Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if this can be done? If the FRONT bearings are as "easy" to needle grease as the rear, I'd do it before my next trip! At 180k miles, my whole front suspension needs to be rebuilt. Rack & pinion seals too. This will be done during the winter, or next winter, not during camping season. For now,I just wanna get some fresh grease in there if its feasible.

From this thread by Syncromikey in 2013 ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549904&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ) it looks somewhat feasible. But there doesn't seem to be a 'chamber' to insert the needle to pump out the old grease with the new grease (as there is in the rear housing).

Also I can't tell if it can be done "on car", which would sink the whole plan. What I'd like to do is just push the axle inward a little (off the seals) pump grease in, then (somehow) get the axle back out and tighten the nut. Is this feasible without busting balljoints loose etc?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

It will not work without compromising the seal. It's a hard seal and probably won't heal itself.

But you can always try. It will at least get you closer to actually needing to replace the wheel bearings faster than if you leave it alone!
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

unless you can block off all 360° of the bearing and seal, then find a way to pump in grease, it's not going to work, the grease will follow the path of least resistance, so the only way to get it all the way through the seal is to stop it getting out from the side you are pushing it in from, you could maybe add a heavy oil, grease is basically oil with a thickener, it could get very messy, but it may help increase bearing life.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

One more thing..... if the inner CV is unbolted from the differential, can the axle be pressed inward a bit? Far enough to get off the inboard seal?

THEN, can it be pulled back out with the axle nut?

This kinda sounds like I have to try it myself....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
One more thing..... if the inner CV is unbolted from the differential, can the axle be pressed inward a bit? Far enough to get off the inboard seal?

THEN, can it be pulled back out with the axle nut?

This kinda sounds like I have to try it myself....

You will need to take the axle out of the van. Not really a big deal. then you do have access to the rear seal. Remember this is a double row ball bearing, quite a large assembly. I think it is easier to remove and replace the bearing than it would be to grease it.. or just as difficult. It is not that hard to do and will save you a huge headache\worry on your next trip.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

Here is what the front wheel bearing looks like intact.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
You can see it is factory sealed.

The pictures in the thread you linked to are of removing the old wheel bearing and additional outer seals. You don't have access to the inner race unless you remove the hub. This will most likely render the bearing unusable.

Save your energy for when you are ready to replace the outer bearings.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Yeah I saw that pic, posting it adds to the discussion, I should have done it. Thanks.. I've removed lots of seals like that, they often come out intact. You pry the seal out from the outside (the static interface), not damaging the dynamic sealing interface (the inside). My ENTIRE front end needs complete disassembly and rebuild, but keeping these bearings happy will add comfort. I do have to deal with some CV axle boots ASAP though, so I'm gathering info.

I agree with you that if it's not "EASY" then it's probably not worth the effort. But needle-greasing the rear bearings being "EASY", has inspired me to investigate the fronts. Especially driving on our last trip, 2142 miles. With great comfort emanating from newly greased rear bearings,,,,,, the whole time I'm sitting above the front bearings thinking "when I get home I'm gonna investigate greasing the front".

Consider also the fact that it's virgin territory (an un-explored subject) on the premier vanagon preservation/fanatic website. It's like a vacuum. Members will discuss oil brands down to the gnat's butthair but turn the discussion to needle greasing a wheel bearing that's run 180,000 miles and is still quiet as a mouse? That's INSANE! ( = Vanagon Science).

That vacuum makes the quest for an "EASY" method somewhat appealing to a hardhead like me. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Jberger thanks for the note on the axle. I know you have to bust loose the lower balljoint to take the axle out. Does this balljoint come loose with a few whacks? Or do you have to destroy the balljoint?

Here's my main question:

Without disturbing the lower balljoint.....can you disconnect the inner CV, and then push the axle inward, just off the seal, with enough threads remaining for the nut to draw the axle back outward?

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

Hey Sodo:

I just carry spare front wheel bearings in my Syncro (rears too, FWIW). The bearing size is quite standard, so any shop that can re and re a Honda/Toyota/VW FWD bearing can also do your Syncro front bearings.

I used to slalom a Rabbit many years ago and it ate front wheel bearings until we figured out a way to replace the factory grease with special moly grease. I had to have a "grease replacement" tool made up (picture two heavy disks on either side of the bearing with a grease nipple on one side) and used the new grease to push out the factory grease. This could only be done off the car and then the bearing had to be pressed into the steering knuckle.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Yeah I saw that pic, posting it adds to the discussion, I should have done it. Thanks.. I've removed lots of seals like that, they often come out intact. You pry the seal out from the outside (the static interface), not damaging the dynamic sealing interface (the inside). My ENTIRE front end needs complete disassembly and rebuild, but keeping these bearings happy will add comfort. I do have to deal with some CV axle boots ASAP though, so I'm gathering info.

I agree with you that if it's not "EASY" then it's probably not worth the effort. But needle-greasing the rear bearings being "EASY", has inspired me to investigate the fronts. Especially driving on our last trip, 2142 miles. With great comfort emanating from newly greased rear bearings,,,,,, the whole time I'm sitting above the front bearings thinking "when I get home I'm gonna investigate greasing the front".

Consider also the fact that it's virgin territory (an un-explored subject) on the premier vanagon preservation/fanatic website. It's like a vacuum. Members will discuss oil brands down to the gnat's butthair but turn the discussion to needle greasing a wheel bearing that's run 180,000 miles and is still quiet as a mouse? That's INSANE! ( = Vanagon Science).

That vacuum makes the quest for an "EASY" method somewhat appealing to a hardhead like me. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Jberger thanks for the note on the axle. So do you have to bust loose the lower balljoint to take the axle out? Does this balljoint come loose with a few whacks? Or do you have to destroy the balljoint?

Here's my main question:

Without disturbing the lower balljoint.....can you disconnect the inner CV, and then push the axle inward, just off the seal, with enough threads remaining for the nut to draw the axle back outward?

Quiet as a mouse.. I don't agree. My statement above was.. if you are worried about your front bearings then replace them with the proper FAG units and be done with it for another 180000 miles. Compared to the time and effort you seem to spend on other tasks.. this one would be a walk in the park. For Realz..

To answer your question, you do not need to disconnect the lower ball joint to get the axle out.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Needle grease Syncro FRONT wheel bearings? Reply with quote

I was told that to replace the CV boots, I have to disconnect a ball joint. So servicing my front CVs will be easier than I thought.

Anybody know where to get the seals for less than $20 each? I realize that to change the inner seals the axle must come OUT. My REAR wheel bearings are still quiet and smooth, but the seals were VERY worn out, to where there was daylight between the seal lip and its sealing surface. That suggests lots of slop..... Confused Hmmmmm. I can feel tiny bit of slop wiggling on the wheel (off the ground). Not sure if its in the bearing or the shaft or both. Well re-greasing the rears was EASY and that was a good thing. I guess we'll see how far they go but it's not a daily driver. Them was the rear bearings.

......Back to the front bearings. Howesight, what grease did you use that prolonged the life of the rabbit wheel bearings?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: