Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Beetle Heater
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

So I just wanted to show people that a working stock heater can seriously warm up the cabin quite well when all is in working order.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

The early beetles weren't so good. I used to look forward to climbing a hill because it was the only way I could get the Ice to melt off the inside of the windshield. But that was in Colorado.
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
The early beetles weren't so good. I used to look forward to climbing a hill because it was the only way I could get the Ice to melt off the inside of the windshield. But that was in Colorado.

I'm not sure how well it would stand up to an icy / snowy winter, but here in South Africa where the coldest it gets is about -1 C, they really do heat up the cabin quite well.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

There is a big difference in beetles too. The later ones 1971 and later were much better at heating. Those cars were so nice and tight all the door seals and window seals were good and with the bigger engine they were fine. I remember driving back from Denver one night in a 1973 bug there was a big snow storm there had to be at least 6 inches of snow stuck all around the windshield wipers but it was melting. But try that in an old 1960 bug and you would be stopping along side the interstate to get out and do some scraping. The snow would be melting and steam would be coming in through the heaters and fogging up the windshield on the inside. Had to carry a bath towel and keep a window open.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

In my 66,

In Indiana winters (some so harsh, reminiscent of the "what the guy drives to work who drives a snowplow" tv spots) I used to adjust idle speed faster.

I miss that 66, but I really miss the 74 more.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
The snow would be melting and steam would be coming in through the heaters and fogging up the windshield on the inside. Had to carry a bath towel and keep a window open.

If one is getting steam out of the heater vents, then one has water getting by the windshield seal and/or chrome trim. Water drips down into "A" pillar and floods up in there to soak thru the paper vent tube and into the heater channels. Then the heater channels rust from the inside out, which increases water and less heat getting up front.

Have had early 1960s type 1s that put out plenty of heat and no fogging due to using a sealant between rubber and body just like VW did at the factory.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

It's not so much the heat that's the problem, it's the air flow. Adding a blower to the system will improve the heating system a ton. The later beetles heat better not because they're better sealed from outside air, but actually for the completely opposite reason. The flow-through ventilation system means the car is less well sealed which allows the heater to push more warm air through the interior. "Old" air being pulled out through the vents means "new" air can come in from the heater faster.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

As addressed in the 62 Owner's Manual, see next to last paragraph.

There was also an after market valve/vent that passed air thru the engine fire wall.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

The heater in my '66 works extremely well. After a few miles I have to actually turn it down a bit or it gets too hot.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
There was also an after market valve/vent that passed air thru the engine fire wall.

I'm curious to see how that looks. Crack your vent windows, boom air flow.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Having cut my teeth as a new driver back in the late-70's with my first Beetle being a slightly used '74, followed by a few others, and more recently a nice '68 Beetle, I can vouch for how hot the cabin can get.

One Christmas we drove across the Canadian prairies from Calgary to Winnipeg (also known as "Winterpeg"). The temperatures were in the minus-35 C. range on this trip and the Beetle had a broken heater cable to one of the boxes, so we really only had half the stock heat output. I didn't realize this until the trip had started, but in the end it didn't really matter. Just one heater box was enough to create excellent cabin heat, such that once we were on the road for a while, we had to crack a window, as we were getting too toasty!

On another trip, we had a box of music cassettes in a carrying case, that was placed on the passenger side front floor, as we were packed with luggage, etc. When we arrived at the US border, the customs official asked us to remove some items...one being the mysterious box of cassettes. He must have been looking for drugs or other contraband. Anyway, upon opening the box, some of the cassette cases had melted from the hot air dispensed from the foot outlet.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

I had a 73 beetle with a 1200 engine back in 1989 when we had a pretty cold Christmas in north Florida. It was 15 degrees on I10 north of Panama City and I never felt so cold --- the 1200 just was nowhere near effective.

I swapped the 1200 for a 1600 and from then on the heater worked fine. My current 73 Beetle (1600) heater works fine. However, on that 1989 frosty Florida trip even a blanket over my legs didn't help much. It does get cold in Florida!
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

pernest wrote:
I had a 73 beetle with a 1200 engine back in 1989 when we had a pretty cold Christmas in north Florida. It was 15 degrees on I10 north of Panama City and I never felt so cold --- the 1200 just was nowhere near effective.

I swapped the 1200 for a 1600 and from then on the heater worked fine. My current 73 Beetle (1600) heater works fine. However, on that 1989 frosty Florida trip even a blanket over my legs didn't help much. It does get cold in Florida!

The "stale air" heaters on the early 1200 engines were not as effective as the later fresh air heat exchangers, I'm guessing that was what your engine was using? I'd think any of the fresh air heater boxes would work as well as any other independent of engine size.
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Could also be the different fan shroud and/or maybe those scoops were missing on the inside to catch air and push it through the exchangers?
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Just want to note that the 1200 was the quietest and smoothest VW engine of the two. Top speed of the 1200 with the 73 transmission was 75 __the 1600 near 90. If I were to acquire a 65 or earlier Beetle, I would certainly leave it stock with the 1200.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Have only seen advertisement images of the vent. Kind of regular rectangle tissue box shaped, but not as tall. What would be the bottom of the tissue box near one end was a hole and on the top side away from the end with the first hole was the second hole with a slider door to close it off. Some type of fiber or steel (maybe stainless) wool inside to cut down on engine noise coming thru. Been looking for one for a couple of decades now....

When VW went from 50 to 60 mm HE outlet size the inner tubes of the HE were very much improved. Going from a round pipe inside to one that had corrugations inside for more surface area to extract the heat and better cooling in warm weather.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

I have had a few busses that had louvered windows with a lot of air leaking everywhere, Sliding door, Front doors too. Heat can be working pretty darn good in them and just as you start to feel a little bit of warmth, turn a corner and the air inside the vehicle shifts and it's cold again.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

If you need more heat this winter you just might check to see what kind of heater boxes are on your 40-50 year old VW. I just went from my old aftermarket Dansk heater boxes to used O.E. German heater boxes.

What a difference !!

Next project is replacing the rotted paper tubes from the heater channels to the defroster.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Finally found the advertisement for that.

hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Heater Reply with quote

Chris913653 wrote:
So I just wanted to show people that a working stock heater can seriously warm up the cabin quite well when all is in working order.

I get a steady 145*F on the highway. Sweltering.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: