Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello all new to the forum
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Hi all joined the forum a few weeks ago been reading up after I took the plunge and bought my first VW bus ( well first VW full stop ) I'm looking to raise it up as the guy who had it before me dropped it to low for a comfortable ride he said it had a adjustable front end and he lifted it for me before I collected it. I have spent a month using it and doing research and finally decided to take the plunge and post a few questions having read a bit more I don't think the shell is a 71 as the reg and plate say it is it looks more like a later model to me but thought you guys with more knowledge about them would be able to give me more info once I figure out how to post photos I will add a few, I hope to get to no you all as I drive you mad with question ( mainly of the stupid variety 😃 ) thanks Ian.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

"don't think the shell is a 71 as the reg and plate say it is it looks more like a later model to me "

I know you brits love modifying these things, so it may be a 71 with updated tails and front end...

the Fletcher resto book discusses ways to do suff like this, though I would guess most people try and 'age' their high-light bays into older bays and not vice versa...
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Managed to post a few pics anyway 😬 At least I did one thing right today lol.
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

It's not just the look as in lights front and back found out today that it has no rear engine support beam and its mount only on the gearbox mounts and that year did not have them from what I was told hence the confusion and me coming to the font of all knowledge the samba 😀
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

All Baywindow buses incorporated a rear cross member (mustache bar) to support the engine. On a late Bay ('72-'79) there is a mid mount where the transmission and engine mate together. I have seen the 1600 engines hung without the mustache bar. It is highly not recommended. Not sure what year you have but it looks like a '73-'79.
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

I'm looking for an engine rear beam now but unsure which one I need the w shaped or the straight one.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Do you have a T-1 or T-4 engine? Post a pic of the engine. I'll guess a T-1 as it is right hand drive. It may be a special order T-4 though. We need to see the engine.
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Here is the engine no as well
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Posted same pic twice ☹️
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

It's a 1600 single port from a beetle I think.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

You need this type of bar.

The first bar is more common, yet they both work the same. Does your engine have all three holes? The bottom one is the most important. Some cases don't have a boss to drill into if the holes aren't there. If you truly do have a bug engine you might be in a bit of a conundrum. How about a pic or two of the bottom of the case ?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

You have the front and rear bumpers of a later bay along with the later bay engine compartment configuration. Not too many people modify forward in time so I would guess your rig is a late bay.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

bumpers, slider door handle well, gas cap door, I say 73
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

It's a newer Bus on a 68-71 pan, that's why the numbers match the owners papers. You might not use the bar if you make rear trans mount and let the motor hang like a Bug, you have to crawl under and look how the trans. is mounted. Without the bar the motor would hang almost to the ground as the bar is the rear motor mount.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

what is the 3rd digit in the vin? also, run the M- plate. the weird location of the riveted M plate by the motor is different too. (to me anyway. may be standard practice across the pond)
bertie-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Hey matey, welcome!
That bus you have is a late and no doubt someone has swapped the vin over for a tax exempt one. No drama but I'd make sure it's 100% that reason and not a ringer Shocked
The engine mount you need is not the one pictured above as you need a square box section type one (I know this as my bus is a '72 so also has the later rear end like yours. I had a 1600 type 1 motor fitted but I've swapped it out for a 2.0.
I have a couple of the bars lying around but you need to look at the rear of the chassis rails and see if the hangers are there first. Let me know if I can help Smile
Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Bonesy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

That's the best I can do in the dark on the drive there are no hangers not sure if you can tell from the pics.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello all new to the forum Reply with quote

Welcome!

Bonesy60 wrote:

Posted same pic twice ☹️

A close up of that plate as well as the stamped number beside it may help a little, looks like a 73 from here but could be a 72 with a reskinned nose and later bumpers as well, so it could have a late 71 build date.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: