diamond cutter cannot reach these areas.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for this wheel Reply with quote

Puppy67 wrote:
It looks to me like diamond cut. The wheel is painted, then the paint (and a small amount of the metal) is cut off on a lathe to leave the "polished" area. The finish is close to polished, but not quite when examined closely as you will see the fine tool finish. A lot of modern alloys have this finish, often with a clearcoat over the top. Due to the way the "polished" surface is cut on a lathe, it can only cut the outer surfaces, not into the wells or pockets.

True detailed Fuchs wheels are polished, then anodised, then painted (originally by dipping, but mostly by masking and painting now), so the paint comes around more on the "petals" but a diamond cutter cannot reach these areas.

This is the exact finish I'm looking for in a 4.4/15 and 5.5/15 or a 6/15. Are these easily found in these sizes and finishes? Thank you for the info,greatly appreciated.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for this wheel Reply with quote

Are you looking for these wheels in the Porsche bolt pattern(5 x 130mm) or in the early beetle bolt pattern(5 x 205mm) like the wheel you displayed?
The early beetle bolt pattern versions produced where aftermarket. I had a set on my bug in the late 70s sized 15”x 5.5”

Looks like the diamond cut finish to me.

EMPI has them in both bolt patterns:

https://v1.empius.com/vwcatalogsite/vwcatalog/2018/318.html

Last edited by DerrickfromNC1 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for this wheel Reply with quote

I'm in the UK, so not sure how easy where you are. Mine are originals, but I think the best of the easily available repros are probably the FLAT4 ones https://www.flat4.co.jp/products available as sets such as https://shopping.flat4.co.jp/products/detail/3120, SSP Wheels https://www.sspautomotiveparts.com/fooks or the Maxilites https://www.maxilite.ch/en/wheels/search?order=score&p=1&search=5%20spoke

A search of the Samba classifieds will be a good start if wanting genuine -
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

If, of course, you're looking for 5x205 instead of 5x130, your choices are severely limited as only a few companies make them, and I've not seen anything close to a "correct" finish.
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for this wheel Reply with quote

Well I got the Fuchs and they are indeed polished but they look too good to send them back. The pictures I'm seeing are a bit deceptive with the satin finish.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: