Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion-
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Time for another road trip, woot woot! As the subject reads this trip will be from Durango to Greeley, for a family reunion. The trip should be around 800 miles round trip, nothing to long like the other threads right now. This will be the first trip of length with my new engine. It has around 1400 miles on it now and is breaking in nicely. I recently had the second service done to the engine in preparation for this trip. I also had the transaxle fluid changed and the brakes adjusted while it was in the shop. I can easily do that maintenance but my time is limited these days and while it was there I figured why not. I'm intrested to see how the milage is. I feel it has been low although I got 19.9 on my last small road trip. We'll see as the engine loosens up more of it improves, if not I'll make some jet changes.

This weekend is also the local bus off road trip, the Southern San Juan trip. Which.......I should be going on but.....I have the reunion that my wife wants to go to....sooooo I'm missing the 100 mile dirt road camping trip with 12-15 other buses. Sad. There is a current thread on the trip in the camping/event forum.

Currently my plan is to leave tomorrow after work, around 6, and drive to the Friday night campout and meet up with the buses going on the trip. The campout is right on our way and is about 3 hours away. Saturday we will continue on our way to Greeley which is about 4.5 hours from the campout. This will split the trip up nicely, because on the way home on Monday we are going to power through and drive the whole way in one day.

The bus is pretty much packed and ready, can't wait to get on the road. Im sure there'll be lots of down time and I'll be updating with pics. Thanks for reading.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Sweet! Looking forward to this thread. Last time I was in Greeley was 1987. I imagine my memory of it has been altered by... progress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Looking forward to the pics enjoy
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

On the road!
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Awesome trip so far!!!

Lunch today in Salida, Co on the Arkansas River.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Getting 21.9 MPG, more to follow...
’65 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Very nice. He made it Applause Now tell him to sleep. Crazy F'er

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Grand total was 39 hours before I got 3.5 hours of sleep, and I'm currently driving i70 to Tulsa eta 12 noon and hardly watching the road. One big plus about interstates...phone service! Haha awesome meeting you rich!!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Nice pic. I made it home! Tighten that belt Rich or I will be forced to flood you with samba threads describing over heating from belt slippage. Enjoy Greeley, the ex-X-mas tree forest sounds cool. You must play Primus Del Davis Tree Farm whilst camping there.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
You must play Primus Del Davis Tree Farm whilst camping there.

I used to blast that song when we went to the Del Davis Tree Farm, which is sadly out of business -- there's a fire department on the site these days. One of the guys working there didn't have much sense of humor about the song... Laughing

Stuart! Enjoy being able to do 36+ hours with no sleep while you can, the skill probably won't last forever. Ask me how I know... Laughing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
You must play Primus Del Davis Tree Farm whilst camping there.

I used to blast that song when we went to the Del Davis Tree Farm, which is sadly out of business -- there's a fire department on the site these days. One of the guys working there didn't have much sense of humor about the song... Laughing

Stuart! Enjoy being able to do 36+ hours with no sleep while you can, the skill probably won't last forever. Ask me how I know... Laughing

Skill nothing that trip was fantastic!

Laughing

No coffee or energy drinks either...Shocked

206-841-7324
[email protected]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Tighten that belt Rich or I will be forced to flood you with samba threads describing over heating from belt slippage. .

No cooling issues here, here's a pic of my temps as we pulled into Bailey, Co yesterday afternoon.

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Finally some down time, it's been non stop going since I punched out Friday at 530. Friday we left Durango and headed to Del Norte to hook up with the guys going on the Southern San Juan off road trip. The bus buzzed right along without issues and we pulled Wolf Creek pass with ease. We got to the campout around 1030, everyone was still up and they had a nice fire going. We hung out for a few hours and I was left as the last man standing. I woke up Saturday around 8ish to the sound of a T4 pulling into camp. I looked out the curtains and it was Stu!!! That crazy guy drove strait through all the way from Seattle (area) all the way to southern Colorado. We all hung out, ate and BSed till about 1030 or so before hitting the road. While at camp the guys retimed Stus engine, it was running like shit and had no power. Turns out not only was the timing out but several vacuum lines had melted, woops. Stu left camp just before we did and he headed to Napa to get some vacuum line. When we got to town he had the lines replaced and was filling up. From there Stu and I car-a-bused it north on 285 all the way to Bailey, Co where we parted ways. He went to his grandmas house I'm Denver and we headed north of Denver to Greeley. It was a classic T1 vs T4 battle, he had the legs in the flats and I pulled him on all the hills and passes. We did make a stop in Salida where we had lunch at The Boathouse overlooking the Arkansas River. It was good to meet Stu and I'm glad he successfully made it to Tulsa without dieing. Although there was a time when he passed me and I thought he was going to go head on with an oncoming car, man it was close. After we parted ways in Bailey we cruised to Greeley with out any issues. Bus ran great, the temps were excellent and the gas milage was pretty good, with our best tank being 21.9 MPG. There was a huge party last night with lots of beer and a live band, super fun! Right now I'm just hanging out as my son falls asleep, it's nap time!!! Here's some pics.

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Here's a pic of all the guys at the campout. Only one guy in this photo is not on thesamba.

’65 Deluxe Build
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Looks like great fun! Stu, you have a camper bus and you drove straight through? What's WRONG with you? Cool Shocked Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

nice! sad i missed the campout.

I owe you a beer though, so if you're around tonight or decide to stick around denver longer tomorrow swing by the shop!
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Looks like great fun! Stu, you have a camper bus and you drove straight through? What's WRONG with you? Cool Shocked Laughing

Full story with my next thread update with pics. Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

i love aesop rock
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Great report and can't believe you met up with Stu! Good work guys.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

On the road home, 398 miles to go plus a stop in Denver.
’65 Deluxe Build
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Greeley, Co. -Family reunion- Reply with quote

Looks like it was a great time! Nice trip report, Rich. Cool Nice to read that there were no mechanical mishaps!

Stu, you must have been pressed for time, huh? That's a lot of miles on a route that must have been really beautiful to stop and smell the roses on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: