Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bus spindles
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: bus spindles Reply with quote

anyone try to put bus kp spindles on type1 kp beam?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

Barndoor spindles are known to fit on a T1 beam and give something like 3" of lift. I don't think non-barndoor spindles are very feasible though, very different mounting and steering arm.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

Back in the 60s and 70s there was a guy in my area who had a Baja Bug with Bus links and spindles He adapted the link pins somehow to the Bug trailing arms. I don't think they need to be BarnDoor spindle assemblies.

The steering arm is what seems the major issue.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm searching for stock style link pin lift spindles myself and reading your post, I've done some looking.
These are 64-67 type 2 bus spindles, I can't find pics of earlier models but it does seem like adapting them would be possible in the link pins but the steering arm is at the bottom.... not sure how to get around that....
Unknown if pre 64 spindles are made this way.
I did used to have a home made buggy (not running) with a bus beam running these spindles but unfortunately I sold it 8^(

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

There are a few issues with using the early bus spindles. Apart from the visually obvious steering arm, the link pins were a bit larger as well. Larger pins is good, but to use them with arms set up for stock T1 pins you have to open up the pinch clamp end of the arm… so now you have nice beefy pins pinched by a thinner walled clamp. You win some, you loose some. 6 or 1/2 dozen, you choose.

There were factory taller type 1 link pin spindles. The Australian VW Country buggy. Country Buggy spindles are to the T1 Link Pin beam as Thing spindles are to the Ball Joint beam. Country Buggies are rare as heck anywhere accept Australia, and even there, not many were sold. Odds of finding some of those spindles are pretty slim. Note, the brake backing plate/mounting is different than the T1.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

Great, something else to search for lol

Edit
https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=97834
Only discussion I can find but supposedly the earlier type 2 spindles are similar to country buggy spindles, with the issue of thinning the clamp as you mentioned.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

The way they are constructed is similar, yes, but dimensions prevent them from being drop in replacements. They look similar in pictures, but bus spindles are significantly heavier and not so easy to shoehorn in as it may appear.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

About 15 years ago, a friend of mine came across a pair of mid 60s Bus spindles from a Bus that someone else was lowering by installing a Bug link pin front end. I had the steering arm figured out in my head. I was going to fabricate them from 2" x .75" cold rolled steel bar, with 1/2" thick gussets. I had the Ackerman figured out. I was going to cut off the stock lower arms on the spindles and weld the fabricated ones on. But the friend moved away and I don't know what happened with the project.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

I wouldn't think it'd be that big of a deal to fab up some new steering arms in a higher location.
as far as link pins, what about the aftermarket training arms don't some of those use larger link pins? I don't what size they use vs. the bus link pin..
or maybe the bus spindles could be rebuilt with link pin bushings that had correct ID for type1 link pins? I dunno, just throwing ideas out without actually looking and measuring anything, just ideas
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

The so-called 7/8" "King Kong" link pins are the same size as Bus link pins. The 5/8" pins are stock Bug Type 1 size.

So aftermarket arms made for "King Kong" pins will fit Bus pins.
SoCalBajas Member
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

Just bumping this to see if there’s anything new someone has done or seen
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

Empi is now selling copies of the Porsche 356 spindle that Rod Emory helped develop for them. Rod does Porsche 356 restorations.
I want a couple of sets of the just the spindles, Empi only sells them with the link pin carriers included. Price is approximately $900 for each side.
I am hoping that Empi will start selling just the spindles soon that want to use them on their off road cars.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

What are they like? Have pics?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

You can find a picture of them on Dans Performance site under Empi TREUHAFT Porsche spindles.
Yes the pice is very steep.
Motion Tire Motorsports
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

Looks like a LP spindle with a KP stub?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

The early 1960 Porsche spindles are basically what Cecil Wright copied when making his heavy duty off road racing spindles from stock VW spindles by adding a sleeve on them. Yes Cecil did more work to them then just that.
The stock Porsche spindles held up to off road racing, they just were not that many available to be found.
Motion Tire Motorsports
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: bus spindles Reply with quote

Yep Joe, Cecil did a good job on those beefed up Bug spindles before he invented the Combo Link spindle.

I used them on my race car as seen in my avatar. I have another pair stashed away.

When my race car got quadruple endoed when flat out in high gear, the right king pin (Sway-A-Way HD king pins and link pins) got bent spindle. I thought the whole assembly was toast. When I cut the king pin to take them apart, The Wright reinforced link straightened out. New bushings and king and link pins and away we go! Still in use now nearly 40 years later. Never have hurt a spindle.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: