Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Issue - will only start at ~5° ATDC
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Issue - will only start at ~5° ATDC Reply with quote

kecknj13 wrote:
Something else is going on here that's not right.

Pulled the plugs today and they were fouled with dry black soot. More and more evidence seems to point to running rich. Thoughts?

I've seen that before. Are you using standard plugs? None of that trinium titanium diamond stuff. Just basic copper/etc.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kecknj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Issue - will only start at ~5° ATDC Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
kecknj13 wrote:
Something else is going on here that's not right.

Pulled the plugs today and they were fouled with dry black soot. More and more evidence seems to point to running rich. Thoughts?

I've seen that before. Are you using standard plugs? None of that trinium titanium diamond stuff. Just basic copper/etc.

Yep standard Bosch, wr8ac. New empi premium plug wires as well, and Bosch points, condenser, rotor, and cap. The only thing not touched in the ignition system is the coil, but it tested within spec.

I'm planning on rebuilding the carb this weekend (needs it anyway), then pulling the plugs and cleaning them before I tune the carb and play with the timing again. If that doesn't get me anywhere, I'll probably seek out the local vw shop because I'm basically out of ideas.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Issue - will only start at ~5° ATDC Reply with quote

Usually when I get to that point it's the carburetor.

Where is the gap on the points set?

When you have it timed at 7 degrees and you restart it are you pumping the gas or are you holding the pedal down? You shouldn't need to pump it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kecknj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Issue - will only start at ~5° ATDC Reply with quote

Points gap is at 0.4 mm.

Interesting you mention it should start right up with no pedal. It does exactly that when set to 7° ATDC.

Ok then carb is getting rebuilt soon. First I've got to find a proper bypass screw. The one in mine is plastic.. (?!?!) Every seen that? I'm scrounging the classifieds but no luck yet. Might end up buying one for parts and harvesting it..
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Issue - will only start at ~5° ATDC Reply with quote

kecknj13 wrote:
Points gap is at 0.4 mm.

Interesting you mention it should start right up with no pedal. It does exactly that when set to 7° ATDC.

Ok then carb is getting rebuilt soon. First I've got to find a proper bypass screw. The one in mine is plastic.. (?!?!) Every seen that? I'm scrounging the classifieds but no luck yet. Might end up buying one for parts and harvesting it..

Does it run when you time it at 7 ATDC? At RPM 1,000 what is the advance? At 3500 what is the advance?
kecknj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Issue - will only start at ~5° ATDC Reply with quote

It will only start at 7° ATDC, runs at about TDC at idle, 22 BTDC at 3k rpm.

Since my last post I've rebuilt the carb. That was a fun first time experience. Car starts and seems to run a little better, but the timing issue is still perplexing.

@heimlich I'm thinking I will take your advice and replace the 009 dizzy, even if it doesn't solve the weird initial timing, at least the motor will be better timed dynamically and get rid of the flat spot.

This was my first time rebuilding a carb, and I got an ultrasonic cleaner to help minimize the effort. Holy heck was it worth it!

Before

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After

kecknj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Issue - will only start at ~5° ATDC Reply with quote

@heimlich Just order the distributor you recommended. Order number is 4697. Appreciate you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: