Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big feet / tiny pedals
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

Solutions?

I have size 12s.. if using the brake I am either hitting the gas pedal or clutch pedal at the same time.. can make for some exciting times.
when using the clutch.. I am either hitting the brake, too.. or flipping my high beams on/off.

Surely I am not the only one...

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

When you get the extender you should also upgrade your gas pedal

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1333757

http://www.classicbugparts.com/big-boy-pedal-extender/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

I wear 12 1/2 shoes. I get rid of the flat pedal and use a roller. It is thinner so when I go to the brake pedal, the overlap now misses the gas pedal.

For the clutch, I use the Big Foot pedal extender that moves the clutch to the left 1 inch.

With those two small modifications, I can heel-toe the fuel and brake and be very quick on the pedals.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen.

I'll look into the roller for the gas pedal, too.

These two mods look to be very promising.
.. until then.. I'll be driving only in my skinny shoes. Laughing

Do either of you still have the hi-low beam switch on the forward wall? or did you go to a dash switch or column selector?

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..

Last edited by j_dirge on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

The PO of my buggy whacked the clutch pedal off the stem, moved it over a bit and welded it back on sideways. It provides a surprising amount of additional room, but looks a little funny. I went with the non-logo pedal pads so the VW wouldn't be lying on it's side.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Thank you gentlemen.

I'll look into the roller for the gas pedal, too.

These tow mods look to e very promising.
.. until then.. I'll be driving only in my skinny shoes. Laughing

Do either of you still have the hi-low beam switch on the forward wall? or did you go to a dash switch or column selector?

I use the floor dimmer switches mounted to the forward firewall, to the left of the clutch pedal. Still plenty of room for my big feet to use it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

I have size 13s, still use a flat pedal but bend the clutch pedal over about 1/2" Easy to do on the old style forged pedals, the stamped ones need some heat. I have also cut off the pads and moved them over on others cars.

brad
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

When I was modifying my pedal set for a hydraulic clutch I moved the clutch pedal out by about 3/4". I added a "double leg" roller accelerator pedal at the same time. I don't have big feet but like the extra room between pedals as a safety and comfort improvement.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

The 67 beetle turn signal switch and other newer ones have a dimmer switch button on it. If you get the correct headlight relay it works really well.
I removed my firewall mounted switch and used the column switch a few years ago.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Big feet / tiny pedals Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
The 67 beetle turn signal switch and other newer ones have a dimmer switch button on it. If you get the correct headlight relay it works really well.
I removed my firewall mounted switch and used the column switch a few years ago.

Again.. Thanks all for the input and testimonials.

The extender and roller pedal are on order.. and after a test drive last night, I will be moving my hi/low beam switch.. Will look into that later stock.

Will keep you all posted.

danfromsyr wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: