Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonglasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

So campervan has only run about 250 miles on it in the last 2 summers. Just been too busy to get out and use it. I am thinking of selling and was looking to see if anyone could offer any insight. Engine was rebuilt a few years ago, and really only leaks a bit of oil. Converted coolant expansion tank to an 86 with some minor hose altering. The thing runs great, only issue it ever gave me was 5 years ago when the coolant reservoir blew in my driveway.

Body is pretty good, with a bit of small rust spots here and there in the normal spots, but nothing major. Propane tank is in my garage as it was unsafe to use, but have run it with some creative hoses, regulators, etc with new tanks. Fridge works as good as expected. I did the tear out and let sit upside down 2 years ago and it does the job when on propane or electric.

Tent canvas has one small tear in the side, and the front screen is torn a bit.

Any ideas on what these are even currently worth? I paid what I was comfortable with when I purchased it, but I am having issues finding any real info on how to value this thing.

All that said, should I even sell it? I would rather know that it is being used than be greedy and keep it, but then again it is a special vehicle.

Thanks for your considerations.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

SUMMARY: '82 Westy, 1.6 non-turbo diesel, 4-speed extremely short transmission, no propane tank, rigged propane connection, small amount of rust, medium condition pop-top tent.

$3,000-8,000.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

On the West coast

$30,000-80,000
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

The days of the cheap Westy (even aircooled) are over...

I actually really like the Diesels as they are the easiest engine upgradeable vans (i've got an 82 GL with a 1990 1.6td and aircooled transmission)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
On the West coast

$30,000-80,000

Don't go believing these made up numbers..... ^^^^

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Abscate wrote:
On the West coast

$30,000-80,000

Don't go believing these made up numbers..... ^^^^

That was carefully calculated and vetted by a leading economist....
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

The Samba classifieds will give you an idea of top asking prices. I recommend to start watching ebay motors. Specifically vanagons with no reserve. Add them to your watch list and you will see what they are actually selling for. Good luck with the sale.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

On ebay you can use the advanced search function to search only closed auctions. That way you can see what vans sold and what the actual selling price was.

When finding comps, bear in mind that it needs to be the same model ('82 westy with 1.6 non-turbo engine) and in similar condition (somewhat rusty, torn pop top, etc...).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

Consider eBay a distressed sale under moderate time pressure. You can do 10-20% better if you fish in calmer waters.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

I think ebay is usually fairly close to actual value. The shorter duration of the auction is offset by the fact that you have a wider audience than a local sale. You can probably do a little better than a 7-day auction, but would have to wait a long time to get more than what a 30-day auction will sell for.
jonglasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. Basically was doing the ebay looking thing, but cant seem to find anything close to what I have. I have come up with a price that I like and I think is fair. We will see what happens should I decide to make a go of it.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

Hard to say without seeing interior pics, etc...

As it sits, it sounds like it would fetch $7-10k on the West Coast. If you tidy everything up, put in a laminate floor, new tent, and present it well - I would bet you can get $12-14k for it.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of selling-stock 82 diesel westfalia Reply with quote

jonglasel wrote:
Thanks for all the input. Basically was doing the ebay looking thing, but cant seem to find anything close to what I have. I have come up with a price that I like and I think is fair. We will see what happens should I decide to make a go of it.

Here is the same year, color, condition for sale in Minneapolis
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5645771270.html
$8900.00
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: