Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdmracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

I purchased this Vintage speedster , Owned by Danny Ganz the late LV entertainer. He had the engine built by the Bug house (according to the current owner spelling may be off) around 2003 or 2004 .

I have another vintage with the 1915 CC with twin solex & this car performs much better The PO said it had dual 2 bbl webers and I took him at that.

Got the car and it turns out it has Fuel injection with twin TB on each side , lumpy cam & headers. No documentation on build has about 1k on it, Any help would be appreciated to ID anything!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pdmracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

any info on Bug House or Bughause would also be appreciated
Thanks
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Question Is that kit on a early or 68 later chassis?

Original Speedster engine would be a 1100cc 356 as I recall w/o looking up the correct info.......no bigee.

I once had a 57 356A years ago.

Don't see any FI but just a Dual Carb setup......then again my eyes are not that good.

Last edited by HRVW on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

My guess would be CB Performance on the throttle bodies. HRVW musta missed the photos that show the fuel rail and injectors. Pull a valve cover and get some photos in there. The casting number on the cylinder heads will be good to know. What size the engine is now is anyone's guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdmracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
My guess would be CB Performance on the throttle bodies. HRVW musta missed the photos that show the fuel rail and injectors. Pull a valve cover and get some photos in there. The casting number on the cylinder heads will be good to know. What size the engine is now is anyone's guess.

PO said he thought it was a 2.0 What ever it is it wails early 911 fast

I get the VCs off when I service , thanks
P
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

What you see is what you have, do research on MSD box,(has 6000 rpm limiter module) do resesrch on EFI box... TB's are sort of immaterial (basically all they are butterflies) as you have to know what program is in ECU and what size injectors are..... As for engine internals, only origionsl build sheet will tell you what you have, or an engine tear down...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
pdmracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
What you see is what you have, do research on MSD box,(has 6000 rpm limiter module) do resesrch on EFI box... TB's are sort of immaterial (basically all they are butterflies) as you have to know what program is in ECU and what size injectors are..... As for engine internals, only origionsl build sheet will tell you what you have, or an engine tear down...

Dale

6Al typical CG with rev limiter, The Box has no writing or Id numbers left faded out.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Early CB efi set up, gen1 if you will. Uses a geo storm(vin5) ecu that has been remapped. Also has the adjustment box that uses tps to simulate a map circuit. Usually inside the adjust ment box is the filter to change the anolog ignition signal to digital so the ecu can interpret it. Size of the engine is any one's guess. When I worked at CB this was one of my projects

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
pdmracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Early CB efi set up, gen1 if you will. Uses a geo storm(vin5) ecu that has been remapped. Also has the adjustment box that uses tps to simulate a map circuit. Usually inside the adjust ment box is the filter to change the anolog ignition signal to digital so the ecu can interpret it. Size of the engine is any one's guess. When I worked at CB this was one of my projects

Awesome info thanks. Have you ever Heard of Bughause or Bug house out of Nevada. Danny Ganz Was a big time entertainer and had quite a car collection at the time prior to his death.

Last edited by pdmracing on Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

pdmracing wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Awesome info thanks. Have you ever Heard of Bughause or Buck house out of Nevada. Danny Ganz Was a big time entertainer and had quite a car collection at the time prior to his death.

Can't say I have.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

You could pull a spark plug, set the engine at bottom dead center for that cylinder, put a piece of stiff wire down the hole and turn over the engine to top dead center to get an idea of the stroke. Piston size is anybody's guess until you take a head off. Al
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

That looks very much like my engine, but I threw a turbo in the mix. FI is CB, ignition is MSD as is, it looks like, even the distributor is MSD. It should run very nice, and I would assume the 2007 is correct, but you can check it. Nice find!
pdmracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
That looks very much like my engine, but I threw a turbo in the mix. FI is CB, ignition is MSD as is, it looks like, even the distributor is MSD. It should run very nice, and I would assume the 2007 is correct, but you can check it. Nice find!

Thanks! Its a blast
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Usually a "Lumpy" cam on a aircooled VW means you have some adjustment to do, not usually "my cam is sooooo radical its lumpy".

Even with a really large cam that MSD and fuel injection should give you a silky smooth idle.

On a V6-V8 Our HP cams would have a nasty idle.

Nice setup!
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, anything on that FI system, you can get from CB. Air cleaner filters, linkage pieces, anything you might need, CB carries it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Quote:

I was in LV in 2004 on a business trip. Drove over to the Bug Shack shop just for a look-around. Still have their refrig magnet so I know the spelling is correct. Maybe the PO confused a house with a shack?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Yup, that is a gen 1 CB f.i. Never cared much for those, as there - were - .... rough. But maybe they actually got that one dialed in well. The nice thing is, that if it comes to that the ECU is easlily replacable with a new and more modern unit. - Good find.

Scott, when did you work at CB ? Have we met?

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdmracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:

I was in LV in 2004 on a business trip. Drove over to the Bug Shack shop just for a look-around. Still have their refrig magnet so I know the spelling is correct. Maybe the PO confused a house with a shack?

Thanks
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

I had a Gen 1 CB fuel injection kit on my car and couldn't get it to run properly. I ended up pulling the kit and installing Webers.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Yup, that is a gen 1 CB f.i. Never cared much for those, as there - were - .... rough. But maybe they actually got that one dialed in well. The nice thing is, that if it comes to that the ECU is easlily replacable with a new and more modern unit. - Good find.

Scott, when did you work at CB ? Have we met?

T

From about 89 thru 02ish, did alot with the "compitition" fuel injection. In those days there wern't many aftermarket ecu's on the market, most all the systems used a factory ecu at that point. The storm ecu we figured out how to program, it is a sealed unit, and it fit our kit well. It is out dated by todays standard but is very durable. I still have one on my sand car, it runs just as good as the gen 3 version on my thing.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: