Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saying hello and a reality check question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

Hello Vanagon people!

My wife and I have been thinking about getting a camper for years, and I think the time has come to get serious about it. First I figured I’d come here for a reality check.

So, we’re both in our 40s and have camped avidly since we were kids. I grew up taking summer trips in a Winnebago motor home, and some of my best childhood memories come from those trips. We backpack, tour on our bikes, and when we road trip (which we do frequently) we usually split our time between tent camping and motels. I also spent several years restoring a BMW 2002 and a FJ55 Landcruiser (with a chevy big block swap!) so I have pretty decent (though rusty) mechanical knowledge/ability. I don’t have a ton of time for wrenching these days, but the prospect of an older vehicle doesn’t bother me all that much.

So my reality check: we’re thinking about the van kinda like people might think about their cabin in the woods in the sense that you can just use it to get away and not worry so much about the weather etc. There are so many weekends especially in the late fall and early spring that we’d like to camp but just don’t feel like having to deal with marginal weather. So, is spending a rainy afternoon playing cards in the van doable and at least potentially pleasant? Or coming back from a long hike when it’s cold and hanging out inside? I’ve seen a bunch of heater mods etc. that look cool.

I realize this is a question that totally depends on who you’re asking, but I’d just like to get a general idea. Hanging out for a day in the van when the weather sucks doable? Doable and fun? Like being in a cage? Etc. I’m asking on this forum btw because unless something incredible comes along in either EV or bus form, we’re going to get a Vanagon.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

I like being in the van. I find it soothing and comfortable. If you pack well and keep everything in its place and organized its very pleasant. Too much stuff raises the stress levels as you may have to move one thing to get to another, then move two more to get to one, which I don't like. Turning the front seat around changes the feel of the "room", rear seat up or down, its like rearranging the furniture at home to make it seem new again. We've poped the top in the rain which works fine, just need to let it dry first chance you get.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

I've camped many times in the Vanagon in the rain. For me, it's important to have either an awning, or an EZ-up next to the van. You can sit in the van with the slider open, or sit outside and still stay dry, with no feeling of claustrophobia.

Ed
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

Some of my best memories are in the van in the rain...everyone (four of us) gathered around in the
"living room", playing cards, telling stories or quietly reading while listening to the raindrops... Cool

It's better than the same day in a tent, I can tell you that for certain! Rolling Eyes Wink

Yes, the extra space under an awning helps a lot, so go for it - you'll love it!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

It's better than the same day in a tent, I can tell you that for certain! Rolling Eyes Wink

This is really the question I am asking I suppose. Probably like lots of you, I have spent a bunch of rainy (and cold) days in tents. The older I get, the less this seems like an ideal way to spend an afternoon. Sure, if I am on some epic backpacking trip and it rains, it's just all part of the fun. But if I have a weekend free and it looks like there's a good chance rain one of the days, camping is removed from the list of things to do.

I am super encouraged by your responses! Some of my favorite times camping in the motorhome as a kid were sitting around reading after a full day outdoors -- and actually also hanging out under the awning taking a nap etc. Definitely adding the awning to the list.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

jkallo wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

This is really the question I am asking I suppose. Probably like lots of you, I have spent a bunch of rainy (and cold) days in tents. The older I get, the less this seems like an ideal way to spend an afternoon. Sure, if I am on some epic backpacking trip and it rains, it's just all part of the fun. But if I have a weekend free and it looks like there's a good chance rain one of the days, camping is removed from the list of things to do.

I am super encouraged by your responses! Some of my favorite times camping in the motorhome as a kid were sitting around reading after a full day outdoors -- and actually also hanging out under the awning taking a nap etc. Definitely adding the awning to the list.

A GoWesty rain fly allows popping the top and staying pretty dry except in more extreme winds, snow etc..

Popping the top adds much more "space".. feels less claustrophobic and allows you to throw extra gear and bags up top for more card-playing or stretched reading room below.

An awning is nice.. but I only got my first one about 2 yrs ago.. prior to that, I'd still enjoy popping an umbrella and goging for a walk in the rain.. to come back and hop into a dry camper van.

An auxiliary heater in the van takes it up one more notch to "cabin-like" experience.

So yes.. your reality has been checked and confirmed.
Several of us winter camp in these things.. Got snow? No roblem. A heater and some window insulation/curtains and you're good to go.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

So our vanagon decisions are supposed to be based in reality?

Crap. I've been doing it wrong!

Honestly the level of commitment required to get the average poorly maintained camper reliable and comfortable is probably comparable to that cabin you mentioned.

Unless you have a peculiar Illness id say most people would be much happier with a pop top trailer camper and a nice escalade to tow it(cheaper too!)

But if you really have a soft enough head the Westy always has been and always will be: King Of The Campground...

Comfy, cozy,versatile, fun and always a conversation starter!

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

So yes.. your reality has been checked and confirmed.
Several of us winter camp in these things.. Got snow? No roblem. A heater and some window insulation/curtains and you're good to go.

Excellent!

And that is super encouraging to hear, because actually extending the camping season into the cold weather is probably more important to me here (in Chicago) than even rainy wx camping. We spend lots of time outside xc skiing, hiking etc during the winter, but we almost never camp. And it's sad because that's when the campgrounds are totally empty. After I hike or ski all day in 20f temps, what I want to do is plop down somewhere toasty and drink a beer, not huddled in my sleeping bag in a tent.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

If you are looking for a "mobile hard sided tent with heat", and you are planning on occasional use, there are a variety of options including the vanagon. Depending on your needs a trailer (pop up or hard side) or a van could definitely work.

To be brutally honest, unless you have the cash to find a well sorted van, or the time/desire/skills to get a 30 year old van roadworthy, the vanagon may not be the best option. Got cash or skills (or both!) then you have come to right place. Very Happy (I still love the form factor though). Just the reality at this point.

Any cargo van can be quickly made into a basic "metal tent". Add a few basic interior items, heater, vent, bed/couch and you can go camping.

If you need to stand up inside there are other options, but it gets more expensive once you move into pop top, high top and high roof vans.

I have never found my vans to be cage like. Judicious and liberal use of windows helps quite a bit (Vanagons have lots of glass). After a full day in the van cabin fever can set in, but its no worse than a tent or similar. Adding an awning can extend the usable space in the rain, which can help.

Having a van/camper/trailer setup and ready to use is such an advantage. There is no comparison to the tent. With some organization, everything is where you need it, its dry, and with a heater its warm. It makes life on the road, or trail much more enjoyable. With moderate insulation, a heater, and curtains you can easily keep a van above freezing in all but the coldest weather. Even van temps in the mid 40sF make a huge difference in comfort.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215

Last edited by MidwestDrifter on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
Depending on your needs a trailer (pop up or hard side) or a van could definitely work.

Though I have seriously wanted a vanagon for 20 years, we actually started this current period of "want something better than a tent" considering small trailers. The problem is that we live in the city proper and don't have anywhere to put one. We do have a garage (that will fit a Vanagon, I checked!) but I am pretty sure almost any hard sided trailer would be too tall for storing inside.

I hadn't considered popup trailers, but they'd certainly fit in the garage. I'll take a look.

I do appreciate the warnings about the dangers associated with getting involved with a 30+ y.o. vehicle. I am trying to keep in mind the worst annoyances of driving my landcruiser on a daily basis, and even more importantly why I finally sold it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

I think you are a perfect Vanagon candidate with that background. You can save a lot of money getting a tiptop rather than a camper which ups the cash game a lot.

Tiintop with side awning will be awesome if you are used to tent camping
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

Welcome!

As others have said, a Vanagon is a great platform for enjoying the outdoors. It is really easy to have everything ready to go at a moments notice without the need for packing gear and getting ready to camp. The more you adventures you take, the more you will enjoy your vehicle. It is odd, but then at some point in time sleeping in a Vanagon can become more restful and comfortable than staying at home. There is no comparison to tent camping.

Having said that, I wouldn't get overly excited about winter outings. A regular 2wd Vanagon is actually one wheel drive and can be a miserable vehicle to drive on slick roads. You can do your research here, and many people have differing opinions. But, at a minimum, winter use will require good winter tires and patience.

Good luck!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

How my family became VW Westfalia campers.

My family camped since Mom and Dad began a family just after WWII.

The years ticked by, they had four sons and for every vacation, we were off camping.
The late 60's rolled along and most of us no longer lived at home or vacationed with them.

Mom and Dad Were tenting alone in Acadia National Park on the coast of Maine. It was one of those cold raw days with never ending rain.
To put it nicely, they were MISERABLE!!!!

They were walking to the bathroom and passed a Westy, top up, curtains open, a coleman lantern casting a happy glow with a family warm and snug playing cards at the Table.

My Mom got Dad's attention, she pointed at the Westy and said "Ralph, we are getting one of those!"

Soon after there was an almost new, White 1968 Westy as their 2nd car.
They would visit their Sons and travel with us until due to health reasons (Dad had heart problems) they gave it up in the 1980's.
They had 3 or 4 Westy's, ever newer models over the years.

Two of us carry on the VW torch with a Vanagon and a Eurovan. The other two? One drools over motor homes, the other lives in the Redwoods with little desire to travel, he's got it good right there!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

Quote:
My Mom got Dad's attention, she pointed at the Westy and said "Ralph, we are getting one of those!"

Mom rocks!

I was five years old when my Dad brought home a 10 cent copy of Eric Hiscocks "cruising under sail" - I read it from cover to cover and swore I would do that someday.

Bought the first boat in 1990 - will sail until I die.

I told my Dad he should get a VW camper so we can go camp in style - if your kid sees things like this listen to her/him...

In my family my brother and I both bought diesel Westies in the same year - the other brother finds his excitement in chartered accountancy in Orange County.

Last edited by Abscate on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

I would generally advise those not into the classic/antique factor to stay away from the Vanagon platform. Yes, they are utilitarian, but the shear age of them warrants pause, imo. I think too often folks thinking about getting into a Vanagon are nostalgic and excited. They don't realize the cost of maintaining them. Not to mention the time necessary. Having experience working on cars, and actually enjoying working on cars are two different things. Also consider there is quite a large technology jump (learning curve) from working on a BMW 2002 to a Vanagon, most notably the fuel system. Working on a more modern vehicle can often frustrate those who are used to working on vehicles that are purely mechanical.

From what I'm reading above, and in regards to winter camping, I'd probably suggest something like a Toyota 4x4 pickup with a FWC pop top camper or similar. This would give you a bullet proof 4wd vehicle capable of snow and a more modern camper set up. Add an awning and you're good to go. One place I always recommend people visit (if you haven't already) is a website called Expedition Portal. Here you can see what other folks are rolling and get an idea of what amenities you'd like.

Vanagons are awesome rigs, but asking this question to a bunch of Vanagon diehards is a bit like asking Harley owners if they like their bikes. I know a lot of people here will probably poo-poo me for this, but I sincerely believe that unless you're really into Vanagons, that there are probably better options out there in terms of initial cost, maintenance costs, time spent wrenching.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

jkallo wrote:
...So, is spending a rainy afternoon playing cards in the van doable and at least potentially pleasant?...

This is what convinced us to get a Westy. We were tent camped at Sequoia NP about 1983 and it had been raining for about 30 hours. Everything was damp or wet and not about to be dry anytime soon. Standing water throughout the campground. 2000 miles from home so packing it all up was not an attractive option.

Across the way was a family in a blue Westy -- they were having a great time. Playing cards, having a cup of tea - totally ignoring the weather outside and enjoying things inside.

That sold us. meanwhile we did pack up and leave about 5 in the evening and drive through the night to the warm and dry Grand Canyon.

Later we got our own Westy and eventually we moved to Arizona.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

Keeping the interior organized and you have your aux. battery working just right for your uses goes a long way to making it a comfortable place to be.

When you can sit there reading a good book or whatever you want to do with the sound of the rain and be able to boil water for a coffee or make some soup it can be a very peaceful place to be. An awning and a radiant propane heater adds to the comfort on those inclement days.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
Vanagons are awesome rigs, but asking this question to a bunch of Vanagon diehards is a bit like asking Harley owners if they like their bikes.

I agree with a lot of this post. BUT, one thing that a Vanagon or Eurovan Westy has that seems to trump other rigs is the large ratio of useable interior space to outside footprint/profile.

My friend has a pick-up truck bed camper and it's really not a place that you can hang out in with much comfort. They always chill out in my Westy when we camp together. That said, I do usually try to invite them or others with newer vehicles when we go on looong or remote trips.
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

Weekend camping a few weeks ago with 2 of my boys and my sister's family. Three kids preferred to play cards in the Van rather than at the picnic table.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Saying hello and a reality check question Reply with quote

the Vanagon is very similar to a (tiny) cabin the woods and moves about as fast

a cabin is susceptible to a forest fire while a Vanagon can outrun a very slow fire, but will sometimes burst into flames itself

the Vanagon is in some ways more like a sailboat, since it is a hole that you throw money into

let's see... I bet I can think of other similarities...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: