Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck Lower Control Arm Bolt
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Stuck Lower Control Arm Bolt Reply with quote

I'm having a tough time getting my LCA bolt off. Not the easiest place to get a good wrench on it and it seems too close to the fuel tank to use heat.

Any other methods?
Can they be cut off?

I have the shock, spring and upper control arm removed and front radius rod bolt out. Does it make a difference if the LCA is hanging loose or has a jack under it?

Thanks
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Lower Control Arm Bolt Reply with quote

It's pretty common for the bolt to rust to the steel inner sleeve of the bushing. The easiest way to get the project moving forward is to use a sawsall and cut through the bushing and bolt at the front and the back trying really hard not to cut into the control arm or the flange on the chassis.

New bolt kits are available.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Lower Control Arm Bolt Reply with quote

i had exactly that happen on saturday, i managed to snap the nut end, rather than try and cut through the rubber, then the bolt, i elected to drill through the head of the bolt, 3/16" 5/16" 3/8"1/2" and off it came, wriggle a lot and out came the LCA Smile

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Lower Control Arm Bolt Reply with quote

I cut mine, both were seized in the sleeve.
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Lower Control Arm Bolt Reply with quote

I will try to cut or drill as recommended.

I did find this thread that had similar suggestions and others may find useful.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606524&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: