Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA Tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

Bought these 1.4 ratio rockers Online after seeing reviews and articles of just bolts on parts with just of the stock 1600db motor with dual carbs and exhaust. I am aware I will need to cut my pushrod but when I go to initially install the rocker assembly I cant get the shaft to sit flush on the head surface like the my previous stock ones would. The gap was about .300. My current push rod are stock about 11 inches. Could my current push rod length be my problem? I know need set it in the middle to get my new push rod length I just Don't want to smash anything down.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

most guys selling 1.4s don't even know how to properly set them up, let alone bother telling the customer how to do it.

First, you install the rockers without the push rods. Set the side play to under .005"/rocker. This will take you 2 hours by itself.

Next, use an adjustable push rod and figure out the length you need. You cannot use the stock push rods, even for mock up, they are too long.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LA Tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

John, thanks for the quick reply, Got the side play where it needs to be wasn't my big issue. But Thanks for telling me about not trying to set it with stock ones. Is it ok to rotate the motor with the adjustable push rod? Didn't think it would be safe. If not is there a recommend length I can cut my current push rods to to help me out in trying to find the middle?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

Do you have a dial indicator with a mag base? You'll need one to find the correct geometry at half-lift. You can use the springs, but it's not recommended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

Be aware there is an "up" and a "down" to rocker stand blocks. Because there is a "step" in the diameter of the rocker stud, one side of the rocker block has a slightly larger diameter hole bored in it. This side must go towards the head. If upside down, the block will never tighten down flush to the cylinder head pedestal.
Rock on.
LA Tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

Bugguy, I do have a dial indicator available, I do understand I need to half lift but where do I start at? Correct me please!!
1.find TDC
2. install adjustable push rod and adjust it to what? .006 lash? Like valve job?
3. Top lift then bottom lift, and divide by two or just simply put it in the middle of the two since using dial gauge.
4. Remove rocker assembly and adjustable rod.
5. Readjust rod to smaller size reinstall rocker assembly.
6. Since still at half lift extend adjustable rod to what extent and gap? Or till it's snug?
7. Now the size of the adjustable rod is my new push rod length?
Thanks all for the help!
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

At some point you will need to confirm that you aren't fouling the top of the guide with the spring retainer.
Do your 1.4's have the adjuster on the valve end or PR end?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LA Tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

The adjuster is on the pushrod side.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

there may also be a step in the shaft holes too so it only go,s on one way. Ive never seen any 1.4 that set up at the internet bs half lift method.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

What are 1.4 rockers doing in a stock 1600cc engine w/ stock cam?
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
What are 1.4 rockers doing in a stock 1600cc engine w/ stock cam?

If I remember correctly, this is a "bolt-on" performance upgrade recommended by John at ACN.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

they work great if the engine has HD springs, and AFTER the upgraded exhaust and carburetion.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing 1.4 Rockers Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
they work great if the engine has HD springs, and AFTER the upgraded exhaust and carburetion.
ditto. it's not realy much to do with the added lift, but more of the faster duration. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: