Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to rail buggy and VW engine need help!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmart045
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

I bought a rail buggy with a 1968 motor. It's smoking so I know it will need rings soon but can't get it to idle. Put new carb and intake on it and new plugs. All from the guys at a VW shop. I'll will have to get the exact carb I bought but I try to adjust idle with screws on carb with no change at all. I have to hold down on throttle just to keep running. Any ideals or help? Thanks!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

Are there any electrical connections on the carburetor that aren't hooked up ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

Do you have pictures of your engine setup.
Saying an engine is from 1968 it would be hard to say if it is all stock or someone in the last 48 years has modified it.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Jmart045
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

Yes there was I finally found out that the idle aid valve has to be hooked to negative side of coil. What about the electrical pay off the choke? Is idling and running good now. Has anyone every put a 1999 vw bettle motor on a rail buggy? I got one for $100 and suppose to run and drive.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

Jmart045 wrote:
Yes there was I finally found out that the idle aid valve has to be hooked to negative side of coil. What about the electrical pay off the choke? Is idling and running good now.

The pilot jet cutoff valve needs to be wired to the (+) side of the coil with 12 volts constantly. The choke is your winter starting aid.

Jmart045
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

What is that even for?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

Jmart045 wrote:
What is that even for?

If you're talking about the idle valve, It's so the car won't "run on" or "diesel" after you turn the key off. The positive side of the coil will give you 12 volts constantly when the ignition switch is turned on. I believe the negative side of the coil will pulse on and off as the points open and close (not what you want).
Just hook it to the (+) side of the coil and you'll be golden. Listen for it to click when you turn the key on and it's working.

Jmart045
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

Awesome thanks! Have you or do you know anyone that has put a 1999 vw bettle on a rail buggy?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

Crumco Motorsports

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Featured in Dune Buggies & Hot VWs.

They've built several others. Some, like Black Beauty above with original VW steel body shells and some with all fiberglass bodies.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jmart045
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

What I was asking if anyone has taken the powertrain and put it on a rail buggy. That's my plan so far.
Jmart045
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New to rail buggy and VW engine need help! Reply with quote

What I was asking if anyone has taken the powertrain and put it on a rail buggy. That's my plan so far.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: