Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

16" Wheels/tyres
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: 16" Wheels/tyres Reply with quote

Hi,
trying to find out if its possible to keep 16" wheels & lower front on air & the rear with adjustable spring plates? If so what tyres would be used? Anyone done this? Any pictures
thanks
Dave
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels/tyres Reply with quote

Anyone tried or done this? Is it possible or use 15" wheels

thanks
Dave
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels/tyres Reply with quote

It is going to come down to tire height. Stock 16s where pretty narrow so I doubt that will be an issue. There may be other vintage type 16 inch tires that are shorter than stock if you need to shave height.

Rather than worrying about them being on a 16 inch rim I recommend just thinking about width and height, and comparing that to common tires commonly used on lowered Bugs. Offset could be an issue too, but if using stock rims the only issue I could see was the possible need for spacers on the rear.
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" Wheels/tyres Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was static slightly lowered with stock 16s. I think it equated to about 2 1/2 inches.

A lot has to do with what you are going for. If you don't mind it rubbing and tearing the ass out of your fenders and wheel wells you could go lower. I wasn't into that.

Biggest problem is that stock rims are 3' wide and barn door are 3.5" wide. The only tire I could find to fit them, years ago, are the bias ply stock style tires, unless you are able to find some temp tires from an old spare tire and find someone willing to put them on your rim, or maybe motorcycle tires. I was not interested in going those routes.

Now you can buy some aftermarket 16" smoothies that are 5.5. You can also pay someone to modify some originals or these aftermarket wheels to different widths as well. This would probably open up a new opportunity in radial tires for you, but you will have to do some research yourself and of couse pay to play.

Hope that helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: