Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hydraulic Lifters???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

I am still having trouble with my two rear exhaust valves. My bus is a '76 but I am wondering if the valves were changed to hydraulics. I have tried repeatedly to do a valve adjustment and the feeler gauge never slips right through. Can someone tell me how I can tell the difference, or what I should look for? I was under the impression that hydraulic adjusting nuts were small, 10mm. The adjusting nuts on mine are 14mm.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's set at TDC for the cylinder you're trying to adjust? If not, the valve springs will be under compression from the push rods, and it will be really hard to adjust. Also, exhaust valves do tend to heat up and get tighter sooner than intake valves, so maybe they are just really tight. Double check the rotor on the distributor - it should be pointing to the plug wire of the cylinder you're trying to adjust. If that's right, then adjust away. They may be tight, but you've got to loosen them up to adjust them correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost positive the distributor is correct for the adjustment. I have tried it several times. The gauge won't go even when removing the adjusting bolt.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are dead-certain that you are at TDC for your cylinder, you should get clearance when you back off the adjuster screws, whether or not it is hydraulic or solid. If you do not, you will have to investigate, even going so far as removing the rockers to check your installed valve height against all of the other valves. You might have serious seat recession or stretched valve issues. . . Shocked
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

William Mercer wrote:
I am still having trouble with my two rear exhaust valves. My bus is a '76 but I am wondering if the valves were changed to hydraulics. I have tried repeatedly to do a valve adjustment and the feeler gauge never slips right through.

Hydraulics still let you undo the screw. If you have to back off the adjusting screw to get the feeler gauge in much more than the other values then the seat has probably moved. Make sure the push rod is properly seated in the cup of the rocker arm.

Quote:
I was under the impression that hydraulic adjusting nuts were small, 10mm. The adjusting nuts on mine are 14mm.

The thread size of the adjusting screw is 10mm and so is the thread size of the adjusting nut but the head of the nut is 14mm. Metric nuts and bolts are identified by thread size.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Mercer wrote:
I am almost positive the distributor is correct for the adjustment. I have tried it several times. The gauge won't go even when removing the adjusting bolt.

william,

you say above that there is no clearance even with the adjusting screw REMOVED? is this correct? that would defnitely indicate a sunken valve seat. if you do have a sunken seat, it will be obvious, as that valve spring will sit higher (closer to you while looking at it) than its neighbours.

just to make sure, i have a suggestion:

you have been using the distributor to find TDC, which can be confusing - forget about the distibutor for now. you can (and should) adjust the valves without looking at the dizzy at all. remove both rocker covers. look at the valve you want to adjust, then find the valve directly opposite, on the other side of the engine. so if you want to adjust the very rear valve on the passenger side - #2 exhaust - you are going to first look at it's oppositve valve - the very rear valve on the driver's side - #4 exhaust. turn the engine with a wrench and watch #4 exhaust valve compress until it is all the way in, so the rocker arm has pushed it completely as far in as it can go. you will have to go back and forth a bit to fit the very lowest point of the valve. (a helper is good for this step, as it is difficult to turn the engine and see the valve move at the same time) at this point #2 exhaust valve is ready to adjust. this method is foolproof and works for every pair of valves in the same way. if one valve is completely IN, its opposite is ready to adjust.

so you now have confirmation of #2 exhaust valve at TDC, you are ready to set its clearance.

if now you have zero valve clearance on #2 exhaust don't panic, hydraulic lifters use pre-load, not clearance, so this is not necessarily a bad thing. loosen the locknut on the adjuster and back out the screw. you should be able to achieve some clearance within 2 turns. if the screw keeps backing out and out and there is still no clearance, then you may have a problem.

i am pretty sure you have hydraulics because you said the nuts on the rockers are 14mm.

http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/hydraulicll.htm

there are details there on how to adjust hydraulic lifters which explain it very well.
Wiltshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

Good day all,
Looking at these threads I see that I have come accross the same issue. Mine however was on #1 cylinder exhaust valve. I turned the adjustment screw all the back and still couldn't get any clearence. Also, I hade 14mm jam nuts as well. I pulled the spark plug to see if there was any sign of damage but the plug was fine. I completed the valve adjustment on the rest of the valves. Some were tight and some had enough to get .006" gauge thru before adjustment. Makes me wonder if the lifters were changed from solid to hydraulic. The engine code is GD so it should be solid.
We took the bus for a ride and I ghink it ran a bit hotter than normal.
So I guess my question is that if I have hydraulic valvs lifters how are they adjusted properly?
Running the bus now sounds a lot noisier than it did before.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

Wiltshire wrote:
Good day all,
Looking at these threads I see that I have come accross the same issue. Mine however was on #1 cylinder exhaust valve. I turned the adjustment screw all the back and still couldn't get any clearence. Also, I hade 14mm jam nuts as well. I pulled the spark plug to see if there was any sign of damage but the plug was fine. I completed the valve adjustment on the rest of the valves. Some were tight and some had enough to get .006" gauge thru before adjustment. Makes me wonder if the lifters were changed from solid to hydraulic. The engine code is GD so it should be solid.
We took the bus for a ride and I ghink it ran a bit hotter than normal.
So I guess my question is that if I have hydraulic valvs lifters how are they adjusted properly?
Running the bus now sounds a lot noisier than it did before.

Do you have aluminium or steel pushrods? Solids lifters came with aluminum pushrods and hydraulic lifters came with steel pushrods.

If you had to turn any of your adjusters more than a 1/16th of a turn you are doing something wrong, while if you have a valve you can't get the feeler gauge in at all you probably have a valve seat that has come loose and you need to have the head rebuilt or replaced and shouldn't drive you rig any more until the repair is done.
Wiltshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.
I have investigated a bit more and now know for sure I have solid lifters.
Doesn't really matter much now as I have to replace the head. The #1 exhaust valve is sunk.
Can one just replace one cylinder head or is it best to do both?
I have taken a video of the engine running but having some difficulty posting it.
I'll figure it out later.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

It is not absolutely necessary to do both heads, but you should certainly pull them both for inspection. If you can afford it go ahead and send the second head in and have it checked out by a professional.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu May 26, 2016 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wiltshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

Good day again,
So I'm looking to buy new heads. Just going to do both. I love the bus and will have it forever so what the heck...

Is there anything I should know that's out of the ordinary when purchasing new heads?

I have the engine code, I know the bore. I know I have oval intake and oval stepped exhaust ports.

any off the wall advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

don't drive it until it is fixed. If a seat comes loose it can destroy the rest of an engine if it isn't the owner's day.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

Wiltshire wrote:
Good day again,
So I'm looking to buy new heads. Just going to do both. I love the bus and will have it forever so what the heck...

Is there anything I should know that's out of the ordinary when purchasing new heads?

I have the engine code, I know the bore. I know I have oval intake and oval stepped exhaust ports.

any off the wall advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

The Spanish AMC heads are the only ones out there, there is controversy about the quality of the seats, springs, valves, and such, but the castings are in general good. Years back everything but the casting was junk and was best replaced before the heads were placed in service, but supposedly these parts are better today. I don't have any first hand experience with the newer heads and haven't seen any dependable feed back.

You can have the AMC heads gone over by places like Headflow Masters or Hams Automotive Machine. Either is quite expensive but if you want an engine that will last several hundred thousand miles this is the way to go.

Depending on the condition of your present head casting, Headflow Masters may be willing to rebuild them.
Wiltshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

Thanks,
Since I'm all the way up in Canada I am going to hunt in house. I think I can get decent heads from CIP1. I will document everything and post it as I go.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

I haven't personally done business with CIP1, but I'd recommend researching their feedback before you pull the trigger.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
Wiltshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

Good day,
I did ask who made them. They are made be American Casting?... I can't remember exactly as I working at the same time. I googled the manufacturer and saw that they made heads for all kids of makes and models.
I tried something yesturday. I have been working on this bus for several months and have just got to the engine portion of the project. It ran well from what I thought. I was wrong, I know this now. I drove it a bit but not much. In town and back. Everytime I went up a hill it would ping. So I looked at the timing. Set to 12' on idle. Lol. Changed to 7.5 after removing points and install of pertronics(sp). After that there was an obvious lifter rattle. It was always there I'm sure. Just figured it was an old engine. So I looked at the valve lashing. It was a mess. Plus #1 exhaust valve is sunk. Looked at the sticker inside the engine compartment lid. 0.006". Ok. Great no problem. Done, all adjusted. Yes, I know I shouldn't have run it but its most likely ran that way a long long time.
Nope. Worse then ever. Research, research research. Looked at pics and pics.
Tonight I'm pulling push rods and the lifters from #1. I was told over and over that I have solid lifters but I think the PO didn't know s_____! If the bus was run with valve lash and hydro's I'm thinkin all the lifters will need replacing plus maybe a full rebuild. I have no budget for that right now. Two heads, gaskets, tube seals and a set of lifters on order. All the high end parts. No cheapies. OEM. Lots of work to do. Hopefuly the cam is OK. I'm going to try and photo as much as I can while doing it. As you can tell I'm a little crazed over the whole thing. I have always wanted a westy just like this. I'm in for the long haul for now. I believe it can be saved. The frame/body are in great shape. Not perfect but great. I'll catch up later when I find out if its hydro's or solids. Btw. I did a test run after hydraulic valve adjustment. Ran quiet, like unbelievably quiet but no power. Lifters are all broken is my guess and idled a bit rough. But the heads still need to be replaced so....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

AMC is "Amadeo Marti Carbonell, S.A" in Spain. Their air cooled heads are the only ones out there other than some very VERY expensive custom racing castings. Len Hoffman at Hoffman Automotive Machine in Georgia buys pallets of their heads, pulls the seats, guides, springs, valves etc., puts in better parts and sets them up like they should be. He has different configurations depending on what they will be used with. I have a set of solid lifter heads on order right now. He is quite trustworthy, and skilled. He has the equipment to do the correct job.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

If the bus was run with valve lash and hydro's I'm thinking all the lifters will need replacing plus maybe a full rebuild.
Not necessarily.
http://www.syncro.org/boston_bob-hydrauli-lifter-lore.html

I did a test run after hydraulic valve adjustment.
You need to determine if you have hydraulic or solid lifter and adjust accordingly.
Lifters Hydraulic or Solid ?

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

If you set solid lifters with preload as per hydraulic lifters, they will be nice a quiet but the engine will make little power.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifters??? Reply with quote

Wiltshire wrote:
Thanks,
Since I'm all the way up in Canada I am going to hunt in house. I think I can get decent heads from CIP1. I will document everything and post it as I go.

German supply in Toronto sells the heads with upgrade options. Better valves, springs.... Also look into his seller feedback. I never had any problems but others have. If you are close to TO even better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: