Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

back blinkers but no fronts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

hey all! I have a 1971 super beetle and the back blinkers work but the fromt blinkers do not work. I have checked fuses and both wires for the blinkers in the trunk all the lights work, headlights, park lights front and rear. I even get a flashing green arrow in the speedometer when right and left blinkers are on. please someone help! Confused Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

What happens if you turn on the emergency flasher, do you get any lights blinking (or coming on at all) in the front?

When you use the turn signal, does the front light not come on at all, or does it come on steady while the rear light blinks? Really odd that the rear alone would blink, since most turn signal flashers will not flash without the load of both bulbs.

Only possibilities I can think of are that either something is wired wrong, you have bad grounds on the front lights, someone has put the wrong bulbs in the front - the combination turn signal / parking light bulb takes a dual filament bulb, or simply that both front bulbs have bad filaments in the turn signal portion.
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts?? Reply with quote

the front blinkers do not come on at all, but both back blinkers flash right and left. the drivers side rear blinker flashes fast but does flash. the passenger side rear blinker flashes at the normal speed. the funny part is that when I pull the emergency flasher, the front two bulbs flash and neither of the rear tail lights flash or come on at all. I have checked the front bulbs and they are good. they will flash when the emergency flasher is pulled out and the parking lights come on when the light switch is on. I also cleaned both front grounds to shiny metal and the wire ends also. I am at a lose on what to check next. any help would be appreciated!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

Bentley says:

"The turn signal switch and relay are often mistakenly blamed for troubles caused by dirty, corroded, or loose fitting, turn signal bulb contacts. Before trying to troubleshoot the turn signal switch or the turn signal/emergency flasher relay, be sure that all bulb contacts are clean and tight."

So, if the bulb contacts are not loose, corroded, or dirty, and the problem is still there, I would start to suspect it is the relay. The turn signal and emergency flashers share the same relay.

If the relay has been sitting there for a gazillion years there's a chance there's minor corrosion on the three prongs it pushes onto. I'd pull it off and push it back on again a few times to re-establish good electrical contact. If that doesn't improve anything, you might need a new relay:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/111953227D.html?Categ...elays-1971
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

[quote="zoobyshoe"]Bentley says:

"The turn signal switch and relay are often mistakenly blamed for troubles caused by dirty, corroded, or loose fitting, turn signal bulb contacts. Before trying to troubleshoot the turn signal switch or the turn signal/emergency flasher relay, be sure that all bulb contacts are clean and tight."

So, if the bulb contacts are not loose, corroded, or dirty, and the problem is still there, I would start to suspect it is the relay. The turn signal and emergency flashers share the same relay.

Had the same issue. Chasing around a problem that I thought was the switch or wiring, turned out to be "loose fitting turn signal contacts." Gave the inserts/contacts a cleaning and replaced the bulbs...no issues since.

Good luck!

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts?? Reply with quote

ragtop man wrote:
the front blinkers do not come on at all, but both back blinkers flash right and left. the drivers side rear blinker flashes fast but does flash. the passenger side rear blinker flashes at the normal speed. the funny part is that when I pull the emergency flasher, the front two bulbs flash and neither of the rear tail lights flash or come on at all. I have checked the front bulbs and they are good. they will flash when the emergency flasher is pulled out and the parking lights come on when the light switch is on. I also cleaned both front grounds to shiny metal and the wire ends also. I am at a lose on what to check next. any help would be appreciated!!

There are a couple of 4-way connectors in the trunk, one for the left signal lights and the other for the right signal lights. Each 4-way connector should have 4 wires - one from the turn signal switch, one from the emergency flasher switch, one from the front turn signal light, and one from the rear turn signal light.

Connectors look something like this, but this photo has one of the wires missing from each connector:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All four wires should be connected together inside that connector, so the conditions you describe should be impossible, unless the connector is broken internally, or someone has replace it thinking it was two separate connectors side-by-side instead of a common connection for all four wires.
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

I have those wire connectors in my trunk. all my wires are real dirty so it is hard to tell exact colors on them. I found another known good relay today and still no front turn signals. I have tested these connections when the blinkres are on with the key on and I get nothing no power or blinking test light. this is a puzzler to me. If I knew where the power comes from for the front turn signals I could see If that is it. still working on it and need some help, thanks for any and all suggestions. Confused Confused
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

oh yeah, please tell me if I am thinking correctly. if the front bulbs flash when the emergency flasher is on, the bulbs are good and they are getting a good connection at the socket, correct?? so I can rule that out for the blinkers not working.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

Incidentally, is this a new problem on a car whose blinkers used to work fine, or is this car completely new to you, and you just discovered the blinkers don't work?

If it's the second case, then there's no telling what weird wiring a PO did. If it's the first case, then all the wire routing ought to be fine.
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

this problem is new to me. I bought the car and they did not work. I have begun trying to sort the wiring gremlins out and get them fixed. I am going to recheck the connectors and make sure they are the correct colors. seems funny to me that they ( the front turn signal bulbs) work when the emergency flasher is on but not when they blinker switch is on.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

ragtop man wrote:
oh yeah, please tell me if I am thinking correctly. if the front bulbs flash when the emergency flasher is on, the bulbs are good and they are getting a good connection at the socket, correct?? so I can rule that out for the blinkers not working.

I took the cover off one of mine and looked to see which filaments are involved. In both cases, blinkers and emergency flasher, it is the same filament. So, yes, if the emergency flasher works it can't be the contact.

Something I noticed is that they have it rigged so the bulb can only be put in one way. You can't turn it 180° and put it in. If you could, the wrong filament would be connected to the flasher.

So, something to check, I guess, is whether someone hacked the socket or the bulbs to allow them to go in either way.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

Take a close look at the wiring diagram for your car from the technical section above. I agree with David_72.std.. that one place to check are those 4-ways. Make sure they are clean and complete. The turn signal system is fairly simple- so it can't take much gunk to prevent good conductivity.

I am also assuming since power that reaches the turn signals through the emergency flasher is a higher amperage from the battery- that it some how pushes through whatever issues you have with the same bulbs from the turn signal switch. If your front signal filaments are a higher wattage combined than the rears, it makes sense that all would light up under high amperage, but only the rears when there is less amperage available. Again, hunches based on very basic DC principles.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

Flasher relay is common to the turn signal and the emergency flasher, that is not your problem.

One question about the rear lights - do they operate properly in relation to the turn signal switch? In other works, does the right side light flash for a right turn, and the left side light flash for a left turn?

Here is the wiring diagram for a 71 Super Beetle, E3 is the emergency flasher switch, J2 is the flasher relay. Right turn signal uses green/black wires, left uses white/black.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_super_71.jpg

Something is definitely wired incorrectly. The front and rear light on each side are directly connected to each other in the 4-way connector - there is NO WAY for them to operate independently of each other the way you describe if they are connected properly.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts?? Reply with quote

ragtop man wrote:
the front blinkers do not come on at all, but both back blinkers flash right and left. the drivers side rear blinker flashes fast but does flash. the passenger side rear blinker flashes at the normal speed. the funny part is that when I pull the emergency flasher, the front two bulbs flash and neither of the rear tail lights flash or come on at all.

David_nc_72std wrote:
There are a couple of 4-way connectors in the trunk, one for the left signal lights and the other for the right signal lights. Each 4-way connector should have 4 wires - one from the turn signal switch, one from the emergency flasher switch, one from the front turn signal light, and one from the rear turn signal light.

Connectors look something like this, but this photo has one of the wires missing from each connector:

All four wires should be connected together inside that connector, so the conditions you describe should be impossible, unless the connector is broken internally, or someone has replace it thinking it was two separate connectors side-by-side instead of a common connection for all four wires.

OK, it's suddenly obvious to me Dave is right. The PO plugged these connectors all wrong and maybe even broke them in two internally. Only your rear blinkers work and only your front flashers work. So, the PO figured out a way to route only the blinker signal to the rear lights, and to route only the flasher signal to the front lights.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

One thing you need to check, take a light and shine it through the 4-way connector and make sure it actually has the bridge piece in the middle that connects all 4 connections together. Someone may have replace it with a connector that has separate side-by-side connectors.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

This diagram from Speedy Jim's site should help with an understanding of how the turn signals and the E-Flasher circuits are wired together. The only thing missing in the diagram is the turn indicator lamp in the speedo.

You can find a full write up on the turn signal systems on Speedy Jim's site:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/signals.htm

There are two kinds of 4-way junctions (T4 connectors) used in VWs. Some only allow current to pass straight thru to the connector directly across. The 4-way junctions used for the turn signal lamps are a common junction where all four wires are bridged together.

A simple test is to run a jumper wire from a fused 12+ source. Touch this wire to any one of the connections on the junction. Do not take out any of the four wires, just slide the jumper wire in next to one of them. Powering any part of the junction should power all four wires. Only two are outputs. These go to the front and rear turn signal lamps on that side (black/white = left; black/green = right). Try moving the powered wire to all the connectors in the junction and confirm there is continuity to all four wires.
While doing this test, note the brightness of all four corners. They should all be 21~25W bulbs and be brighter than the 5W parking lights.
Run the test both with and without the parking lights ON. This can sometimes help identify problems with grounding at the light assemblies. If the turn signals operate differently while the parking lights are ON then you have a ground problem.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

Okay just checked the 4 way connectors in the trunk. they appear to be factory but they are separated with out the middle bridge. they have one male end which is held in by the plastic connector and one female end which can be pulled out of the connector. manufacture date on this super beetle is 7/71. I also did the current test that Ashman suggested and when I put 12 volts to the wires going to the blinkers they do light up. where do I look upstream to find the problem. I too think there are wires hooked incorrectly, but I am not sure where to start looking. thank for all the suggestions so far! again any and all help is appreciated!!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

ragtop man wrote:
Okay just checked the 4 way connectors in the trunk. they appear to be factory but they are separated with out the middle bridge.

This tells me you have the wrong 4-way connectors for your turn signal wires. Here is the '71 SB wiring diagram.

You can see the straight thru type 4-way connector just below the brake switches (F). This type only bridges the opposing terminals together.
Below and to the left of the turn signal switch you see the two 4-way junctions used by the turn signals. The shape of the junctions in the wiring diagram are slightly different than the one used at the brake switches. I guess this illustrates that the junctions are different.
Check if the PO didn't accidentally swap the junctions.

ragtop man wrote:
I also did the current test that Ashman suggested and when I put 12 volts to the wires going to the blinkers they do light up.

Just to clarify, when you touch the 12v wire to one of the wires in the junction do either the from or rear lights turn ON? Or do BOTH the front and the rear on the same side turn ON (normal)? Are all the lights the same brightness?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

just did the test you suggested. when I put 12v to the grey wire in the connector I get all parking lights front and rear. that was the same for both right and left side grey wires. when I put 12v to the black/ white wire in the connector I get the bright side of the bulb lite up on the front bulb, but not the rear. this was the same for both sides. they just lite up the front and no rear . any suggestions on where to look at this point??
ragtop man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: back blinkers but no fronts Reply with quote

Okay I just think I figured the problem out. on the wiring diagram there is one
green / black wire coming from the turn signal switch going to a 4 way connector. there is also a black/white wire coming from the turn signal switch going into a 4 way connector. there is no 4 way connector for either of the wires coming from the turn signal switch. they are all running independent of each other. now do I need to put them in a 4 way connector like I think should? also do I use a connector with a bridge in the middle or one with out the bridge???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: