Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running like crap - vacuum leaks?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomblanchephoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Running like crap - vacuum leaks? Reply with quote

Hey crew,

Had a problem with my brakes in my '82 aircooled Vanagon for a while whereby my brakes become spongey during driving. To accompany this, the van has never really idled well and would take quite a while to start during the mornings. This has now worsened to the van barely starting in the morning, if at all, and stalling when at traffic lights or otherwise stopped.

From what I have read so far, it seems apparent that I'm dealing with a vacuum leak in either the break master cylinder or booster, however from here I'm at a total loss.

I'm searching for clarity on the issue and what I can start doing to overcome the issue.

Cheers,

Tom
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Running like crap - vacuum leaks? Reply with quote

Disconnect the booster hose from the engine and block it up at the engine somehow and then see if the running improves or brakes get worse - this will show you whether it is a booster issue or not. Then try the same at the booster end - this will tell you whether it is a booster problem or a leaky hose.
johnbyrdgates
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Running like crap - vacuum leaks? Reply with quote

What did the op find out? My 87 is almost stalling on take offs all of a sudden.
Synthead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Running like crap - vacuum leaks? Reply with quote

Link
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Running like crap - vacuum leaks? Reply with quote

Synthead wrote:

Link

Is that a Cuban? Very Happy

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Synthead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Running like crap - vacuum leaks? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Synthead wrote:

Link

Is that a Cuban? Very Happy

Hahaha, it's Chevron's finest Black & Mild!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Running like crap - vacuum leaks? Reply with quote

we use pot smokers here
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Running like crap - vacuum leaks? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
we use pot smokers here

You may laugh at that ^^^ but back in the dealerships I worked in during the Early 70's into the 80's, before fancy test equipment was the norm, smokers in the shop actually were asked to do this very thing.

Take in a big puff of smoke and blow into a tube hooked on to the intake to check for leaks.

Back then, a smoker could smoke in public like a dealership shop.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: