Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

first tune up
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramenk00ker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: first tune up Reply with quote

Hello, I bought my 64 bug two months ago and I'm going to be doing my first tune up tomorrow. My car has electronic ignition already so i believe that all that needs to be done is the spark plugs and a valve adjustment, is that correct?

So the main reason I am starting this thread is because I am unsure how to adjust my valves because I have hydraulic lifters in my engine. Its a 1776cc engine, the owner told me they were bigger cams but I am unsure how big they are. I've tried searching for this and i keep reading conflicting information.

Hope someone can help me out, thank you
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: first tune up Reply with quote

manboykelly wrote:
Hello, I bought my 64 bug two months ago and I'm going to be doing my first tune up tomorrow. My car has electronic ignition already so i believe that all that needs to be done is the spark plugs and a valve adjustment, is that correct?

Don't forget the ignition timing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ramenk00ker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: first tune up Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
manboykelly wrote:

what needs to be timed since i have electronic ignition?
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: first tune up Reply with quote

Assuming you have the typical upgrade...Electronic ignition eliminated the distributor points and condenser. It does not set or control timing. Do a forum search on setting timing and read how to do it. If you can get a timing light, use that too.

You can find tons of help here. Likely, your basic questions have been asked and answered many times, so take time and search the forums. Of course, if you have other questions, simply post them. Dave

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: first tune up Reply with quote

manboykelly wrote:
Glenn wrote:
manboykelly wrote:

what needs to be timed since i have electronic ignition?

You have a points replacement only, you still have the set the ignition timing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: