Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have installed a retrosound motor 7 radio as well as their DAB adapter and speaker.

The audio Bluetooth works as well as the microphone and speaker for calls.

When I switch to FM or DAB, the tuner seems not to work and I get a 00.00 FM display. What I noted is that the right hand side button does not seem to work.

When I turned on the radio the first time the tuner was searching radio stations but could not find them as my bus is parked in a underground garage.

Now I don’t manage to have the tuner seek anymore. Any help would be great as I really don’t know what is the issue.

I am using a Hirschmann red tip antenna with their DAB adapter. Red wire of the adapter is now connected to the blue power antenna lead. Has it on the ignition positive before.

Thanks,

Phil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

So I did further testing.

The right center know works when not in fM and DAB.

I interverted them but this does not give a positive result.

I checked if my antenna is well plugged in and it is.

When I wait some time in fM or DAB I get a « no info » display.

Does anyone use a DAB adapter here and how did you connect it? I had first the positive wire on the ignition + of the radio and now on the antenna power lead as I finally found the wiring instructions. I don’t think I have fried the adapter having it first on the ignition + as its fuse is still ok.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

Can you post the wiring diagram of the DAB or a link to it?
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

I found the culprit, one of my Motorola male connectors came loose.

I am not familiar at all as to how they should be fitted. Does the ultra thin center wire need soldering in the connector ? How do you do that?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

1950split wrote:
I am not familiar at all as to how they should be fitted. Does the ultra thin center wire need soldering in the connector ? How do you do that?

The Hirschmann antenna? I solder it. You either start with a new male plug or heat up your old one and blow out the solder. You have to cut back the woven coax shield to expose a short length of the center wire. Don't melt the plastic insulation while soldering. Most male connectors have a hole in the end to push the wire out of then solder the tip. The braided ground has to be exposed from the plastic sheath so you can solder a little bit of it to the outer ground part of the plug. Sometimes you can invert the braid back over the sheath.

1950split wrote:
I found the culprit, one of my Motorola male connectors came loose.

What Motorola connector? I thought you put in a Retrosound.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

Yes I have a retrosound radio but want to use my old Hirschmann Antenna. If I am not wrong, the double male connection cable uses Motorola connectors or are they of another type?

I must say that I don’t trust too much my soldering skills, and would rather go with a new cable even if not period correct. Does anyone have a source? I found a cable adapter on the net but it seems too short

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

Oh, that Motorola is what you were referring to. Yes male Motorola to male Motorola it appears.

I bet you this guy could set you up if you didn't want to go generic. He has Red Tip antenna stuff: www.woodyscustomshop.com

He also has bus antennas. Caveat emptor applies here as this is not the "S" type. The mast is unscrewable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AM-FM-Radio-Antenna-for-V...Sw0RlbwDee

That ^^^^style plug that screws onto the antenna is the one I use.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

Thank you. I found a matching cable from Hirschmann .
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

Ok, so I am back again with my retrosound radio problem.

I changed the antenna cable and thought I could enjoy the radio but nope.. Sad

I managed to listen to the radio twice for a few minutes but when I switch it off I can’t switch it on again and use the tuner to find radio stations. It gets stuck on this FM 00.00 display and I can’t even switch off the radio.

I have called the reseller today and he is supposed to come back to me soon with a solution.

But in the meantime I am trying to figure out what is happening.

Could it be that a low battery could lead to these issues? I have attempted for pretty long time to have it work without the engine on. I have noted that scrolling through the menus is really slow and the radio gets stuck quite often.

Does anyone here using a retrosound have face this problem?

I am totally frustrated that it does not work after having spent lots of time and money for a supposedly nice radio Mad
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

How low is the battery?

Is your memory wire hooked to hot all the time?

Is the ground for sure?

Are the speakers all insulated from grounding?

I have a lesser Retrosound; works perfect.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

I have the radio grounded to where my relais are too and the function perfectly. I have charged the battery to exclude the low battery voltage and it does not make a difference.

Wiring is done as per instructions.

So I am totally stuck.
DJ Pierre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

There is an area setting in the menu for USA, EUR or Asia. Could be the issue
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrosound motor 7 - tuner issue Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have received a replacement unit and so far it is working.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: