Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghias on the Silver Screen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

the rundown with the rock

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia in Hitchcock's Vertigo Reply with quote

futhark wrote:
Vertigo (1958) has many scenes in which Jimmy Stewart is driving his '56 DeSoto Firedome around San Francisco. His character's platonic friend Midge has a lowlight Ghia coupe. In one scene, Midge is spying from her Ghia on Jimmy Stewart's character while he is entertaining Kim Novak in his apartment...

Here's that scene from Hitchcock's classic ↓↓↓

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

On the Smithsonian Channel's Aerial America series, a Ghia showed up in the episode about the Great Plains.

A couple of Ghias being used as furniture in a documentary film about Woodstock.

J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the "Ghia hunting history" thread but since it's not my find, I'll put it here Smile

Just discovered "Barn Find Hunter" on YouTube, a series produced by Hagerty. A lowlight AND a 356 in the same barn! At about 1:30...

Link

Btw, this host seems to really know his classic cars. There's a moment in this episode where he guesses a covered car correctly after the owner pretty much says he'd never get it right. I need to find me some barns. Oh wait, I need to find some money first!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

^^^ Enjoyed that, thanks for posting. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
On the Smithsonian Channel's Aerial America series, a Ghia showed up in the episode about the Great Plains.

A couple of Ghias being used as furniture in a documentary film about Woodstock.

Ha ha that's awesome . I watch Ariel America every Sunday while everyone else sleeps in. I saw that and went back and forth trying to figure out if it's a lowlight or not. I thinks it's a 60 or later but it's hard to tell for me.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Well, it's not actually a real Ghia, but this model appears in a scene with actor Josh Hartnett in the truly forgettable film, 40 Days and 40 Nights.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

A late-model Ghia convertible shares a scene with Johnny Depp in the movie Blow, about the rise of the cocaine trade in the US back in the '70s.

DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Addams Family. Cool

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

In a recent episode of Wheeler Dealers, Mike drives past a Ghia parked on the street while searching out a car for Edd to restore.

Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the "Ghia hunting history" thread but since it's not my find, I'll put it here Smile

Just discovered "Barn Find Hunter" on YouTube, a series produced by Hagerty. A lowlight AND a 356 in the same barn! At about 1:30...

Link

Btw, this host seems to really know his classic cars. There's a moment in this episode where he guesses a covered car correctly after the owner pretty much says he'd never get it right. I need to find me some barns. Oh wait, I need to find some money first!

I am HOOKED on this show. Thanks for sharing!
1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

I ran across this video comparing the Brazilian made Type 14 Karmann Ghia, the Brazilian-only Karmann Ghia TC, and the Brazilian-only SP2 just the other day.
... at least that's what I think they are doing in the video, but as I do not speak Portuguese I can only guess at what they are saying. Embarassed

Notice the 1967-only style dash (with the angled in-dash ignition switch) and the very funky vent wing windows in the door glass of the 1970 Type 14 Brazilian made Karmann Ghia.
The bumpers appear to me to be different than what I think came on the "standard" 1970 model year Karmann Ghia, but I'm not absolutely certain on that.
The unique Brazilian nose emblem is pretty sweet looking too, IMO.

If that video has already been posted elsewhere here in th Ghia forum, please forgive me.
I did try searching the forum for the YouTube link and found nothing, but obviously several different "versions" of the same video can often exist on YouTube each with their own unique link.
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Advert on UK TV last night featured an elderly couple buying a Ghia to relive their youth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Already covered on the previous page.

Given how many pages this now is at anyone posting should really consider searching the thread with a key word. Lots of stuff has been covered.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

On a recent episode of Fast and Loud The Gas Monkey Garage acquires a Rat Rod Ghia coupe. Look for it around the 19 minute mark and then it appears again later in the episode.

Link

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
On a recent episode of Fast and Loud The Gas Monkey Garage acquires a Rat Rod Ghia coupe. Look for it around the 19 minute mark and then it appears again later in the episode.

Yeah...rides well. Rolling Eyes
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:

Yeah...rides well. Rolling Eyes

Did you notice how the rear seat back was jarred loose and fell down on one side when they hit a small bump during the test drive. Very Happy

... yet Richard still gave the seller $7.5k for it! Shocked

I think the writing on the wall is becoming pretty clear ... if you own a rusty turd of a Ghia it's time to clear coat that bitch, slam it on earlies and put it up for sale.
If you time it right, you just may be able to sell that shiny, low turd for enough to buy yourself a nice clean original Ghia in great shape before the values really start to climb.

Laughing
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

That Ghia certainly is not my taste but I was surprised with how much he paid and sold it for.

My wife was in the room when the show was on and was shocked as well. Ghias have caught on and are going up in value.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

In this TV ad for the new Porsche Panamera, its active cruise control maintains a safe distance from the car ahead...in this case, a very nice late-model Karmann Ghia.

Last edited by rcooled on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
... at least that's what I think they are doing in the video, but as I do not speak Portuguese I can only guess at what they are saying. Embarassed

For a very rough translation - or a few minutes of entertainment - click on the little gear icon at the bottom right of the video window, select "subtitles," then "Portuguese (auto generated)" and then, beneath that, "auto translate." This will give you a drop-down where you can select your language.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 42

Jump to: