Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
I took a fairly close look at the hinge and it seems that if i shortened the flat 3/16" steel stop plate it would allow it up a bit. Also if I notched the hinge bracket that attaches to the hatch where it meets the stop, it would give it even more lift.

Thoughts?

Gordo.

That torsion spring setup is a pretty ingenious and complicated thing. Are you sure that allowing the hinges more movement would not allow some part of the mechanism to come loose?

No, I'm not sure. But, even 1/8" change at the hinge stop, would equate to more than 1" at the end of the hatch. If I could get 1/4" at the hinge and over 2" at end of the hatch, I'd be happy, and not hitting my head as much........

'til I lower the bus more.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I took a fairly close look at the hinge and it seems that if i shortened the flat 3/16" steel stop plate it would allow it up a bit. Also if I notched the hinge bracket that attaches to the hatch where it meets the stop, it would give it even more lift.

Thoughts?

Gordo.

That torsion spring setup is a pretty ingenious and complicated thing. Are you sure that allowing the hinges more movement would not allow some part of the mechanism to come loose?

No, I'm not sure. But, even 1/8" change at the hinge stop, would equate to more than 1" at the end of the hatch. If I could get 1/4" at the hinge and over 2" at end of the hatch, I'd be happy, and not hitting my head as much........

Gordo.

Please keep us posted on what you try, and the results. I happen to be short so it won't really affect me, but I am always curious about stuff like this.
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Thoughts?

Gordo.

Gordo.

Please keep us posted on what you try, and the results. I happen to be short so it won't really affect me, but I am always curious about stuff like this.

Take a closer look at the mechanism.

If you just change the stop, it will "cam lock" and you'll have a fun time getting it closed by yourself without a helper and a prybar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

How many guys are running KG5409 rear shocks? I'm not going to be super slammed, so don't think the Vette shocks are the best choice for me.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

The KG5409 are perfect for me, I've had them for over 4 years now. If I need to replace them, that's what's going back on there. They have the right dampen and rebound, for sporty handling. Good stroke length too, they don't rub the spring plates.

I installed my Bus Boy's rear swing axle kit in 1989, they recommended the KG5409 for their kit, when I talked to them in 2011. I'm not sure how other kits would work with these (disclaimer).

I'm lowered, not slammed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a freeway flyer transmission on my 60 bus, and the rear drum is dead. Sounds like the drum is from brazil thus bad quality.

here is a picture from today:

Is there a shop in US or Canada where I could find a set with good quality and that is already machined for a short axle.

Looking for any lead on this.
Thanks in advance for help.

Jerome
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I have a new freeway flyer (3.88 R&P) small nut RGB transaxle. I am planning to lower it thereby eliminating the RGBs. Once lowered and RGBs no longer does the term "small nut" go away? Or said another way...do the terms "Small nut or Big nut" only apply when the RBGs are still in play?
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

The terms small and big nut only apply to the bus with RGB. I am not sure of the change over year on the bus trans from small to big.

When you convert over to a SAK you will be getting a type 1 or bug set up and they only come in a 36 MM axle nut. There might be something other than 36 MM for the type 1 but I have never seen or heard of it, I am sure the people in the know will either verify or correct me, but the 68 trans you need will only come 36 MM.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't sure whether or not there was some other gearing I should be aware of when I drop my bus.
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
Thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't sure whether or not there was some other gearing I should be aware of when I drop my bus.

Do you already have the modified spring plates and axle tubes, or a SA kit?

If your 3.88 trans is setup for RGB's, you're going to need to move your ring gear, to the other side of the case, aka flipping the ring. Otherwise you'll have 4 reverse gears and one forward.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I'm assembling a new narrowed beam I purchased 2nd hand. Do I need to grease up the entire spring packs, they are degreased and neatly taped together. I assume I need to smother the adjuster "blocks" that the springs go into as well? What grease should be used? The beam has red urethane bushings.

Thanks!
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I needed to replace my rear shocks cause I noticed that my old shocks have failed. I have a swing axle set up but the rear mounts are bizarre to me. Have a look.

The angle of the lower rear shock mount of the transaxle is damn near at a 45 degree angle.

Come to find that the PO had the shocks bolted on previously by a grade 8 bolt that had been heat bent to support the lower shock mount:

I need some advice, I have some new KYB shocks and ready to put them on. Shaved off the top to fit the OG shock mount at the top but not sure how to properly fit these to the lower shock mount. Fabbing a bolt to mimic what the PO did seems do-able with some heat and some bending jig but that doesn't feel the most sane to me. Any advice?
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Well, I was able to fab a bolt to match the former PO's solution.

If anyone has a better idea for a proper solution or if ya'll think this works just fine, let me know.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I think some people cut off and relocate the upper mount, in an effort to attain better geometry/alignment of the shock with respect to its mounting points.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
Well, I was able to fab a bolt to match the former PO's solution.

If anyone has a better idea for a proper solution or if ya'll think this works just fine, let me know.

That axle tube is clocked 45 degrees out of alignment. Your end casting should have the bolt holes at the four corners, not top/bottom/left/right.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around how that happened. I am guessing that the axle tubes were installed on the wrong sides.

Here is a beetle rear suspension setup. Yours should look nearly identical to this when properly assembled.

mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

So its been about a week now with the new KYB shocks on the rear and the bus is sitting about 2 inches taller in the rear now than the front.

On the front, I have springcoiled shocks ala

or http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aft...me-p-15435

Does anyone know if I have a way to get two extra inches of ride height on the front to get the bus sitting level again? I've never adjusted these types of shocks before but hoping I can find two inches by adjusting the shocks a bit higher.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

do you have lowered spindles?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
So its been about a week now with the new KYB shocks on the rear and the bus is sitting about 2 inches taller in the rear now than the front.

On the front, I have springcoiled shocks ala

or http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aft...me-p-15435

Does anyone know if I have a way to get two extra inches of ride height on the front to get the bus sitting level again? I've never adjusted these types of shocks before but hoping I can find two inches by adjusting the shocks a bit higher.

In that photo, just behind the upper trailing arm you can see an area around the shock body that looks like little ramps growing taller and taller. That is your height adjustment system. Unfortunately, you will not be able to gain 2". Also, that would not be a safe way to accomplish the task anyway.

You have a custom beam installed judging by the aftermarket side plates. Does the beam have adjusters welded into the center? You may be able to asjust them all the way up to gain more ride height.
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

i run ww springplates on my lowered bus and the bilstein shocks, they work awesome. the nice thing about them is the lower shock mount is on the springplate, so when pulling axel to remove the rim the shock stays bolted up.
brese73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

67 lowered with flipped spindles, 68 bug trans & modified spring plates. Im having an issue with tire wear. Bus rolls down the road straight as an arrow, but there seems to be a positive camber issue. Outter edges of my front tires are wearing. I installed the proper amount of spindle shims correctly. Anyone experience the same? Solution?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 85 of 100

Jump to: