Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door jamb adjustment for the brave.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Door jamb adjustment for the brave. Reply with quote

I had to replace the front corner of my van after an accident. I was proud of my work and paid little attention to the fact the door seemed to sag a bit. Shocked

Later as the sagging began to wear on me, I attempted to shim the hinge bolts, but found that was not a good option, it simply moved the entire door in the frame. Confused

I could still use the van so time went on and it finally occurred to me the jam had been altered by the accident. Rolling Eyes

Then I attempted to Jack the top hinge point forward using many, many Jack/block combination, many of which were life threateningly dangerous...

Then it hit me: a portapower hydraulic ram, thats what we need. !!!! Twisted Evil

Nothing like 5 tons of hydraulic power in a completely untrained idiots hands!!!!

So then, I had to find one. I really should get better friends because I don't know anyone that owns one.

Again, out of nowhere, it hit me: Rent One!

So, today, I did exactly that. Star Tool Rental around the corner from Peace vans had one with a humongous ram.

I took it home, added a 1" black iron extension pipe, centered that on the lower top hinge bolt head, the ram on the striker and jacked it open about 3/8".

It worked like a champ!

The door used to fall off the striker when I opened it and lift about 1/4" when it hit the striker, made ugly noise and even seemed to move the front pillar.

Not anymore! Smooth as can be!

So, if you have this problem and are feeling brave, try this and report back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Neil2 Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Door jamb adjustment for the brave. Reply with quote

You continue to be hardcore fearless...nice!

Cool Laughing Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Door jamb adjustment for the brave. Reply with quote

My passenger door on the 85 has the same scuff marks that yours does from the bottom door vent hitting the fender.

I tried all the adjustments but can't get the door from striking the fender then closing.

Your idea may be tested again, just not by me. Time to see a bodyman..
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Door jamb adjustment for the brave. Reply with quote

Love it!!!

Did you consider using a bottle jack and a 2x4 or some such arrangement? Or was the rental ram just a lot more fun?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Door jamb adjustment for the brave. Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
You continue to be hardcore fearless...nice!

Cool Laughing Wink

Neil doesn't mess around..... Cool

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Door jamb adjustment for the brave. Reply with quote

Whoa! I have to do this. My otherwise pristine new camper has this issue. I have access to a portapower.

I'm surprised that you put the other end on the catch piece. Didn't that deflect a bunch?

Also, were you worried about the windshield cracking??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: