Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12V / 6V guage ?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: 12V / 6V guage ? Reply with quote

I've heard people say you can run the 6V gas guages on 12V , but

how about running 12V oil temp and pressure guages on 6V?
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nooo, if they are aftermarket gauges like vdo or something its not going to work, cant say how accurate they will work with a volt a drop
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
p.sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this why my fuel gauge is not working on my 12V single cab? Do I need to make adjustments for the 6V gauge in a 12V system?
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara - Gauges are 12V, bus is 6V, right? They will work but would probably read low. You might be able to find 6V senders for them though, the difference is most likely in the senders, not in the gauges. But it could be in both.

p.sullivan - see this thread....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94087
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
p.sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dstefun. That's what I thought. I was messing with the sending unit the other day and could not get it to read on the guage, however, with a volt meter it was fine. I finally realized that the sending unit was not able to ground. I still need to take another look at it but was just making sure I was not going out of my way to come and find out that the problem was the wrong gauge.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V / 6V guage ? Reply with quote

Ha, I was trying to find if anyone had run 6V oil pressure and temp guages on 12V and found this *old* thread where I asked the opposite question.

FWIW, yes you can run a 6V gas guage on 12V, but I was thinking of adding oil pressure and temp to the kombi, and ran into some nice old VDO guages that match the VW style face.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 12V / 6V guage ? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Ha, I was trying to find if anyone had run 6V oil pressure and temp guages on 12V and found this *old* thread where I asked the opposite question.

FWIW, yes you can run a 6V gas guage on 12V, but I was thinking of adding oil pressure and temp to the kombi, and ran into some nice old VDO guages that match the VW style face.

If you now are wanting to use 6V oil and temp on 12V I'm going to advise that it will fry the gauge instantly unless you power them in series. The senders should be ok.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 12V / 6V guage ? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Clara wrote:

If you now are wanting to use 6V oil and temp on 12V I'm going to advise that it will fry the gauge instantly unless you power them in series. The senders should be ok.

Ya, I recently picked up a pair of 6V guages, but I don't want to fry them. I was surprised that this issue hasn't come up a million times. I was thinking to put these in the 12V kombi, as they look nice. Thiese would be much nicer that modern gauges in a vintage dash.
I can use them in a 6V bus, it's just that I drive the 66 kombi more often.

oil pressure:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oil temp:

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 12V / 6V guage ? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I was thinking to put these in the 12V kombi, as they look nice.

VDO used to sell a little round black resistor that was made just for that and they worked just fine but got super hot. This seems to be what people use now: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Runtz-12-Volt-to-6-Volt-Reducers,2374.html
That page says not to use resistor type.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V / 6V guage ? Reply with quote

Thanks!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 12V / 6V guage ? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Ya, I recently picked up a pair of 6V guages, but I don't want to fry them. I was surprised that this issue hasn't come up a million times. I was thinking to put these in the 12V kombi, as they look nice.

It looks as though those have separate negative (-) terminals and don't use the mount as a ground. Can you tell if there is a - terminal ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: