Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

I'm trying to get about .03 valve clearance running an 86c with 1.4's. I was thinking about changing to 1.3's to see if I can find it. I also have an 86B I can run with the 1.4's. I'm thinking my motor would like the higher duration of the C. It is a 2387, L7's, 10.5 with SS pistons. Anyone running an 86C with 1.3's? I would have to buy the 1.3's to try. My heads were cut a bit too much so trying to find solutions. Deck is .053 so I can't add it there.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

Jason,
Sell the pistons and get wiseco/AA forged ones. You're killing yourself. I just don't understand it. Adjust to 10.5 cr and have over .204ths of valve clearance with 1.5 ratio, +2 adv and .584 lift on an 86c like me. I'm running 11.2 cr. Your chasing and trying to make compromises to make the squishes work. Get it built so you can enjoy it.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

^^^^^ after having built a ss motor, this is very good advice

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

Yes, I know, won't do it again. I don't have my car ready for the motor yet so I have a bit more time to figure the motor out. I spent too much time to give up now. We'll see how it runs first. I would be good if the heads weren't cut too much again. It's actually 10.6 now. Realistically I don't think the little bit less lift will be that big of a difference. Would be easier to just mill the dome off if I do flat tops.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

Is that the specific cam and lobe center recommended for the SS pistons?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

John said nothing special. Build it normally and add some more compression. It would be fine if I used smaller valves, cam or less compression. Shoulda woulda coulda
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

Sorry for the small hijack, but what makes using these Pistons such a pain in the ass?
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

Never saw a picture but I think you have to deal with valve clearance, and you may not want to notch the specific dome.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

Yes, domed piston. 42mm valves or smaller would be good. 44's a tad too big
67_looker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
^^^^^ after having built a ss motor, this is very good advice

X2

Don’t make compromises with the cam timing and valve lift. You will lose more than you gain with the SS pistons. Run a tight deck between 0.035-0.040 with flat tops. SS pistons is best suited for small cam drivers, with high compression to gain MPG
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

I running 10t1 comp and Fk10 straight up on my 2500cc with 42x37 valves and I get at least 80 thousand piston dome clearance and if jetted right dat ting going be cherry cuz I feel the compression is to low to make a diff for the dome.I tried retard 2 deg and feel the same but idle not working for me so I got it back to normal and work good.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

I had some time to mess around with it today. I checked the rockers on a different set of heads and they came out to 1.41. They are 1.4's. I thought maybe I should check on the heads that they are going to live on, 1.48. There's my problem. Getting .577 out of it. Gonna mess with the rocker blocks, they need to come down anyway. Hopefully I can find the clearance. I realized they would be different head to head, I just didn't think they'd be that different.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 86C with 1.3 or 86B with 1.4 Reply with quote

almost every set of rockers with the pushrod adjuster end Ive had to lower .060" to get the geo right.(cb, bug poop, empi&clones) I have some that need to go even lower a lot lower I think they were made for long valves& diferent stud location.....got 2 sets of them new extreamly nice but almost useless.around 1.6 ratio as they are, they were just plain made rong. I think thats where the needel bearing rockers got such a bad name as that kills needels&other parts as moct people dont have a clue as to properly setup rocker systems/valve train.
have you changed cam degrees to see where it go,s and what it needs?figure how much they need clearancing? addvance a little and get more ex clearance then knotch the intake if needed. there are loytsa ways to skin a cat, some get what you need some get you all scratched, some get you bit and some get you arested. pic your pleasure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: