Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 kombi bring back help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Hi everyone, a few months ago I purchased a 1965 kombi barn find that had been stored properly since 97. The man I bought it from was the original owner and has been for 51 years meticulous in keeping records and care for the van. He is 71 now and his cancer has returned. This is how I came about being the second owner of such a treasure. Overall the bus is in excellent shape with very little rust. Of course its not running and needs a complete brake overhaul which I am quite capable of completing myself. I currently own a 68 bug and a 72 Ghia which the Ghia I have owned (2nd owner also) for 24 years. I have had quite a few vw' s in my life time and have always done all my own work on them. At present my triage of the bus I have found that the starter armature was fried and I bought a new 6v and put it in. I've replaced the distributor also and rebuilt the dual 32 pdsit carbs. I'm getting fuel and I'm getting fire and everything is timed correctly but can't get it running. This is a matching numbers engine that the owner upgraded with the duals, p&C's and old school scat exhaust Back in the late 60's early 70's. OK finally here is my question for all experts that might help. The battery is charged fully and when I turn it over it sounds like something is dragging slowing the turning. When I pull all the plugs and have no load then of course it spins freely but makes a " clunk" every 4th revolution. Through lots of diagnosing I think its either a warped flywheel or possibly a bad gland nut. I have check for end play by trying to pull back and forth on the lower flywheel but it doesn't move at All. I intend to pull the engine soon and inspect the clutch and everything because I need to remove the fuel tank and redo it. I've tried to be as specific in my question and what I'm doing but if I've left out something I'm sorry as it is a lot to start off explaining. Anyone willing to help is appreciated.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

That sounds like an awesome bus, you should post some pics as soon as you can, congratulations! Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Hey thanks I will post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how. I will post pictures of all of my VW's but I can't figure out how to set the size that the website will accept. I'm using my " stupid phone" to post with.......or is it operator error .... hmmmmmmm Rolling Eyes

Have any idea about what's dragging on the bus engine?
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

I don't know, sounds like one piston has a problem. But I know you should wait to try and start it until some of the better people here have a chance to comment on it. It could be bad if you do and something screws up you original engine. Original buses like yours need to be carefully diagnosed.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Thanks I will, that's why I'm asking for help because I want to properly get it going as gentle as possible. I tried again to upload some pic again but it said my file type is not accepted. One day I might get it all going Confused
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

You can email me the photos if you want.

It's weird that it had dual carbs - that is not normal for a '65 but someone may have added them in the past for more power.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Solid looking Bus.

Definitely want the story behind that press pass.

Don't tow backwards, it's bad karma ( old nautical meme, I'm sure you were just positioning it)
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Any carb that has been sitting for 20 years needs to come apart for cleaning and new accelerator pump diaphragms.
Nice find, looks amazingly solid
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Odd distributor too?
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

jrmicrobits wrote:
When I pull all the plugs and have no load then of course it spins freely but makes a " clunk" every 4th revolution.

Every 4th full revolution or every 4th 1/2 revolution?
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Well I believe its every 4th half revolution because it goes....... 123 klunk 123 klunk 123 klunk. That's the best way I can describe it but the " klunk" is very faint but I can hear it. When I put the plugs back in it drags and turns slow with a mild grinding sound. With the plugs out and turning it over by hand it seems to Be hard to turn sometimes on #1 or #4 or #3 different each time that's what makes me think that the needle bearing in the gland nut might have fallen apart causing the sound or uncommon dragging but I'm not sure any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the response Cool
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. The original owner put the duals on it and a Mallory dual point dist. With a merged header and scat muffler back around 68 or 69. That's about the only mods he made to it being he was the only owner until I got it. As far as the press pass I'll have to ask him more about it but I think he said he did some reporting for a local news station back in the 60's when he lived in California. he bought the bus new and saved every receipt,dealership document, window sticker, payment booklet, service receipt ect.... he gave me a whole pile of documents pertaining to the entire history of the bus since 65. Quite amazing to me as well as being one of the most interesting fellows I've meet in years. He also was a shop teacher for 2 different colleges in his career.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

jrmicrobits wrote:
123 klunk 123 klunk 123 klunk

Have you taken off the valve covers?

Sometimes on a long-time-stored engine a valve will stick in the open position. Then you come along and crank it and the pushrod falls off the rocker, the piston comes up and hits the valve/rocker into the pushrod and bends the unseated pushrod and jams the valve open.

Did you squirt oil into the sparkplug holes before cranking it the first time?
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Yes sir I have taken off the valve covers and checked to make sure all rockers were moving by having my son rotate the engine. I pulled all the plugs first thing and put a little marvel mystery oil in each cyl. And a little down each push rod tube to get to the lifters then let it soak for a day or so. I then static timed the engine when I put another dist. In because I had a hard time finding replacement parts for the old Mallory. I put fresh oil in and checked the filter screen for any grit or metal bits ( very clean). Even the inside of the cyl heads and rocker Assembly's are nice and shiny clean for such an old engine. Once I installed the dist. I put fresh plugs in the new plug wires and had my son turn the engine over and they all fired. Then I moved onto the carbs.looking at the push rods none appear to be bent as the valve lash all checked out at .006.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

jrmicrobits wrote:
Yes sir I have taken off the valve covers and checked to make sure all rockers were moving by having my son rotate the engine. I pulled all the plugs first thing and put a little marvel mystery oil in each cyl. And a little down each push rod tube to get to the lifters then let it soak for a day or so. I then static timed the engine when I put another dist. In because I had a hard time finding replacement parts for the old Mallory. I put fresh oil in and checked the filter screen for any grit or metal bits ( very clean). Even the inside of the cyl heads and rocker Assembly's are nice and shiny clean for such an old engine. Once I installed the dist. I put fresh plugs in the new plug wires and had my son turn the engine over and they all fired. Then I moved onto the carbs.looking at the push rods none appear to be bent as the valve lash all checked out at .006.

You are so far ahead of most games I'd say. Can you do a compression check? The pilot or flywheel theory is not likely but stranger things have happened.

If you crank it without plugs will the oil light go off? If so, turn the key off after a few more rotations after the light goes off then immediately turn the key to back on (not crank). Does the oil light stay off for a tiny bit of time?
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Mr. Barry I haven't noticed the oil light coming on or going off. I will test the circuit to verify it is working as the bus was stored for many years and wouldent be surprised at any failing circuit. I also have a screw in type compression tester. I will check out both of these issues and post my results. Last night I took a push button starter switch I have and by passed the key switch and headlight switch only producing the same results so I would say that both of those switches are working and can eliminate them as a fault location. Thank you for your interest
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Man that looks like a good bus, congratulations! Maybe you can post some pics of the interior when you get a chance.
jrmicrobits
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 kombi bring back help Reply with quote

Well I pulled the engine this weekend and quickly figured out what was causing the dragging and clunk sound. I found that the spring clip on the drivers side of the throwout bearing had come out and was chewed up by the flywheel.intermittingly getting stuck between the bell housing and flywheel teeth causing the starter to drag. The other spring clip was just barely hanging on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: