Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

I have a 66 bus, with a 68 beetle gearbox, 1641 , AK case , dual port, stock heads. Right now my motor is apart for another reason, but I'm considering a camshaft change. Right now I'm using an Engle W100 cam with a stock 34 Pict carb. I found that I use higher rpms when I drive. I would like to install a set of Kaddies because I have used the before on my bug and liked them. So my question is, should I use a 110 or maybe something from the VZ range, OR, keep the 100 but maybe use some 1.4:1 rockers for some more upper end use. I am also not opposed to buying a set of 041 heads either. What do you think?
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

with stock valved heads, you are not really even seeing the full benifits of the W100 @ high RPMs
kadrons would a (small) step in the right direction.
assuming of course that you have a decent header.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

I was wondering how your bus engine idles with the W-100 camshaft and the PICT 34 set-up Mine would not idle at all with all that retard on the ignition the PiCT 34 is supposed to run at. What distributor and where were you timming it? I found those DVDA distributors got to run way over advanced to work with the W-100 let alone the W-110. You like the Dellortos? I saw your (fuel pump question) thread on the 66 SquareBack with the 34's, why not get some 36mm Dell's for the bus then run a W-110 or better yet something even better.
By the way I have been running the 3 1/2 lb Rotary CB-Performance 3193 fuel pump with good luck. But you can get by with stock mechanical pumps on both if they run cool.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

I built a single port 1641 for an early bus, using a scat c10 cam, and it ran really nicely. Great torque (single port haha) and much more pep than an average 1600.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

The stock heads are fine for a 1641cc or even running 88mm slip machine in pistons and cylinders for 1679cc's. I have built a couple of engines using the DRD L3 heads though which are supposed to be a little better than stock but still have stock 35.5mm X 32mm valves which is what you want in a bus. The SCAT C10 is not listed anywhere I think it's pretty close to stock. I have e-mailed John at Aircooled.net about this vary subject a few times in the past and there aren't many cams to choose from if you keep the PICT 34 Carb. The W-100 is about the Maximum cam he recommends. I tried a W-110 with the PICT 34 in a Bus once and it worked but the bus actually lost a lot of low end with it but it ran fine on the highway. Maybe the WebCam 86 Grind, some like the Eagle 2280 cheater camshaft but it is actually a bit milder: 2280.

There is a fellow here in Oregon that put the 2241 cam in his bus with 40mmX35.5mm 044 heads and left the heaters on it, not recommended but claims it's a good combination. I think he is running 40mm Weber IDF Dual Carbs with that combination.

This is another thread I had asking a similar bus cam question as your are asking. Which cam, heads and exhaust would you run and why?.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

This is THE bus cam for dual 1bbls.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Web-Cam-Type-1-Split-Duration-Camshaft-Grind-218-p/00-562.htm

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
This is THE bus cam for dual 1bbls.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Web-Cam-Type-1-Split-Duration-Camshaft-Grind-218-p/00-562.htm

That Cam is Sweet. That really is as perfect as you can get for the set up. Now please get rid of those 1641 thin barrels and put some thickwalls in so you can get some serious miles out of that engine! You have the thing apart anyhow, you will be crazy not to. 1641 might live for awhile in a bug but your begging for heartbreak in the bus.

For $189 you cant go wrong, don't need to machine the case, and get yourself some new heads opened for 90.5/92's anyhow. Then you will have a 1679 with piece of mind.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Piston-Cylinder-Set-88mm-x-69mm-Slip-In-p/vw8800t1k.htm
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.

Last edited by jpaull on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

If doing so, cut the heads for 88 thickwall machine in heads which is same as a 90.5 or 92mm cylinder as far as the head opening goes. Not 94's.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
If doing so, cut the heads for 88 thickwall machine in heads which is same as a 90.5 or 92mm cylinder as far as the head opening goes. Not 94's.

Good catch! I corrected my post.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

Dan, it idles a little lopey at 800 rpm but not terrible like an all out race cam, but I had it idled a little high. At 1000 rpm. It seemed to like it better on cold idle. I am using a 009 with a electronic ignition. Forgot the brand but it's not Pertronix.
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1641 bus cam recommendation. Reply with quote

I'll probably go with the web cam mentioned earlier and a set of Kaddies. I need machine work and a new. case anyway. 90.5s are calling. But I should listen to reason and do 88s
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: