Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro Ghia Tachometer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

Thank you for your help, but what sucks though is I just realized that my restorer forgot the chrome ring inside the gauge and the middle is supposed to be grey, not happy. Sad

Gotta send it back.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Thank you for your help, but what sucks though is I just realized that my restorer forgot the chrome ring inside the gauge and the middle is supposed to be grey, not happy. Sad

Gotta send it back.

It also looks like Karhok put his decal on the flat 914 tach face, rather than on the contoured clock face. That would explain why the inner chrome ring and grey disc are missing, as they wouldn't fit on the 914 tach face.
I feel bad for you that you didn't get what you ordered. But I find this extremely rich after all the shit Karhok gave me for my tach, and him arrogantly saying that his are always done "correctly".

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

Karhok only supplied the decal, another person did the restoration.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well after a long wait I finally got my trip/speedo and tach, for the purist out there I know the needle is wrong for the tach but it since it’s not a real one I wanted the needle to match the trip/speedo, enjoy.

German Folks
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

Any tips for applying a flat sticker to a contoured clock face? I only have one chance to do this right!

I assume the sticker stretches a little and is made from vinyl and not paper. The ring in the middle of the clock face is raised so I'm not sure where to start - from the middle or the edges? And I might have to cut the middle of the sticker out before I lay it down.

I can picture myself ruining the sticker and blowing my money so if anyone has done this before and has some helpful tips that would be appreciated.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Any tips for applying a flat sticker to a contoured clock face? I only have one chance to do this right!

I wish I had documented mine more when I did it. But I cut the solid center section with the hash marks (which is on the inner upward angled part of the clock face) completely free from the flat part of the face (the section with the numbers and many concentric circles). I placed this down first.
I'm not sure if you can see it, but for the flat section I also cut at a 90 degree angle through the concentric circles. It's just to the right of the "UPM x100" label. This allowed me to lay it down flat without concern of bunching, and then I matched the lines up where they met. I did the same for the inner circle, but since there's no concentric lines, you don't need to worry so much about matching it, only that the hash marks match up with the numbers.
I did this all with the needle removed. I then superglued the needle back on so that it's at 0rpm at rest.
Right click the image and open in new window so you can zoom in and see detail.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

cool, thanks!

BTW, North Hollywood speedometer quoted me $850 for a tach conversion.

I'm getting a $100 tach off of Amazon, a busted clock for $25, and a decal and needle from Karhok for 95 Euros. So overall a much better deal, I just have to be sure I don't butcher it!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

Here's the final product. I improvised a solution to getting the new VDO tach to stick to the back of the clock. I bought a VDO bracket and modified it with some L-shaped brackets from the hardware store, some nylock nuts and metal screws. Drilled a few holes and I was in business.

I actually had two clocks to work with. I noticed that one had a more squared off base and the other was round. I used the round one because the gasket inserted right into the new VDO gauge.

The hard part was getting the decal on. Couldn't do it without air bubbles and creases. My solution was to cheat: I scanned the decal before I tried to putting it on and when I failed, I printed out a new one, cut the center out and just applied the outer ring. The hash marks in the center are from the clock. I blacked out 5, 6, and 7 with a black sharpie.

If I had to do it again, I would mail my clock face to Kari and let him put the decal on himself!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

Looks great, Pete. Nice work!

Previously owned:
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Ghia Tachometer Reply with quote

Thanks! There's always a chance the decal might peel off if the car is parked in the sun. We shall see.

I'm wondering how the clock face and even a speedometer face was printed or painted onto the metal disc originally. If there was a economical way to recreate that would be ideal. The sticker is really hard to put on without bubbles and creases as the metal face is dished and has a raised ring in the middle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: