Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Nice find! Really like the color.

Others have said it already, keep the FI. May take a bit to get things sorted and running, but once it's up and running, you'll really like it.

-Dan
Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the input for sure.

So, in this picture, there is a green connector, just like the injector connectors, hanging loose.....I don't see anything that it could have plugged in to.....unless it is hidden from view, in front of the fan shroud.

What would this supposed to connect to? All of the injectors are connected......so it doesn't go to one of those. O2 sensor?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see it to the left in this picture also......

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Axel Breaker Earl wrote:
.......So, in this picture, there is a green connector, just like the injector connectors, hanging loose.....I don't see anything that it could have plugged in to.....

I retract my previous statement about lack of molestation, upon closer inspection I see a missing EGR valve, and that dangling plug that used to connect to it is a 75-76 feature, a 79 should have a mechanical EGR. The smog sticker says 79, but the FI system says earlier, could it have been swapped?, or was the decklid swapped?, what's the first 3 digits of the VIN?

Missing EGR:

Sticker showing 79 model year:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
what's the first 3 digits of the VIN?

And what's the engine number (on engine case, just below the alternator stand)?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
And what's the engine number (on engine case, just below the alternator stand)?

I have not looked nor taken a pic of the engine number yet. I will do so once it is at my house, and post it in the thread. I don't believe that anything has been changed or swapped, I feel like the lady that has owned it for decades would have told me if there was anything changed, since she's owned it anyway. But, stranger things have happened I'm sure! Thanks guys!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Axel Breaker Earl wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

OK, so it's really a 79, the early harness must be the result of some other previous repairs.
Once you get in deeper we can tell more by the part numbers on the AFM (air flow meter) and the ECU (big silver box on the RH side wall behind the back seat).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

So, I found a pic online of a EGR system on a 79 Beetle, and it appears that this is the EGR system that was removed on my Beetle. I can see where the upper EGR tube would extend to the lower EGR tube through the engine compartment floor. I was wondering what went to those 3 holes, and now I know!

Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

This might be a better pic of the EGR system that is removed on my 1979 Beetle.....

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Interesting, some later beetles may have still used the "flying saucer" electric EGR, VW ditched it completely on buses after 76.
Here's some more on the type 1 system: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674795&highlight=egr

So since that's not a California system that could indeed be the OG harness, sorry for the false alarm.

Слава Україні!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I have the electric flying saucer EGR on my 1979 Beetle.
Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Well......a little update......Hurricane Helene put a "Stop Work Order" on my plans to retrieve my new purchase last Thursday.......so the plan is to try again this Thursday!
Hopefully we can get it moved over to my place so that I can start working on it! Keep your fingers crossed for me!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

That's an acceptable excuse, hope you and the things you love are OK.

Слава Україні!
Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Thank you Busdaddy. We were very lucky, no trees down on the house, but one did slowly fall onto my detached garage. We were out of power for only 11 hours.....I have friends who still do not have power. All said, we came through it all very well, I think. After nearly 58 years of living on this piece of property, I have never seen the wind like we had it during the peak of hurricane Helene. Hopefully we don't see it again anytime soon.....I was afraid we were going to lose a building that night!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

And to think that my insurance company is going to cancel me Oct. 23 (homeowners and vehicles) because they "feel my roof is too old" even though it has no leaks, because they "feel" it's too much of a risk. They want a new roof by a licensed roofer.

Of course the insurance company would have no idea if a "nice looking" roof would've been installed by a licensed roofer, or if my home has working smoke alarms, and no idea if I installed my dishwasher properly so it doesn't flood out, or if my vehicles have too-old tires, or if an ASE mechanic did my brakes, etc. Ridiculous that someone from ground level could make this decision !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

The Insurance company cannot dictate WHO installs your roof......as long as a permit was applied for and secured, and all inspections for the new roof were approved by the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ). The Homeowner has a right to install their new roof themselves.......in nearly all jurisdictions. Even if it is classified as a "Specialty Roof".

When I re-roofed my own home (12.5 years ago) 23 years after I installed the original roof, I was up there working on it with a few of my friends that were helping me, and the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) showed up in my yard! Apparently, a roofing contractor "turned me in" as working without a roofing contractor's license! I had a re-roofing permit from the county of course, but the DBPR wanted to know if I was PAYING the people working on the roof with me.....nope, I wasn't.....they were friends and they were helping me! They asked me this question in about 6 different round about ways, to try and trick me into saying that I was compensating them in some way or another! I assured them each time that they are my friends, and they want to help me for FREE!
I finally asked them if I would "get in trouble" if I took them to a restaurant and PAID for their meal for helping me? All of this, and I was a state certified licensed Building Contractor for the past 26 years, at the time......and they already knew this. Had I hired a Roofer to do the work then, it would have cost me nearly $20,000.00.......I did it myself for right around $11,000.00 in 2012 dollars. It is a large roof!

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

A guy I play senior softball with (in Prescott) has a roofing business with his son in Phoenix. He looked at the roof today, said wind, sun, age has removed most of the protective abrasive from the shingles, and felt that no insurance company would insure the home with that roof. So I'll get a quote from him this week, and also will get a quote from the roofing company my next-door neighbor used, as he was happy and his home (2000SF) is a mirror image of mine.

I had tree guys cut down a dead palm tree and really trim back my giant mesquite tree in my front yard today. They spoke essentially no English, and used some app on their smart phone to translate into English to me. But I couldn't have done that. $280.
Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Not bad on the tree trimming/cutting price!

Yeah, I probably have 3-5 more years on my roof before the insurance company tries to cancel me if I don't install a new roof. I should have installed a standing seam metal roof last time.

Well.....I have some open space in my detached, 6-car garage after working in it all day today, and the '79 bug is going to fill that spot in the morning! Finally!
Axel Breaker Earl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

My 1979 Beetle convertible is sleeping in it's new CONCRETE FLOOR Garage/Home tonight!!! Yay!!

Had an issue with the left front brake shoes rusted to the drum so it would not rotate when I went to load it on the trailer this morning......we worked through that and finally got it rotating some, put the wheel back on and pulled it out of the DIRT & GRAVEL floor Pole Barn that has been it's home for the past few decades! Once we got it rolling some, the brake shoes seemed to have less drag on the drum.

First order of business is to get all 4 brake drums and shoes, cleaned up and working properly......then I will start working on getting the fuel system cleaned out and then fresh fuel and finally see about getting it running again.

I can tell already.....she likes the secure Garage where her home is now! No pics today, but I will take some tomorrow!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 1979 VW Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Axel - I sent you an E-mail.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: