Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Usually if it stalls when you put it in reverse, it's because there's a short in the circuit after the switch. When you engage reverse, the switch closes and the short to ground basically shuts the coil off and the engine stalls.

Might want to at least inspect the reverse light circuit wiring physically in case there's a break in the insulation that's causing an intermittent short. Would hate to get it back to the owner and first time she puts it in reverse, it stalls out.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
My treasurer debut is off to a rocky start. I managed to freeze the paypal account so I have sent new coordinates to those who have already tried to contribute.
please check your PM box VWsunny72,OB Bus, and OLD VW NUT
Thanks to all for contributing - summary coming later this evening.
We will keep this drive open at least through end of July.

Funds sent again. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Awesome to see all the help here. I'll donate too, she needs some tires.
Got to hand it to her at 82 and still wanting to drive the bus. I'll donate to that! Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Paypal address for the Good Sambaritans - UT helping hand Reply with quote

I was holding off putting the paypal address up but lets make it easier ...

To donate, please

1. Throw a quick post in to donate (need not mention amount, just help me book-keep)

2. Paypal donation is to email:

abscate (at) nycap dot rr dot com

3. PM for snail mail, pigeon, or stage coach donation procedure.

thanks all - summary coming soon.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: The Good Sambaritans Fund UTAH Project Reply with quote

Latest update on fund drive - Still accepting donations to the tire fund!

We have $510 plus pending checks, so Colin's visit is a go.

Special mention to High Contributor VWSunny72, who was matched by Anonymous -$1

Contributors as of July 27 2359EDT

Quote:
Kudos to Brandt for stepping up and to OBBUS for suggesting the reach out.

Current updated list of extraordinary gentlemen/women/choose not to identify:

OBBUS
Abscate
Tom P
sjbartnik
VWSunny72
OldVWNut
jtauxe
Randy Maine
71 White Westy
SlowLane
phantasia
WilliamM
Anonymous

thanks everyone

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Good Sambaritans Fund UTAH Project Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If the high contributor is -$1, we've got a problem. Razz
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

alright...

I am going to come out and say this and more than likely get a bunch of shit for it, but when you live on a farm you get use to lots of shit....

is colin going to donate a day to help this lady, or is he getting paid? the way I see it the $$$ should go to parts, perhaps a bag of groceries for the lady but anyone taking money for helping is disreputable. I can see the fundraiser for parts, but come on....

and before anyone gets all "skills, YOU do shit for profit" you're right, I do, but 95% of the time the labor is discounted to a rate that makes me throw up, but I do look out for people, and have donated loads of time to peoples projects that I don't get compensated for.

so, lets say a "day" of his time (8 hrs) is 500....that's 62.50/hr for a guy to show up in your driveway, use your supplies/electricity etc and drive away at the end of it all. my shop rate isn't much more than that and is fully equipped and insured....yet people bitch about that rate....

I am not blaming colin for making a living, we all have to and people love to have him do his thing....that's great....but that 500 (or whatever) is basically a set of tires this lady desperately needs.

so I guess the "hey, now we can afford colin" comment is what sparked this reply....I don't know. flame away, I'm ready....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

I think everyone who donated is aware that the purpose was to crowd fund a Colin Visit as stated on page 1.

Quote:
If only Colin was near. I'd be happy to help crowd fund a stop to help out this lady's problems.

If anyone was not aware of this and wants their funds returned, PM me please.

If anyone is willing to drive out to UT and give a day labour to go over the UT bus - we will be happy to entertain this option. PM me for that too please.[/quote]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Quote:

My bad. Anonymous matched the high contributor, less $1 to maintain the Good Sambaritan Gold Medal in VWSunny72 sole possession.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

I have similar concerns. I'm not trying to start a heated argument - just stating my point of view - not trying to step on toes etc so keep that in mind as you read the rest of my response/reasoning here please!

$500 for ONE day? Does that include the parts needed to get this bus humming down the road? Or no parts? Lay it out and let us know. I'm not asking for a refund - it would be nice to know how these funds will be used.

And FWIW IMO a $500 per day traveling ACVW mechanic with near zero overhead (traveling is his choice after all!) is a bit steep regardless of the skill level of said mechanic. I'm a pretty decent ACVW mechanic myself and I'd be embarrassed to ask anywhere near that much if I still had a repair shop. If I were anywhere near southern Utah I would volunteer some of my time.

This thread began with an 82yo lady in need of some charity. Try to keep it that way - please! I'm beginning to get the feeling that some of Colin's friends are trying to help him make his living/traveling expenses.

I don't know Colin and never heard of him until this thread. I'm not dissing him - just trying to make the few bucks I and others threw into the pot go as far as possible.

Seems like Brandt is making good headway - how about giving him something for his effort?

This lady needs tires more than she needs a $500 mechanic IMO. Not trying to start a shitstorm - just trying to bring some 'real' charity to this effort.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
alright...

I am going to come out and say this and more than likely get a bunch of shit for it, but when you live on a farm you get use to lots of shit....

is colin going to donate a day to help this lady, or is he getting paid? the way I see it the $$$ should go to parts, perhaps a bag of groceries for the lady but anyone taking money for helping is disreputable. I can see the fundraiser for parts, but come on....

and before anyone gets all "skills, YOU do shit for profit" you're right, I do, but 95% of the time the labor is discounted to a rate that makes me throw up, but I do look out for people, and have donated loads of time to peoples projects that I don't get compensated for.

so, lets say a "day" of his time (8 hrs) is 500....that's 62.50/hr for a guy to show up in your driveway, use your supplies/electricity etc and drive away at the end of it all. my shop rate isn't much more than that and is fully equipped and insured....yet people bitch about that rate....

I am not blaming colin for making a living, we all have to and people love to have him do his thing....that's great....but that 500 (or whatever) is basically a set of tires this lady desperately needs.

so I guess the "hey, now we can afford colin" comment is what sparked this reply....I don't know. flame away, I'm ready....

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I think everyone who donated is aware that the purpose was to crowd fund a Colin Visit as stated on page 1.

Quote:
If only Colin was near. I'd be happy to help crowd fund a stop to help out this lady's problems.

If anyone was not aware of this and wants their funds returned, PM me please..

and I think that is fine, what I am saying is the money should go back into the till to get her going, that's all. I think it's a good thing that is going on here, but if that $$ is spent to hire him, that leaves 2.00 in the can for parts, so why pay a guy that can't do anything without parts? that is what I am getting at.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:

I don't know Colin and never heard of him until this thread.

Then perhaps you should familiarize yourself with Colin and his peculiar mission before passing judgement. Please spend some time perusing the IAC forums to get a sense of what he's all about.

In a nutshell, Colin is more of a travelling teacher than a travelling mechanic. He bills himself as a consultant, helping owners of air-cooled VWs learn how to fix and maintain their now antique machines on their own, without needing to resort to professional mechanics who know nothing about these cars.

Yes, Colin has a large circle of friends who support his annual barnstorm of the country with itinerant appointments. Each of them feel that it is worth $500 per day. He has those friends because they consider the money spent to be good value. The addition of this single appointment to his already established itinerary isn't going to make or break his year, so it's not a case of his friends trying to pad out his workload.

OLD VW NUT wrote:

Seems like Brandt is making good headway - how about giving him something for his effort?

If Colin does decide to take on this job, and Brandt is able to be there with him on the day, then Brandt will undoubtedly benefit from the hands-on tutelage that Colin can offer, if he's willing to learn. From his posts so far, it seems that he definitely is.
In effect, on top of the core mechanical work on the lady's bus, we would be paying for an itinerant appointment for Brandt, if he's able to take advantage of it.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

is colin going to donate a day to help this lady, or is he getting paid?

That, obviously, is up to Colin.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett

Last edited by SlowLane on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

I guess if you haven't hired or met Colin you might not understand the value he offers. My donation should go to whatever it takes to help the lady out. If she needs a mechanic, then send the money to a mechanic. If she needs parts, buy parts. I think she needs both. She is way the heck out there and how else are you going to get her help if she doesn't have a mechanic out there to help her? Parts will not go on by themselves. Colin is the best traveling mechanic there is and yes he does have overhead. He lays it all out nicely on his website, itinerant-air-cooled.com. There is way more value in having him in your driveway vs dropping your bus off at a shop, unless you also teach your clients how to fix things in your shop. No offense to shops of course but there isn't one near this lady. I can say with certainty that she WILL get her moneys worth if Colin shows up at her house.
I'm sure Brandt will spend plenty of time there and is doing a great job of organizing the best help possible for her. I personally don't see the need for Colin to donate his time just because we are donating money (it's not like he lives next door). I think all are just trying to get her the best help. I mean no offense to Skills of course but it's like asking him to drive out there on his own dime and time to help her, I don't see thast happening but Colin can be hired for this type of thing and I think that's what the suggestions are for.
The $500/day for Colin is the best and cheapest money I can spend on my bus in my opinion. Way better than just dropping it off at a shop and hoping they care about your bus as much as you do and not learning a thing in the meantime.
Just a difference of opinion but I did donate and have no problem with using it to hire Colin because I know first hand how valuable it is. (even if the 82 year old lady doesn't learn much, she will learn a little).
Hope we get her back on the road. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

It is time for me to say what is on my mind too. Who will end up with this bus when it is done? 82 year olds typically are at the end of their driving career. Is the community funding this so she can will it to someone who is helping her? Is the community funding it so someone can charge her $50 an hour, or sell some loose parts lying around their garage? Not accusing anyone of less than noble intentions, but what proof and safeguards are there that the funds won't be misused or co-mingled? Further, the people helping her need to be aware that in situations like this people can be jailed if someone complains they mailed (called mail fraud) or wired (called bank fraud) money to someone for a charity that turned out to have some comingling or mis-use in it. Once money is transferred by mail if there are problems the US Postmaster is obligated to investigate for mail fraud. From the perspective of the Postmaster General I suspect if the money gets misused or complaints are made there will be very little difference between "send a pretty woman $500 so she can buy plane tickets to get away from an abusive relationship, and help an 82 year old farmer get her VW bus running. My only suggestion is put the money in a trust account specifically designed to help her, and keep detailed records of every penny in case anyone complains they feel they were cheated.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Has a visit with Colin been scheduled or only suggested? To teach the lady how to maintain the bus herself might be a waste of time and money. To spend for tires and parts would be a more sensible use of the money. But who would install the parts? The bus is running now and perhaps tires are all that will be needed. The brakes should be inspected and possibly the electrical system too. The contributions should be used to pay a mechanic, not a teacher.

As SlowLane has suggested: Perhaps hiring Colin to visit the lady and her bus with Brandt there with his bus and both buses being worked on and both owners being taught, would be a suitable reward for Brandt for his time and efforts.

Karma is, as Karma does.

Aloha
tp
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

all good points. I don't actually think there is much value in teaching her much either but I just don't know of anyone else that will pull in to her driveway to help her.
I'm also not going after anyone for mis-use of funds. I wouldn't donate if I worried about that sort of thing. I like good old fashioned trust and I trust those that I send money to and will not check up on how it's spent. I just hope we get her back on the road soon. Time is ticking for the lady.....
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

The only people who are going to be jailed for mail or wire fraud are those that solicit money under false pretenses or misrepresentations. Those who sent money based on those representations are victims, not fraudsters.

I do work in this field and am perfectly happy to make someone's life miserable if they were to scam us.

I don't think anyone's talking about writing this lady a check. Certainly my understanding is that the money is to be used to make minor repairs to the vehicle in order to make sure it runs well and is safe to drive so this elderly woman can maintain some mobility.

I think everyone who has donated will expect a full accounting of how the funds were used with supporting documents available for inspection if desired.

As for what happens to the bus after this lady's driving career is over, I think that's outside the scope of this effort and the answer should be "whatever she wants to happen to it."

I'm not interested personally in micromanaging how the money I donated is spent. Personally, I intended it as a gift to be used by Brandt, in consultation with the samba experts, as deemed necessary to get the bus safe to operate so that Brandt can complete this good deed he's taken on.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
OLD VW NUT wrote:

I don't know Colin and never heard of him until this thread.

Then perhaps you should familiarize yourself with Colin and his peculiar mission before passing judgement.

Like I said in my post you quoted - I don't know Colin and did not wish to start a shitstorm! Please read ALL of my post before assuming you know exactly WHAT my intentions were. My intention is to help an 82yo lady out. Not further the traveling's of Colin.

With that I'm done with this thread. If my donation goes to a 'preacher' so be it. Do what you want with my meager donation. I asked for UNDERSTANDING when I posted - apparently you didn't read all of my post. I was not passing judgment on anyone.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Old vw nut, I don't think anyone meant any harm in sticking up for Colin. I understand if you've never heard of him but he is a great guy and his website is fantastic. I think the reference to check him out was in good faith. Your questioning him was also in good faith. You didn't start a shit storm at all. I think we are all just trying to help the lady out and Colin has been brought up in many, many situations like this. He is the only traveling mechanic (consultant) I know.
I am also sure Brandt will make sure the donations are used wisely.
Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
BerneseMtnDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

It's really gratifying to see all the outpouring of help here and all the kind hearts but since the first post I can't help but think there are bigger problems here. An 82 year old lady in questionable health living alone on 5 acres is generally not a good thing. Without family to help convince her of a more realistic living situation she's left to continue as before. Many older folks resist the idea that they've lost the ability to live as they want to. Our own vision of ourselves and our actual abilities can be very different. She may never feel the need to sell her farm and move closer to health care providers, public transportation and neighbors that can keep a closer eye on her when it might be the best thing for her. I know it's a neat thing to imagine a cool old lady tooling around in an old bus but with a recent broken back she may struggle without power steering and with a manual shift transmission. It's events like this breakdown and inability to manage her farm as before that can sometimes convince someone that they're no longer capable of living the way they always have. There's a part of me that thinks fixing up her bus and helping her to continue a lifestyle she may not be capable of living is wrong. Those tires alone lead me to believe that she's probably past the point of properly looking after a vehicle, especially a 40+ year old bus. Not to criticize what's obviously a lot of great intention here. Just think it may not be addressing her more important issues.

Steve
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: