Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Beetle Color
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Color?
Lotus White
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Black
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 29

aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Were do you go to vote?

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Figured it out.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Ok the poll is over. White wins by 1 vote (mine).
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Okay I know white won and it will look very sharp with the red interior, but I've been looking at zenith blue with a tweed/vinyl interior. It would have the blue carpet, mats, door panels, and the rubber bits outside like the running boards would also be blue. I don't know about it just seeing if anyone has done this. I think it would look nice. I'm not really sure about which color, not black so now it's between white or blue. I can't make another poll in this thread so just post what you think.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

FRAUD!!...jk Laughing

Do whatever makes you happy. I like blue.
I am painting my 59' capri blue in spite of it having from PO a brand new red interior!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Very Happy Yup, I bought the red before I decided what color because I assumed I'd like black. Well now I know I don't so I have it and I don't know if I can return it. I'm all for original but I prefer the black cars with small side windows. The big side windows still look fine, but the small ones look better in my opinion. I'm gonna call Wolfsbürg west and see if I can return the seat covers and if not I'll probably put them in the classifieds. Blue is a great color for bugs!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:

Last edited by 67ctbug on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I'm thinking this tweed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With this vinyl
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks mostly like the real pattern only it's not exact. I haven't found anyone reproducing the fabric so I think this is the closest.
The navy vinyl looks black but maybe it's not in person. What do you think.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Looks perfect! As I said, my interior is new, red and installed on repainted seat frames. I will probably use them as is. But I wish I could do some as you are thinking about yours. Tweed would be better in my humid/hot Houston Texas days... I think.
DO IT!!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I think I will return the red and go for the sewfine tweed. I love the blue and they made millions of these cars and I know this isn't my last one so I can always experiment with different cars. I think zenith blue with that interior will be perfect.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Well this is unfortunate... I believe my 30 day return policy for the seats is up... Well I guess white with red it is. I like it anyway both are nice so I don't really lose, once this car is finished I know I'll find another.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
all type 1s look better in standard black

I agree and black is rare color on the bugs, if you got one I'd try to keep that.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Well from all of the feedback in the thread I know white won, but I'll be painting it in its original factory combination... Black with a red interior. I think it'll be best, it stays original, looks nice, and I like it. Now, to get working on the floors so it's ready by its 50th birthday in April.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I was going to vote black, but as much as this has flip-flopped, I wouldn't commit to anything yet. You have gone back and forth so much whatever you do will be wrong later. I'd take a long breath before the expense of paint is added to the red interior.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I was going to vote black, but as much as this has flip-flopped, I wouldn't commit to anything yet. You have gone back and forth so much whatever you do will be wrong later. I'd take a long breath before the expense of paint is added to the red interior.

I know... I keep changing my mind. Blue is out of the question now since I can't return the red interior. I also think once I paint it I'll think it's wrong... I seriously hate major decisions. I was quoted by a friend with a paint shop that he'll paint it for $800-$1000.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of black because if your car ever gets damaged out in the real world it is easy to respray small areas. Black matches easy, white is one of the hardest colors to match. Other colors are inbetween (except metalics and pearls, which offer their own challenges.)

Plus, bugs do look cool in black with red interior. It is a classic look.

Last edited by EVfun on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

Plus, bugs do look cool in black with red interior. It is a classic look.

It's a very classic look, I like it and it's sharp. I can't decide what color now... I have to wait until it's ready to be painted.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I'm ready to focus on this dilemma, so here goes.

You've already got a red interior- which for a '67 is remarkably flexible.

I love black- and although my first choice, I'd let the painter tell you if the body is good enough for it.

I would personally never load a paint gun with white. It just seems so wrong to me to intentionally and fully replace a color with white. As a color change- it is a poor man's copout color. Probably the number one hue sprayed at Earl Scheib.

As proof, I have a '65 Pearl White Double Cab. Sure, I am committing the ultimate bus crime by changing its color- but it is now Velvet Green. The bus was re-sprayed during the swinging era a beautiful shade of root beer brown- so no regrets. I just could not bring myself to having it redone in the proper white. The bodywork is fantastic on an already amazingly straight truck.

Which brings us to VW blue. It is great on '67s and looks even better with the red interior as a stark contrast. I have a gulf blue "62 convertible that may end up with a custom biscuit-sewn red interior just for the contrast.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I would paint it white if it came white...but if you look at this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660583&highlight= There is white under the black. If I was painting it tommorow I think I would pick black. As for vw blue, I'm really a stock guy so I would probably do the white interior. When I was thinking about the zenith blue the other day I picked fabric that almost matched original so it would be stock. So at the moment I pick black. Give it a few days and I'll be back to white Very Happy(probably not). My car has a few dents that are small and one larger one on the roof. It will be filled, sanded, and primed so I think it'll be straight.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Which brings us to VW blue. It is great on '67s and looks even better with the red interior as a stark contrast. I have a gulf blue "62 convertible that may end up with a custom biscuit-sewn red interior just for the contrast.

^^^My same train of thought^^^ and that is why I am going back to original Capri blue body and not hating that I have a red interior for my 59.
If your friend quoted you that amount, do whatever color you want and you can change it if you decide you don't like it. Or do as I did... photoshop photoshop and photoshop until you know what you like.
Again, your car so do as you like. Cool
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I already know that I like either the black or white. They'll be stock height, wheel, and paint type(single stage). I'm going to have a red interior in both. I'm still not sure if it was originally black though. In that other thread you can see white under the black and then primer. I don't know why that is. Well it's down to black or white, my birth certificate said 4 to 5 months and I ordered a few weeks ago. We'll see when the certificate comes.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: