TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official Volkswagen Auctions Thread - Barrett-Jackson, etc. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Dave Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:44 am

Some Bozo that "defected" from VW Trends to Hot VWs...what was his name? kaferdork? kaferdude? sumthin' like that... 8)

Honestly, I cannot believe my old Bus sold for that kinda coin...it had to be a bidding war, and even if the buyer knew it was once owned by "the Great and Powerful Wizard of VWs, kaferdave Cormack" (am I am 99% sure he doesn't) that doesn't make it worth anywhere near what it sold for.

Red Fau Veh Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:40 am

I think it is awesome that the buses sell on there for so much! Why would anyone hate it? Doesn't it make everyone's bus more valuable? Or are we supposed to be angry now because buses cost to much? :lol:

Thomas Pedigo Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am

Red Fau Veh wrote: I think it is awesome that the buses sell on there for so much! Why would anyone hate it? Doesn't it make everyone's bus more valuable? Or are we supposed to be angry now because buses cost to much? :lol: Well...it does infact promote more bus's being hacked into fake 21/23 window deluxes. Do YOU think this is a good thing?...I don't.
Example: the '56 Wolfsburg panel recently...the seller cant even wait for completion before listing it.

Granted, not BJ specific, but you get the idea...

EverettB Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Red Fau Veh wrote: I think it is awesome that the buses sell on there for so much! Why would anyone hate it? Doesn't it make everyone's bus more valuable? Or are we supposed to be angry now because buses cost to much? :lol:

I think that is debatable.
It definitely makes every Joe Blow with a rotted-out Bus in their yard think it's worth more now though.

No reason to be angry at the price unless you wanted that exact Bus.
There are plenty more out there for far less.

Red Fau Veh Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm

gt1953 wrote: I talked to one of the those guys for quite a while and that is all he does buy them clean them and flipp them. What's wrong with that? It takes a lot of money and work to get the bus to an auction, and if there was no profit in it no one would bother. Sounds like smart folks making good business decisions imo.

Gary Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Red Fau Veh wrote: gt1953 wrote: I talked to one of the those guys for quite a while and that is all he does buy them clean them and flipp them. What's wrong with that? It takes a lot of money and work to get the bus to an auction, and if there was no profit in it no one would bother. Sounds like smart folks making good business decisions imo.

Well, people generally gripe that the younger generation isn't interested in vintage vehicles as a hobby. **That complaint is supported by data (from the Department of Transportation) showing that 49% of 17 year olds have a driver's license, a more than 25% drop since 1978. Media coverage of vintage auctions of record setting prices of vehicles sends the message that this is a rich man's game. The end result is that it intimidates younger people from trying to get involved in the hobby.**

Couple that with the cries from people (meaning posts on this and other automotive forums) when there is proposed legislation calling for limits or even banning of vehicles over a certain age then yes, it is a problem. It falsely inflates the market, prices people out of the market, and relegates these vehicles to the status of being a trophy rather than something to be appreciated, maintained, and used as intended. So if these vintage vehicles are to be nothing more than a high-priced trophy, then why shouldn't they be banned from the roads?

** Auto Restorer Magazine, December 2012, Volume 24, Number 11

Dean1 Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 pm

If (former) Cormack VWs are worth that kind of money, let the search begin....

jingram Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 pm

How is it that the 66 21 window sells on wed night for 47 k and the 67 21 window sells for 165 k on fri night? The wed seller must be pissed and the fri buyer will be when he finds out he. ???????
What a crap shoot.....

CLASSIC CAR GUY Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am

suebug wrote: Just heard the BJ auction will not be held in Costa Mesa, CA again anytime soon.

yep the orange county auction is done, new location is Reno during hot august night, OC just was not a good auction, I always did well there, most other sellers didnt

CLASSIC CAR GUY Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 am

EverettB wrote: Big money!

seller was a friend of mine, he brings one every yr this bus was nice, not perfect by any means, he was figuring it was gonna do 80-90k but on a late sat night at Drunk O' Clock as we call it it did 165,000!! think he paid 45-55k, the auctioneers knew they had two hot live big money bidders cause cameras zoom in on bidders and there bidder number badge and report back to monitors to the podium, that stuff you dont see on tv there's about 80 small remote high def cameras hidden all over the area in the overhead you cant bid from anywhere in the arena without the podium seeing you, pretty high tech

Dave Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm

CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote: EverettB wrote: Big money!

seller was a friend of mine, he brings one every yr this bus was nice, not perfect by any means, he was figuring it was gonna do 80-90k but on a late sat night at Drunk O' Clock as we call it it did 165,000!! think he paid 45-55k, the auctioneers knew they had two hot live big money bidders cause cameras zoom in on bidders and there bidder number badge and report back to monitors to the podium, that stuff you dont see on tv there's about 80 small remote high def cameras hidden all over the area in the overhead you cant bid from anywhere in the arena without the podium seeing you, pretty high tech

Classic Car Guy, could you send me a PM? I originally built that Bus back in about 2001 as a Daily Driver, and it was never ever meant to be a showpiece. If I can find the new owner, I can tell him a LOT about that Bus, like why the antenna is bent, why there is a wierd-looking piece of sheet metal over the fan shroud duct on the 3-4 side, the complete specs on the engine, the trans, etc etc.

Muthashabubu Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 pm

[quote="Dave"] CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote: EverettB wrote: Big money!

Classic Car Guy, could you send me a PM? I originally built that Bus back in about 2001 as a Daily Driver, and it was never ever meant to be a showpiece. If I can find the new owner, I can tell him a LOT about that Bus, like why the antenna is bent, why there is a wierd-looking piece of sheet metal over the fan shroud duct on the 3-4 side, the complete specs on the engine, the trans, etc etc.

Maybe he can get you in touch with the mechanic of the person that bought that bus.
You think someone paying that much money for a bus is going to work on it themselves?

carterzest Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:56 am

kamzcab86 wrote: CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote: Well its that time of year again, Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale, heres a link to all the VW's...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlines...01/20/2013

A Vanagon?! :shock: And it was originally bought at a dealer I frequented as a kid! :shock:

Too bad BBB is that same weekend... I'd love to be there in person to see how much that thing goes for.
Quote: Detailed InformationLot Number: 405

Auction: SCOTTSDALE 2013

Sale Type: NO RESERVE

Price: *$19,250.00

Year: 1990

Make: VOLKSWAGEN

Model: WESTFALIA

Style: FULL CAMPER

Oregon plates? It always cracks me up that people put the MH plates on thier Westfalia's as they do not push back on the DMV, or, leave and go to a different DMV.
:idea:

Bargain!
*Price inclueds buyers commision,.....

Douglas Denlinger Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 pm

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=730&aid=467

Get ready!! Any pre auction estimates to the final sales price?

Btw, this bus just sold very recently, so the seller is looking to "cash in " on the bus craze.

Muthashabubu Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 am

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=730&aid=467

Btw, this bus just sold very recently, so the seller is looking to "cash in " on the bus craze.

Well, since it has the "Very rare front and rear safari windows" :roll:
I will say $133K.

EverettB Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:18 am

Going back to the January, 2013 auction.
I heard from a party that saw this Bus in person that this bus was shiny but in poor condition.
Poor paint, doors didn't fit right, engine and transmission had serious leaks, brakes were bad, etc.:

Buyer beware at these auctions...

CLASSIC CAR GUY Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 am

EverettB wrote: Going back to the January, 2013 auction.
I heard from a party that saw this Bus in person that this bus was shiny but in poor condition.
Poor paint, doors didn't fit right, engine and transmission had serious leaks, brakes were bad, etc.:

Buyer beware at these auctions...

nice driver quality nothing exceptional by any means, and the one that sold sat night for $150,000.00 wasnt any better at all, but hey it was sat night, liquor was flowing and money was flying, but thats a sat night at Barrett... :wink:

ps. the one sold at 150k was bought at Pomona in DEC for 40k and I missed buying it by 15mins... :(

EverettB Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Douglas Denlinger wrote: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=730&aid=467

$126,500:

EverettB Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 pm

A few others

AFAIK, this Bus was made into a 15-Window... I guess that information wasn't important for BJ. :)

"... has a complete new wiring harness which is why all the lights on the vehicle work."
I guess I haven't noticed some of my lights don't work since my wiring is old.
:roll: LOL

ho-dad Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 am

Got to watch the Mecum auction this past weekend and I was amazed that their announcers knew even LESS than on BJ. They speculated that an external oil cooler on a Bay Westie was "some sort of furnace or space heater." :shock: