Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2023 part advice for thing engine
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: 2023 part advice for thing engine Reply with quote

I am moving at a snails pace on resurrection of my 73 vw thing…

I am ready to buy a few more items and was wondering about advice.

I am running stock - 1600 dp engine. Solex carb.
I want to get this engine running and installed, but it will only be in for a few summers as I get the type4 engine I have converted. So not trying to soend a fortune.

1st item is the exhaust. Looks like a stock 73 is no longer available…. And costs a little more. I am looking at the dansk 74 stock exhaust and j-tubes. Cut off those heat parts on that one. Is this the way to go, or should I just put a beetle exhaust on it?? The tri-mills everyone says are loud?? And at a stock engine, do i need more exhaust?

The other thing is tune up parts for distributor. Everything says bosch 009. But I have a stock vacuum advance. I am assuming the points, condensor, cap, rotor is all the same??
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 part advice for thing engine Reply with quote

Regarding tune up parts on the stock vacuum advance (DVDA): we really need to know the part number of the distributor to advise the parts. 1973 Things originally came from the factory with 113-905-205AN, which was replaced in 1974 with 043-905-205C. Both are seen on either model year as swapping is very easy and they are visually nearly identical. That being said, it is also very common to see other distributors swapped in as well. Caps and rotors for both are the same as what an 009 uses. The points should be interchangeable with what is out there for 009. The condensers are different between the two stock distributors. If I am remembering right, the 009 uses a square hole condenser like the 043-905-205C, while the 113-905-205AN uses a round hole condenser. There is quite a bit of variation in compatible condenser part numbers that often has to do with the length of the wire to the coil.

I'm sure others will chime in on the exhaust. I personally don't like seeing beetle exhausts on Things, but they are generally cheap and work fine for most driving. I think it would be a reasonable choice for someone who plans on converting to type 4 in the not distant future. Stock exhausts (whether beetle or Thing) tend to be somewhat restrictive. If you are concerned about getting every pony out of your engine, you'll need to look at something else, but that generally comes at the cost of more noise. Even though I don't like the look of beetle mufflers on Things, I ran a monza 4-tip muffler for years (it was a quick, "temporary" solution). I didn't have any issues with it on dirt roads for hiking or camping. It did eventually rust out on me, but that will happen with any mild steel muffler with regular use.

I can sympathize with snails pace. My stock+ engine build has been going for 10+ years...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: