Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Before anyone tells me that there is a need for fresh air in the cabin, I have an aftermarket A/C that does great and usually run around with windows open. Besides, the "fresh air" I get usually smells like gas anyway.

So question is, what ramifications, if any, will i experience if I remove the fresh air box? I read somewhere about a system that collects the gas fumes and sends them to the rear and through a charcoal canister, but this isn't part of that system is it?

I think I will just need some extra room for the depth of the stereo, so just looking for possible alternatives. If anyone has installed an aftermarket stereo and left the fresh air box, and still had room, I'd love to see any posts or pics or feedback! THanks all! Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

apensity wrote:

So question is, what ramifications, if any, will i experience if I remove the fresh air box?

A huge amount of water in the trunk when it rains, for one...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Well, I planned on capping off the portal and the hoses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

apensity wrote:
Before anyone tells me that there is a need for fresh air in the cabin, I have an aftermarket A/C that does great and usually run around with windows open. Besides, the "fresh air" I get usually smells like gas anyway.

Then you need to fix your fuel tank vent and filler hoses before you start worrying about a stereo
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Pull the air box out and measure the depth to the dash or trial fit as you will need to remove it temporally to hook up everything. The gas smell is because you need to replace all the little plastic hoses under there as they move the gas fumes to the charcoal filter. The stock radio is probably the same length as your aftermarket one.
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Looks like a slight leak in the gas pick-up gasket, so I tightened it down and will replace the gasket. All hoses and everything (pretty much) on the car is new, it was just restored, so now it is just about going through and finding the intricacies that need attention.

However, the dash was repaired from an old hack job, so I have to re-cut the dash to fit the unit. I didn't see where it originally was mounted, and the depth, but I keep hearing stories about how the aftermarket stereos hit the wiper motor, so they can't be too deep. So I was thinking of cutting the dash a little lower than usual. It has the two fresh air knobs on there, with the assembly, so if removing the fresh air box would remove those controls, I could cut a little lower to give some extra space for the stereo.

Just wanted to see if anyone had done this before. Everything has been tried through Samba members, you are all like gold to new bug owners!
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Sorry I don't remember which page but look in my build, I installed aftermarket stereo and retained the airbox and cleared the wiper motor. Note also that the unit needs to be just above the bracket mechanism for the fresh air controls. Mine was a tight fit but it did fit.
LinkeLoutje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Why not opt for some bluetooh solution or anything remote controlled and hide it below the bench? I've seen this, some added a usb cable and created some kind of socket in the glove compartment. Modern stereos are not the prettiest thing to look at anyway!
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

I'd be more than happy to show you my Alpine set up in my 69.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

I don't have a picture on hand, but I have a Pioneer unit in my 72 standard and the air box and all the hoses remain untouched....
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Leave the airbox in. Get a Stereo that fits the hole already in the dash. The car was "just restored" and you're already busy planning how to hack it to shit. Once you cut that dash you can't uncut it without serious construction work and removal of the entire dash. There are plenty of units that will fit already that will give you an aux in (even some OG 70s Blaupunkt units!) to use whatever you want with it. Removing the airbox means Frenching the hood or ghetto plugging the vent some other way or else you will get water in the trunk, all over your new stereo and the rest of the wiring.
You are just creating a bunch of unnecessary work for yourself.
Not to mention the airbox is actually handy for defrosting the windshield on rainy days.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Leave the airbox in. Get a Stereo that fits the hole already in the dash. The car was "just restored" and you're already busy planning how to hack it to shit. Once you cut that dash you can't uncut it without serious construction work and removal of the entire dash. There are plenty of units that will fit already that will give you an aux in (even some OG 70s Blaupunkt units!) to use whatever you want with it. Removing the airbox means Frenching the hood or ghetto plugging the vent some other way or else you will get water in the trunk, all over your new stereo and the rest of the wiring.
You are just creating a bunch of unnecessary work for yourself.
Not to mention the airbox is actually handy for defrosting the windshield on rainy days.

I second this motion.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Earlier this year I removed the cassette stereo in my 1971 and replaced it with a different used 2-shaft unit, both fit fine with air box still there.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Leave the airbox in. Get a Stereo that fits the hole already in the dash. The car was "just restored" and you're already busy planning how to hack it to shit.

The dash was already "hacked to shit", so part of the restoration (not trying to be all original, just make it a very nice "daily-driver" for my daughter) was cutting the hack job out and welding a solid plate into the hole, so there is no hole right now for any stereo (see pic below). However, I will be cutting one in and making it look nice.

The reason for the aftermarket stereo, again, is it is for my daughter and going to college. So I have a slide out screen on a single DIN unit for GPS, iPhone integration, and Bluetooth for calls (not like she'll be able to hear anything though on calls).

Also, the dash I believe in from an earlier year and not a '74? Most '74's I have seen have a hump over the speedo with no louvers on each side of it. Is that correct?

apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

But you guys did talk me into keeping the fresh air box, it was just a fleeting thought... Wink
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

apensity wrote:
...Most '74's I have seen have a hump over the speedo with no louvers on each side of it.

those '74s you have seen are supers. yours is a standard.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

If I were me (and I am) I'd attach the radio under the dash. Then you can put anything you want there, wiring will be accessible, what have you. There are also glove boxes you can buy with a standard size radio cutout in them, which would do the same thing in making the wiring more accessible. That said it your (daughter's) car, do what you must.
You must have only ever seen 74 supers, which is fair because I myself haven't seen more that one or two Standards from that time (74, 75, 76, 77). You have a standard and all of them are flat dash like what you've got. Aside from being without a radio hole it all looks correct.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

Hi,
I got in a Retrosound Radio with MP3 with the big air box (including the fan). Original set up saved, clean look and music.
Good luck!
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Bug airbox removal for room for stereo? Reply with quote

inside

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: