Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

battery mounting
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottovu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: battery mounting Reply with quote

So, Im trying to come up with a clean way to mount 2 Optima 6volt batteries(parallel) in the normal place/area on my '64C coupe. Anyone have any suggestions? I need to leave space for the spare/jack etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: battery mounting Reply with quote

You have obviously tried to mount both 6v Optimas in the factory bracket and found they won't fit. There are a couple of ways this could be done but would first need to know how willing you are to modify the battery box area such as drilling holes or welding a second bracket in place.

That said, I am curious as to the purpose of 2 batteries, can you describe why you need to do this?

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottovu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: battery mounting Reply with quote

To double the cold cranking amps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: battery mounting Reply with quote

ottovu wrote:
To double the cold cranking amps

I have a C coupe and a C cab, both 6v using Optimas and they crank over very fast. In fact they both start just as fast as my friends' cars that are 12v. I am curious why you would need that many CCAs; if your wiring is good, your grounds are clean the Optima will spin your starter just fine. If your timing is set properly and your valves are adjusted and your ignition is properly tuned then in anything other than unusual circumstance your car will crank and start just fine.

I'd hate to see you modify your car for two batteries instead of just setting things up properly which won't be any more work to do.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottovu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: battery mounting Reply with quote

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: