Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake proportioning valve pic added
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWS1946
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Brake proportioning valve pic added Reply with quote

I was given a valve that is purple and marked "Speedway" it has an inlet and outlet with two mounting holes and a large lever with detents that regulate the flow through it. I tested it by blowing through it.

Anyone have experience with this valve, is it worth using?
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/6571/A5goLT.jpg[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by AWS1946 on Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve Reply with quote

Just plumb everything as factory don't let these guys talk you into anything different. If you don't have a base line how do you Know what's really needed? Bruce Meyers didn't have extra aftermarket BS when finishing the first Baja race?? Do you need it to cruise around the desert with your dog and check out a old shack/mine site heck no....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve Reply with quote

Major hot button topic here! If nothing else will rally the troops to take sides and fight then bring this subject up! Lots and lots of previous threads on this.
AWS1946
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve Reply with quote

I've read all the pros and cons of a proportioning valve. I'm only asking if this is a decent valve if I decid to use it. I think it is old and I can find no references to it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve pic added Reply with quote

My guess is it came from SpeedwayMotors.com. Most now come with a knob, but Wilwood still makes one with a lever. Yours could be made by Wilwood or could be a china copy.

Is it worth using? I guess if you need one and you like purple ... maybe.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-260-8420-Lever-Style-Proportioning-Valve,4839.html

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Major hot button topic here! If nothing else will rally the troops to take sides and fight then bring this subject up! Lots and lots of previous threads on this.

Whooee..That's a fact! I gave up on trying to sort that mess out and went with a dual master cylinder brake set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:
oprn wrote:

Whooee..That's a fact! I gave up on trying to sort that mess out and went with a dual master cylinder brake set up.

That I believe is a wise choice!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:
oprn wrote:

Whaaaa?? Brake topics never turn into a shit show, we can always discuss the subject with complete acceptance and consideration of the other guy’s perspective and value each other’s opinions with respect and admiration of each person’s experience & knowledge.

Btw, that thing says “speedway” right on it, so yeh it might have come from speedway motors? Ive seen those before and think they are the same thing as the knob type, just probably faster adjusting since it has preset positions in the lever. Circle track si pretty popular here and if I remember right i think those guy will dial a single caliper in & out to make the car cut harder into the corners ?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve pic added Reply with quote

Apparently Speedway Motors no longer makes the lever style proportioning valves. But Wilwood still does and Speedway sells them.

From what I've found prior to this thread about proportioning valves is this, NONE of them reduce the onset surge of pressure by more than 57%... Period.

As pictured by the original poster, the valve would be in FULL bias at 90 degrees. When this valve lever is mounted horizontal, there's no reduction in onset line pressure to whatever caliper(s) you're trying to bias. There's 6 clicks from full to 57% and these are designed for circle track mainly, but other types could apply. The driver can just reach down and pull up on the lever until he gets the correct bias needed. No dialing a knob or reading anything, just pull up and count the clicks.

I doubt this is something that one would use on a buggy, off or on the road.

I'm going to attempt to run a proportioning valve to my front discs on my sand rail in hopes of slowing the brake dive on the sand in turns. I may have to eventually just totally block the front line in some manner, but I'll try the valve first.

Dan
AWS1946
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve pic added Reply with quote

Just from playing with this valve I believe that it goes from full open when 90.defrees one way and closed when 90.degrees the other way.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve pic added Reply with quote

A front mounted gas tank would be the smartest move. Even if its smaller then the factory unit would help restore the correct weight bias.

Only someone insane would spend money on aftermarket junk trying to correct a problem they created.

They I mean the previous owner of your buggy.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brake proportioning valve pic added Reply with quote

I put my battery up front too. Another thing to consider if your front brakes come on too strong is a taller front tire and shorter rears. My sand rail at the moment is too rear brake biased. I have 28" tall front tires and 25 " tall rears. I need to switch that around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: