Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder???
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder??? Reply with quote

Sorry, not sure who's picture this is, but I hijacked... Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I had my Neal slave on my Type 1, it had lots of leftover adjustment like this one. BUT... On my 5-rib and using the original clutch cable retainer on the side, I cannot get the half ball ends and a nut on either end at the same time.

Is there another transaxle mounting bracket that everyone uses, or do you make a new longer base end stud and make it work?

Thanks, Dan
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder??? Reply with quote

I just make a longer rod on adjustment side.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What usually I do is use a long bolt and cut off the head and use a die to cut threads on it.
The purple slave is a Speedway Motors part. It the cheapest replacement I have found and it the same inside as Neal/CNC and Wilwood.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder??? Reply with quote

I just looked at the Speedway slave cylinder for $44.99. It says it's a .88" stroke. I have around 1.5" of stroke on my Neal cylinder. They have a Wilwood with 1.38" stroke.

I have no idea how much stroke the clutch lever actually moves once the throw out bearing is engaged with the pressure plate.

Just wouldn't want to order the wrong one. If the Speedway with .88" works for you, it should work for me... Smile

Thanks, Dan
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder??? Reply with quote

I using the Speedway Motors #91025604 slave.
When I looked it up on their site it even said when I last purchased one. I used them on four different buggies.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder??? Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
I using the Speedway Motors #91025604 slave.
When I looked it up on their site it even said when I last purchased one. I used them on four different buggies.

Thanks, that's good enough for me!
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder??? Reply with quote

I should add that I have always used a 5/8” clutch master cylinder. That is what Neal originally came with. It makes for easier to push pedal. Pedal does travel a little further.
Neal Products was originally the two Brothers, Bill and Chuck. Chuck went out on his own and started CNC Products.
Their original pedal assembly is a copy of a late 1950s Ford Anglia that a swing pedal setup the turn into a floor mount. When we first got into buggies I saw several buggies at Pismo using the Anglia pedals setup.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder??? Reply with quote

My Neal setup came with the buggy and had the Gerling (spelling) master cylinders. They are in very bad shape and I don't want to try to rebuild them.

The clutch was a 3/4" and the single brake was a 7/8" bore. I bought the Wilwood bail top type masters that are rated at high output. I guess that's what I need to run 4-wheel disc brakes. Since all of the braking system will be brand new, I'm not too concerned about a single piston cylinder for the four wheels.

The 3/4" master will push more fluid and be a bit harder to push than a 5/8". If I do get into a situation that I over stroke the slave, I can add a pedal stop to limit building up too much pressure and breaking something.

Thanks again, as always, for your help and replies.

Dan
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal/CNC Clutch Slave Cylinder??? Reply with quote

I use 3/4” master cylinders with 4 piston Wilwood type (JaMar) 4” pads in rear and 2 piston 2” pads on the front with a balance bar pedal setup.
The only time I would use a 7/8” master cylinder is with a 6 piston setup on the rear of.a buggy.
Wilwood makes good master cylinders. Most have a stainless sleeve in the bore like the CNC square reservoir masters.
One thing with the floor mounted pedal is the ratio is about 6 to 1 and with Wilwood swing pedals are about 7 to 1 ratio. More leverage with swing pedals.

I don’t have the best of knees is one reason I like less pedal effort.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: