Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

something that I've been marinating for some time (must have "need" hubcap cali style)
but riveting those sons of bitches was hard, so, first, I've try riveting some stainless pops, but was a floppy work, and I removed it all
so I needed to come to terms and fit those hard sons, but alone is difficult (don't have enough hands for it), and saw this on line, so let's get plagiary
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

uuuuuuuuu pretty shiny bling bling Laughing

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

KEWL! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

Good job! Applause

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

arigatou Laughing
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

Very cool. I dig the smoothie + hub cap look.
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

I've waited for so long to get my hands on a set of smoothie, I should have spent my money on a good set of clamping springs to
As I fitted the hubcap I broke one spring, remove the wheel replace the spring, broke it again, did it 4 times, I gaved up, and order 4 new kits
It's a time consuming ordeal, I was extremely pissed off yesterday (this happen on the front wheel) as I'm doing one wheel at a time
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

I use very short flathead machine screws and nuts (nuts on the hubcap side) to secure clips, making it easier to change them if they fail. The quality and brittleness factor of the clips I've gotten over the years encourages a method of attachment less permanent than a rivet.

That being said, I appreciate the ingenuity of your system no less because I do it differently...and someone insistent on a original reproduction wheel would like that a lot.
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
I use very short flathead machine screws and nuts (nuts on the hubcap side) to secure clips, making it easier to change them if they fail. The quality and brittleness factor of the clips I've gotten over the years encourages a method of attachment less permanent than a rivet.

That being said, I appreciate the ingenuity of your system no less because I do it differently...and someone insistent on a original reproduction wheel would like that a lot.

I've try the screw method, but it needs a 6mm bolt and the clips are bored to 5mm, and truing to enlarge the hole I broke the clip, again, it can be related to the cheese steel
I'll see if with the new ones I can do your method, but machining 20 head bolts is hell of a work
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

The machine screws I used didn't require any alteration of the clips to use them....when I get some later this summer for an additional set of rims I have I'll post the size on this thread.
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

ok
so, something like this correct?

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

motoRAT wrote:
I've try the screw method, but it needs a 6mm bolt and the clips are bored to 5mm, and truing to enlarge the hole I broke the clip, again, it can be related to the cheese steel
I'll see if with the new ones I can do your method, but machining 20 head bolts is hell of a work

Why would it need to be a 6mm bolt? The hole in the rivet fits a 5mm bolt nicely and that is very close to the diameter of the rivet body (I have several clips and rivets from WW in my hand now.) A bit of a countersink on the back of the wheel should allow a 5mm or 10-32 countersink screw sit no higher than the old rivet (90 degree or 82 degree countersink angle respectively.)
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

I was stuck on the 6mm because the hole in the rim was a 5mm and was thinking in opennig a tread on it. but wythac open my eyes to the bolt thingie Laughing
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

so far

motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

ok all 4 done Twisted Evil

JasonSatterthwaite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

motoRAT wrote:
ok all 4 done Twisted Evil

I love the look of your wheels and rim. Do you mind me asking what sizes they are?

Jason
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: one man rim spring hubcap riveting tool Reply with quote

JasonSatterthwaite wrote:

I love the look of your wheels and rim. Do you mind me asking what sizes they are?
Jason

Thanks Jason
Why should I mind my friend? the rims are stock wide 5 x 15 (widen back in the day), and the tires, front 205-60-15, rear 235-75-15
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: