Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for early link pin shims?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone know a source for early (20mm) link pin shims?

I've had the steering assemblies off to have the king pin bushes done and one of the shims from the lower left hand link pin was missing. A bunch of the rest (20-odd) are scored, some quite heavily.

The lower left hand king pin bushing was also worn which I'm guessing is because the shim was missing from that link pin. Seems like too much of a coincidence?

The link pins, roller bearings and bushes look to be in good condition, with just some hazing/scuffing where the rollers have rolled on the pins, but I can't put it all back together because I'm missing that shim.

Can I get away with re-using the scored shims, or do I need to find enough to replace those too?

Ta

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

Think the only way to tell if you could use the scored shims would be to measure them with a micrometer. That way say if you stack four worn shims and find that they add up to the amount three new shims would be....

Find a fastener supply shop near you and inquire about hardened thin shims like that. If they have ones that have too big of OD, you should easily be able to belt sand those down to size.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

Other option would be to find a shop that rebuilds the bus spindles and/or sells the full link pin kits. More than likely either will have individual spares.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Other option would be to find a shop that rebuilds the bus spindles and/or sells the full link pin kits. More than likely either will have individual spares.

Thanks Eric, I've put a wanted ad on the SSVC forum over here, in the hope someone will sell them separately.

If I have to buy generic shims, any idea what spec steel I should ask for? I don't know what grades class as 'hardened'.

Just measured a bunch of the scored shims with a digital vernier guage and they all came up between 0.50 and 0.52, so I reckon I'll get away with just replacing the missing one.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

Worked at a fastener supply shop for 8 years. Never heard anything like a code for the hardness, just that the washer was "hardened".

Micrometer would be better for measuring, but probably using an old shim would work....

Might want to lightly sand the shim a little smooth so it does not dig up the surfaces on either side of it.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Worked at a fastener supply shop for 8 years. Never heard anything like a code for the hardness, just that the washer was "hardened".

Micrometer would be better for measuring, but probably using an old shim would work....

Might want to lightly sand the shim a little smooth so it does not dig up the surfaces on either side of it.

Found shims in the end via VW Classic Parts website in Germany. Not cheap Shocked but I wasn't having any luck anywhere else.

Couldn't find anything off the shelf that was close to the right inside and outside diameters. Tried the only other place over here that I know rebuilds king pins, but they wouldn't sell any parts. Wolfgang International over there advertises them, but their checkout page wouldn't calculate postage to the UK and they didn't answer my email. I even tried a couple of places that I found online over here who advertised laser cutting of shims, but they wouldn't sell to the public. In the end I decided to bite the bullet and pay VW's price, rather than wait around indefinitely.

I had another look at the shims that I have too. I remembered that my dad gave me his old micrometer. It's imperial, so I've never bothered using it, but all the shims that I took off, even the heavily scored ones, are between 0.0195 and 0.0205 inches, so close enough to 0.5mm to re-use the better ones I think. I'll ditch the worst scored ones though and use the new ones from VW (assuming their website had the correct part numbers).

Fingers crossed...

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

Good to hear you got some coming. How much per each??
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Good to hear you got some coming. How much per each??

Enough to make you cry. €2.40 each!!

If that's not bad enough, they wanted €25.00 to ship to the UK. Luckily we have family in Germany, which brought the shipping down to €7.00 and they'll forward them on for free.

I thought long and hard about it, then got drunk and bought some anyhow.

It was either that or be unable to drive the truck for an indefinite period and the good weather doesn't last long here.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

That is steep. Just make sure to keep the front end greased up at the regular intervals and hopefully those parts will almost last forever.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for early link pin shims? Reply with quote

I found some shim stock in sheets - both hardened and brass- from hobby stores with RC airplane stuff-

Then with a circular panel cutter and grinder- you should be able to cut an exact duplicate.

Will let you know when I get started on mine.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: