Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure......
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure...... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure...... Reply with quote

That's one way to avoid the VW sludge problem...

I don't think electrickery works that way
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure...... Reply with quote

Obviously imported from AUS market.

I’m a bit curious as the dialogue after this discovery. What do you say to the customer, exactly?
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure...... Reply with quote

So you removed the pan and found it caked at the bottom. Is this exceptional?

Although I prefer thinking they drove it without a pan.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure...... Reply with quote

The oil pickup is installed backward.
Probably the rod bearings have been converted into dust now in the bottom of the pan.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure...... Reply with quote

Was that just on the utube channel just rolled in?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure...... Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Was that just on the utube channel just rolled in?

Yes. I had posted the picture on Reddit and they contacted me and asked if they could use it in their YouTube video.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: A VW was towed to my shop for low oil pressure...... Reply with quote

Oh ya! These things happen!

Years ago my cousin bought a used Rabbit. A year later he came to me because it wasn't running right. The PO had built a home grown skid pan and when we took the oil pan off we found out why. The pan had hit a rock but it looked like the guy beat it back out with the same rock! The oil pickup was bent up and cracked where it bolts to the oil pump. Then the guy use about a 1/2 gallon of silicone to put the pan back on. It had run down into the pan effectively filling the screen on the oil pickup. To top it off he disconnected the oil pressure switch.

The valve train on that engine was totally destroyed, every lobe on the cam, the bearings and the cam followers all had pulled metal. The cylinder walls were scored and all crankshaft bearings bad!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: