Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello all new to the forum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

The third digit is a 1 of the vin alman 72
Thanks for the offer Bertie-bus if you can help out I would be interested let me know what your looking for it I would have to source the hangers and I'm not sure if I would need an adapted plate as well.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Good pics. That is a bug engine. To mount a cross bar you need the oil pump adapter plate.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Bus daddy according to the m plate the planned production date was Tuesday the 30th March 1971
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Bonesy60 wrote:
Bus daddy according to the m plate the planned production date was Tuesday the 30th March 1971

Hmmm...., something sketchy going on there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bertie-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Bonesy60 wrote:

Hmmm...., something sketchy going on there.

Yep, hopefully it's just a simple cheat the tax free system.
Is there a vin plate on the dash too?
I should have the hangers and bar here, I'll check what's there in the morning and drop you a message buddy. Lovely looking bus too btw Cool
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

The plate located in the engine compartment is not a familiar location. It is commonly stamped there and riveted in the cab.
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Where on the dash do I need to look I will check in the morning ? The flat spot next to the plate in the engine bay has no number on it could of been painted over or God forbid removed ☹️
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Mid way up on the dash, left side. Along side the vents more or less, should be a 1/2" +/- x 3"-4" long plate with stamped #s. Look for rivet holes if not there. Not sure of a '73, but look behind driver and pass seat on the bulk heads for plates or evidence there of.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Bonesy60 wrote:
The third digit is a 1 of the vin alman 72
Thanks for the offer Bertie-bus if you can help out I would be interested let me know what your looking for it I would have to source the hangers and I'm not sure if I would need an adapted plate as well.

did you get the number off the Mplate or vin? you want the third number on the dash that you can see thru the front windscreen/windshield. that is the vin.
I think you took the third number from the m plate. I think the first number of an mplate on a 70-79 bus tells year. ( is that right samba folk?) you have an Mplate right by your motor, to the left. I have never seen one there before. on US imported busses, they are either behind the seat, or under the dash on the vent tubes depending on year.
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Quick update I have used the info from this site as to all possible places for numbers to identify the year of the bus, behind the drivers seat has been trimmed with carpet which is spray glued on I have had a feel around and can feel no plate there so if I pull it off I think the best I will find is a couple of holes 😟, I checked the engine bay looked to the left of the battery tray nothing and the flat plate to the left as you open the bay is blank unless I start fetching paint off. In the front there is no number visible on the dash through the screen and behind the kick panels the heater tube comes up out of the floor behind the handbrake but when it gets to the top there is a y splitter on it then it goes to flexible ducting similar to the type used in the engine bay off the exhaust and fan have I covered everything ?
bertie-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Pretty much you have yeah.
I'm tuppence worth? Fuck it! Enjoy your van, it looks lovely, go make awesome memories and have some adventures Cool
I'll have a look for the hangers and bar in an hour or so and drop you a line
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Yeah I think I'm just a bit stressed about it but once I have done my best to get the info I'll just concentrate on enjoying it. I am goin to raise it up a bit and fit a towbar for the camping trailer then we will be of to Devon this summer 😀
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bertie-bus
bertie-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Bonesy60 wrote:
Yeah I think I'm just a bit stressed about it but once I have done my best to get the info I'll just concentrate on enjoying it. I am goin to raise it up a bit and fit a towbar for the camping trailer then we will be of to Devon this summer 😀

Shame you are so far away, my pal offered me a late bay towbar for £20!!! I already have one fitted though
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Yeh that's a shame I would be interested in that as well lol
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Looking at that M-Plate, it looks to me like the original engine VIN has been filled and painted over (thick textured paint) and the M-Plate riveted to the left.

Surprised there is no evidence of a dash VIN, but really looks like an attempt to register a newer vehicle with an older VIN - like someone said probably for TAX or MOT purposes.

I know my 77 Westy has a 78 VIN plate on the dash and the engine VIN filled in, but it is actually a 77 (The 77 M-Plate matches the filled in engine VIN.)

In my case, I believe it was just a case of a replacement dash 78 into a 77, as there are no TAX or MOT benefits between 77 & 78 here in Canada.

If you are able to find the original VIN somewhere, you should check the stolen vehicle databases to make sure it is not a stolen vehicle that has been altered for nefarious purposes.

In my case, the original M-Plate was still under the dash on the left, and I could faintly make out the engine vin, so I was able to check both the original and new VIN as clear in the stolen vehicle databases.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Ok because I can't leave shit alone and I need to know what's going on I have taken the paint of the flat area inside the engine bay and this is what I found.

I did a check through a friend on the vin number and he sent me this

Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Is there any way of finding out details where it was imported from as the check says it was imported in 1982 ?
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Bertie-bus did you have any luck finding that engine bar ?
bertie-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Morning buddy! Got engine bar but not hangers :-/ will have a dig in the container for a pair
Engine bar £40 but posting this thing will be a bigger for the shape/weight
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: