Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 hippy dudes and a green bus= problems<-THE ORIGINAL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed this thread and made no comments as I know little of a type 4 motor. I have owned a few bus's since the early 70s with a type 1 motor.Rebuilt 2,1ran,the other ran for a min. and died do to the mains not getting oil. I'm leaving for Cal. tomorrow,flight leaves@ 10:00am. I'm checking out a 74 Panel to drive back to Tx. and use for work. Seller dosnt know what size the motor is,says it has a "hot cam" duel weber 40s.I'm thinking 1800cc as that is what comes with a 74. I'll be staying with my folks in Canyon Country.I can walk to Kochs Resto from my parents home. I'm planing on taking the hippies route I 10 back to Houston. Anyone in Saugas Newhall Valencia with advice or that could help on Sunday/Monday would be great! I may need to borrow a floor jack. Bottomend/Duroshark, again I will echo Great job helping the Hippies.Keifer need me to bring anything back for you? I should be driving an empty Panel home. Thanks and Regards, David K.
geo1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really?
later
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an amazing read......................after everything said and done..........something from engine school comes back.............1st thing............do a compression check. Im not saying that we all get side tracked...and it aint quit the easiast thing to do........(or ya might not have the right gauge to do it)......and other things tend to muddle our diagnostic process....(happens to me all the time!!!!!!!)..................but bottom line..................if we dont have compression in all cylinders.........its time to go to plan B.
With that stated...........................survival is next...........heavy oil.....................and a thing called(I think) a spark plug extender......will get you where you are going...........and thats what this was all about.......getting these guys got home.....and that s the best thing in the world....................if they would have had a spark plug extender..........they MAY have had 4 cylinders firing when they needed it.
all in all ..................amazing support by all who contributed...........I just found Samba...........................and proud to see the spirit of survival alive and well.

Cheers to the hippys !......THEY MADE IT !!!!!!!!

(me) - "Im sorry Officer, its impossible to drive a straight line in a VW camper in a strong wind."

(Officer) - "Are you telling me sir that you are driving an unsafe vehicle?"...........(This no longer applys since installation of new Koni's.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm waiting for Leader to chime in and give us all a " first hand look" at what happened on the road. I think they are in SC right now doing thier thing...

I seriously doubt that they took the Green Beast, but who knows!? I wouldn't put it past them for trying to get another 1000 miles out of it.

And as far as this thread not being of use I have this to add;

People from half way across the world came here to this Samba thread to read the story of the Hippys. I think this is a GREAT opportunity to get to know people from other countries. Lets keep in touch with one another. Personnally, I was thinking about getting on some of the boards linked in the thread.

The simple fact that over TWENTY THOUSAND HITS have occured in a little over two weeks is a testimate that people have a desire to connect to one another on some level. That alone has been one of the most enjoyable elements to me. ( My typing has gotten faster too!)

After makeing SOOOO many new cyber buddies, we shouldn't let this sense of community fade away into nothingness. That would really be a shame. And also, I'm still convinced that there is an amazing unbalence of estrogen to testosterone taking place in Ireland... I cant give up that easily!!!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would make a great movie.
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad someone didnt make a Web Site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be easy enough to find... just type "hippy" into the search and limit it to this forum... and WALLAH! Laughing Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later, I love your....writing style. Please.....post more.

I was planning on doing a compression check right off the bat but I got side tracked. I dont know how that happened 'cause it was like, the first thing I was gonna do.

Tell me more about this thing called a spark plug extender. I've never heard of it.

Breadloafdelux, I'm not availible on Sunday but I may beable to help you on Monday. I have a small jack and tools if you need them. PM me with your local contact info.

Geo1969, yea...really.
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple trick for taking out and removing spark plugs on LAte Bays with Type 4 engines.

When taking the plug out-

loosen the plug slightly, then with a foot long piece of 5/8 fuel line, slip it on the top of the plug and unscrew the plug the rest of the way.

When putting the plug in-

Put the piece of 5/8 inch fuel line on the new plug, place down in the hole and goto town. YOU WONT CROSSTHREAD because the hose doesnt hold onto the plug tight enough to let you cross thread but will hold tight enough to let you correcxtly thread the plug on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
later
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark plug extender.......... again Im not sure if this is the correct name.....but it is a tube about 2 inches long with internal spark plug threads on one end and external threads on the other end that you install in a cylinder that is splashing oil and fouling out the plug. The tube extends to the inside of the combustion chamber no further than the electrode would in a normal plug installation. On the end thats inside the chamber the tube has a small hole in it allowing gas fumes to enter the tube and ignite the mixture in the chamber......all the while keeping the plug electrode in a dry enviroment. It works.............that cylinder may not fire all the time (or not at all) during idle............but when you put a load on the engine....and give it some gas.....it will fire and give power.
These are installed on engines that have known damage but cannot be taken out of service due to budget....parts availabilty.....deadline...etc. ...You would see these typically installed on gasoline powered engines on a jobsite........quarry.....cranes....bulldozers........and demolition cars.

Let it splash....rebuild it................later*

ps...............I guess this would be my 1st entry for a tried .......and proven.........."hippy fix" Very Happy

(me) - "Im sorry Officer, its impossible to drive a straight line in a VW camper in a strong wind."

(Officer) - "Are you telling me sir that you are driving an unsafe vehicle?"...........(This no longer applys since installation of new Koni's.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a spark plug non-fouler...
later
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tristessa ! That is the correct name !!

dr no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, does your "period" button have a problem?
'89 Trooper (Big Bird)
'83.5 Westy (PusBus)
'74 Thing (Chicken of Despair)
'05 KR2 (Hanger bird)
later
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh................sorry. Laughing

.................later*

Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon....Dr no. let him.......post. He just ......seems so....thoughtful. kinda like.......captin ......kirk.
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottomend wrote:
C'mon....Dr no. let him.......post. He just ......seems so....thoughtful. kinda like.......captin ......kirk.

Very Happy i was thinking william shatner
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see your version of Lucy.....in...the.....skywithdiamonds!
I also remembered why there are so few men in Ireland- They're all in England using their blarney to shag all our women!
later
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its amazing.........................to think that so many ....would be so amused.....at so little.

Im sittin back ...................learning.........watching.

Trying to grasp this new world they call Samba.

I may just come back...............................later*

phorce1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottomend wrote:
I rode my motorcycle from the Peoria Ill. area to Amarillo TX in about 8 hours once, but I was riding solo on a 900cc BMW. (Apples and oranges, I know....) tick, tock, tick, tock....

This thread has been quite entertaining.

Don, I should shred the seal before I mail it to you -- it took me a week to get through all the reading. Very Happy It will finally go out Monday or Tuesday, I "relaxed" on the mailing since you got one. I arrived home from Jerome late the night of the 14th, slept in the 15th, and have been at work since 7am the 16th to make up for my Jerome time off.

Get to do it again next month for JBB on the East coast. Pray

Of all the things that went on I find that the above quote from Grease stands out most.

900 miles in 8 hours on a motorcycle. WoW! Rolling Eyes

EDIT:

Oh, and the fact that BamBam edited out all his heckling before I got to read it sorta sucked. Sometimes those are the best posts. #Bad Talk
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad someone caught a that! I may have miscalculated a bit but I would REGULARLY ride that sucker FAST... Actually the very first day I owned it, I recieved a speeding ticket. I was caught doing 100mph. The last morning I rode my BMW ( the day mentioned in the thread), I had left my place in Illinois at around 7-8 am and landed ( litteraly!) it in a farmers field outside of Armarillo Tx around 5 pm that same night. It's a pretty crazy story if anyone wants to hear all the details....

That bike just got smoother and smoother as it went faster. It was (RIP) a 1976 R90/6.... Bright yellow. Very Euro styled. I put a set of Mikuni carbs, $$ exhaust and a good set of rubber on it. I could get it up to around 120 MPH before it would start to protest. At 100 mph it was just humming! bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I feel sorry for you guys in places where you cant turn up the throttle on your bikes. Sad

There was a little news blurb here in the states a few days ago about a guy who was caught speeding by an over head aircraft. ( it's the method they use to catch people who are driveing fast in the countryside) he set a new record for the fastest speeding ticket in that particular state. It was TWO HUNDRED AND FIVE MILES PER HOUR (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) On a Honda 1000 somethin' or other....

Last edited by Bottomend on Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: