Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Beetle Color
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Color?
Lotus White
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Black
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 29

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Hi! I have my beetle and am deciding what color to paint it. I'm stuck between lotus white and black. It came from the factory black so I feel a little bad taking that away but I really like lotus white. It will have a red interior for both. As I said I'm leaning toward back so that's probably what I'll choose, but I'd like to hear your guys' opinions.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the car. Tell me if I should do black or white in the poll.
Thanks
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

all type 1s look better in standard black
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
all type 1s look better in standard black

I've seen a few older ones and some '67s in black and I agree they look good, but I do like the other vw colors but seeing how a black '67 is rarer I think that is what I'll choose.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

If it was born Black then that's the color that I'd go with. However, an Ivory White car looks fantastic with a red interior.
One thing about black vs white, is that White hides flaws and Black will show every little dent and ding also dirt and road grime.
Take your pick. It's your car, make it yours and be happy with it.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Black showing all flaws is not really a problem since the body of the car is being done and I'll be banging out all dents and if that doesn't get rid of them I'm using rage gold. I assume it was amazing when it left the factory because I read somewhere only perfect cars were painted black.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Black showing all flaws is not really a problem since the body of the car is being done and I'll be banging out all dents and if that doesn't get rid of them I'm using rage gold. I assume it was amazing when it left the factory because I read somewhere only perfect cars were painted black.

I never have heard of that being the case. All 67 VW sheet metal, to my knowledge were pressed from the same stamping dies until they became worn or had metal bits embedded in them. I know this happens in the thin wall pipe manufacturing process. Then the dies get changed out for resurfaced ones. Maybe someone can corroborate your statement.
But black is stunning for sure.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I don't know where I read that maybe I'm wrong( probably). Black is very nice on cars for sure.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

doing body work on any black car is harder . you have to make sure all the work under that paint is flawless . because it shows all the little imperfections and they are magnified by the black paint !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Oh my goodness black is one of the hardest colors not to show imperfections. The smallest lil blemish pops as compared to most all other colors. Hey its your ride I like Yukon Yellow myself.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Like I said, the imperfections aren't real too much of a problem because the body is being done. Road dust and things like that can be cleaned. I like the black but it's very dark and I like the lightness of the white. I said before I was leaning toward black but now I'm thinking white actually. In the end,it is just paint.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

IMO...either would look very nice with the red interior. If your goal is originality, then black would be the better choice. Does the car have the original motor? A color change done correctly would most likely cost more. A nice, clean, straight black paint job looks wonderful. It's a lot of work to keep it looking like that however. White on the other hand is more forgiving when it comes to imperfections in the panels, swirl marks, small dents and scratches, dust, etc. Sunny, hot summer driving would be more comfortable with white. White with black running boards and fender beading would provide contrast, while black with black rubber trim would present a more monochrome, formal look...especially if you go with white wall tires.

Curious...are you going to paint it with single stage or base coat clear coat?

And a suggestion...nothing looks worse with a fresh paint job than old, tired trim. If your budget allows, restore or replace all of the bright work and replace all of the body seals. You'll be glad you did!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I'll be painting in single stage paint. I do plan to change out the rubber bits and the bright work because my trim is all bent. Also, no it doesn't have the original engine. It's a '71 block with the '67 bits on it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
hotair13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

If you're doing everything right and plan to be meticulous about it, I would say black, but if it's a driver and you don't want to worry about every little thing, white would probably be the better option in my opinion.

This could also be an argument of good vs. evil.. pick your side!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

Not trying to be meticulous just make it nice. It will be a driver, not a trailer queen. White is probably going to be the color.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
It came from the factory black so I feel a little bad taking that away but I really like lotus white.

I base my recommendation on this. The rather strong implication I get from your statement is one of your concern that others may feel disapproval in regards to straying from originality with your car, but on a personal level you would be happier with the white. As such, in the long run you would always feel a bit of remorse about not following your true desire if you were to go with black, primarily for the sake of appeasing what you feel to be the popular decision... but your satisfaction level would be higher if you were to paint it the colour that you prefer, possibly to the extent that you would be more inclined to follow through with various projects and more greatly enjoy using the car.

Of course I could just be reading a bit too much into it...
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I voted for black. I wouldn't do single stage though, if you get any runs and you go to sand them out..... You could end up re-spraying entire panels. There's no margin for error and the black will show light spots if you have to sand deep enough. Unless you have to have single stage for the "look" go 2 stage. I love the appearance of original single stage cars, but black is my least favorite of them. It's not flattering to me. White, gulf blue, java green, coral red etc. are the types of colors that look good in single stage.

When I sprayed my truck in the original light grey, it took 4 gallons of single stage to do 4 coats. One extra coat for sanding imperfections to be safe. Even then, 3 spots started to burn through but they aren't very noticeable. L345 looks killer in the waxy crayon finish of single stage. I've seen it done 2 stage and it's too blingy for my taste...

A lot of people just assume single stage is cheaper. Not always the case, especially if you have to respray a panel. I could've done my truck with 2 gallons of color and 2 if clear and the cost is close. BUT 2 stage is easier to shoot! You get a chance halway through to fix problems in the color before clear, saving you money.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I want to do it in its original single stage type paint, even if it is harder to paint. I like the look of it a lot and it's the way it came from factory.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I want to do it in its original single stage type paint, even if it is harder to paint. I like the look of it a lot and it's the way it came from factory.

I believe you have answered your own question:
67ctbug wrote:
It came from the factory black.....
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

I didn't mean the paint color, I meant the type of paint.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Color Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
It came from the factory black so I feel a little bad taking that away but I really like lotus white.

disapproval in regards to straying from originality with your car, but on a personal level you would be happier with the white.

Yup that's about it. I feel that straying from original could mean disapproval from some people, but I really want to paint it white. I feel I will paint it white in the end.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: