Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Hi there guys,

Well i am rather curious person so started research regarding PTO's. I was thinking is there any kind of possibility of installing PTO to the t3/Beetle gearbox...kinda odd but dead serious question? Since we (couple of buddies) are trying to build all purpose buggy we wanted professional opinion about this.

So if anyone can share their information it would be perfect.
Where to get one? How to obtain it? Procedure?

Thank you guys in advance, glad to have this forum Smile Very Happy
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Explain what your trying to do and maybe we can give you some ideas.??
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

For now there are possibility of having winch or turning it into 4x4 in the time of need. These are just first thoughts i have in mind.
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

pto for hydraulics or air pressure is third idea and the more i think i would go in this direction (reason for pto).
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

No, not with a Type I gearbox. Your only choice would be to adapt a transaxle out of a 4WD Syncro.
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Type 1 out of question, what about type3? These two are the choices i have for now, thats why i am so glued to those two Very Happy .

Because i am totally in the dark regarding this thats why i seek your help guys.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Belt drive pump with an electric clutch will be the easiest way
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Okey that is one way to approach the problem.
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Any other advice for this ?
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Subaru tranny....
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

I've worked on some big railroad trucks where the PTO was mounted to the front bumper and driven by a short driveshaft with u-joints. IIRC the driveshaft mounted directly to the crank, in the center of the pulley. If you can't or don't want to do a belt drive. Depending on the type of buggy and if you don't mind seeing the thing hanging off the back. Maybe you can make the whole setup quick release when not using it. I have no idea how well this would work on a VW compared to a big Diesel engine though.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Here is a thread worth looking into..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271863&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The Intelligence of a Man should not be measured by his age....

check out my sand rover t bug build! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287204
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Aww subaru ...im not that kinda good with the money Embarassed that is why i stick with the T3 & T1 transmission (i have no other options) Very Happy

Seems like i asked for taboo XD
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Electric winch.... Or some thing like hydraulic pump or air compressor run off crank pulley with belts...

You will be building a $5,000 transaxle to run a $500 (or less) device...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Electric winch.... Or some thing like hydraulic pump or air compressor run off crank pulley with belts...

Dale

Even if i go in this direction "pto for hydraulics or air pressure is third idea and the more i think i would go in this direction (reason for pto)."
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Type 1 and 3 use the same transaxle. I seem to remember an AWD sand dragster back in the late 80s that used a hydraulic system to drive the front wheels using a glorified engine oil pump. Killed the competition and got protested out of the class. Was in HVWs mag

brad
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Nothin to it.
Simply install the oil pump into the engine from an Autostick application and use the fluid pressure to drive a hydraulic motor. It's only about 50psi, but geared properly it should drive almost anything you need.
Rock on.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Some winches use hydraulics tapped into vehicles power steering system.... If you neet rotational power, how about using power steering pump (belt driven) tied to hydrostatic drive motor...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Type 1 and 3 use the same transaxle. I seem to remember an AWD sand dragster back in the late 80s that used a hydraulic system to drive the front wheels using a glorified engine oil pump. Killed the competition and got protested out of the class. Was in HVWs mag

brad

If I remember right, that was the black widow, it was a mud racer. It originally got protested because it was a 2 wheel drive, thats when they came up with the hyd. drives for the front.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Possibility to put PTO on Beetle or t3 Gearbox? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Type 1 and 3 use the same transaxle.

Rolling Eyes T3 in this guys case means 3rd gen transporter. The "vanagon"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: