Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

This is an incrdeilble read of how to travel thru the Americas. You be the judge if this is your style. We hope you do much better, but you've got to like the never say die attitude. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538476&highlight=hasta

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
This is an incrdeilble read of how to travel thru the Americas. You be the judge if this is your style. We hope you do much better, but you've got to like the never say die attitude. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538476&highlight=hasta

Thanks for the link!! I'll definitely read it I need all the preparation I can get haha.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Yeah, it is kind of the how to not have a trouble free trip example.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
maybe you need a toyota? or a sprinter?

Sprinters get a lot of hype on this forum, but if you are planning on Baja and South America, consider not getting anything that uses ultra low sulfer diesel

http://bajamary.com/media/Mexico-Diesel.php
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

What vehicle are driving/working on at the moment?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

For one person traveling, a Pop Top and full kitchen are not "must haves".
You can get a better unit for much less money if you are happy with a "weekender" tintop.

Dave

Good point, Dave. Going a bit further, for one person, four wheels are not "must haves". A $4K BMW airhead motorcycle (or KLR, etc.) plus reasonable maintenance $ will carry a person around the planet for years.

The folks below (and countless others) have shown how. It's up to our intrepid passion seeker to find his own way.

Obsessions Die Hard
https://www.amazon.com/Obsessions-Die-Hard-Motorcycling-American/dp/188431306X

Travels With Jupiter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0965478521/ref=mp_s...ref=plSrch

8 Around the Americas on a Motorcycle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1894508025/ref=mp_s...ref=plSrch

MotoRaid by Keith Thye (to Tierra del Fuego by moto in the early 60s)

10 Years on 2 Wheels
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0944958389/ref=mp_s...ref=plSrch

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
What vehicle are driving/working on at the moment?
none yet but I'm planning on getting anywhere from like a 1980-1990 Westfalia Camper
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

For one person traveling, a Pop Top and full kitchen are not "must haves".
You can get a better unit for much less money if you are happy with a "weekender" tintop.

Dave

I'll second the recommendation for no full kitchen but my preference is for a poptop with three windows. It makes the interior roomier and you can stand up to put your pants on.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll second the recommendation for no full kitchen but my preference is for a poptop with three windows. It makes the interior roomier and you can stand up to put your wet suit on.

Aloha
tp

Fixed that for ya...aloha
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Generator- Good call on forgetting that. You would do better with auxiliary battery and inverter, tied into your solar panels. Look at the GoWesty website Tech Library, because they have a couple of videos on how to install their products. No sales pitch from me on this... the point is, after seeing their videos, you get the idea on how all that is set up and you can go your own path on product purchase. The Vanagon Westfalia/Weekender body and cabinetry are a great support of this.

Travel light! That little 2.0 power plant will thank you.

CB Radio- No experience here, but you may look into satellite phone:

http://www.inmarsat.com/

Shower: If you have the full Westy set-up (I totally recommend over the Weekender), I have seen where people have plumbed in a flexible shower spray on a hose out of the back of the rear wardrobe cabinet. Open the back hatch, throw up a small vinyl curtain with magnets to the back hatch, and pull out the hose sprayer for a quick shower. Sprayer is plumbed from the water tank off a separate, higher volume pump. Careful! Water supply is limited.

Weekender vs. Westfalia: You can get a Weekender cheaper than a Westfalia, but I really feel the Westy is the way to go. I have made some great trips with my family in our '87, and for living in a van after long days of travel, the ease and convenience of cooking a good, wholelsome and hot meal can't be beat. Getting cold and fresh fruits and drinks out of the fridge and sitting down at a level, clean table on a comfortable seat and enjoying all this looking out at the rain just increases my love for the design. Totally worth the extra expense. Cool

Question What part of California are you in? I got a bunch of parts from a dude up in Sacramento, and knowing the general location of where you live might help people give you some sources.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

For each demand we can have for these vehicles (beyond the original design) there is usually an alternative:

More engine HP -- learn to enjoy driving slower, seek routes conducive to this

More storage -- take less stuff

More electrical power -- read a book (1 light), drink warm beer (Guinness)

Bigger brakes - back off, plan ahead

Hot shower - put on a fresh shirt and take a hike, in 60 minutes you'll smell the same as if you had showered

Connectivity - take comfort knowing that most of the internet, phone messages, texts & twitters are ignorable and doing so may actually make you feel better

40' Winnebagos are for people who have to take it all with them. My Westy is for leaving stuff behind.

PS - My wife and I lived in the Westy for more than a year and 24,000 miles -- these thoughts are based on what I learned from that experience.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Dfk88 wrote:
Hey guys, I've recently decided that I'm going to live the van life for my first two years out of high school.

Really, the most important thing you need to know is that it is a bus, not a van. Honda Odysseys are "The Van". Fullsize Chevies, whatever.

I have always preferred weekenders. I dont cook inside and wouldnt want those smells lingering forever. I use a cooler. Plenty of people disagree with me. Maybe try to catch a VW bus event like Full Moon Bus Club, checkout the options first hand to see which ones you like better.

I agree with those who told you if you need a shower then VW is the wrong platform, unless you consider a Rialta.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
For each demand we can have for these vehicles (beyond the original design) there is usually an alternative:

Hot shower - put on a fresh shirt and take a hike, in 60 minutes you'll smell the same as if you had showered

Connectivity - take comfort knowing that most of the internet, phone messages, texts & twitters are ignorable and doing so may actually make you feel better

40' Winnebagos are for people who have to take it all with them. My Westy is for leaving stuff behind.

PS - My wife and I lived in the Westy for more than a year and 24,000 miles -- these thoughts are based on what I learned from that experience.

^^^ THIS! ^^^

The harbors and marinas throughout the US are full of boats that people bought.. planning thier big adventure to tropical islands.. only to get bogged down in the endless prep and outfitting. Refirgeration, autopilots, sat phones,.. and on and on and on..
The vast majority never get beyond a mile or two of the coast line.

If you are just out of HS.. go backpacking a few times. Bike tour the CA coastline.. better? Start at the US/CA border and ride home.
Learn to do without and to make do..
Then, with that experience in your pocket, driving a Vanagon with some a couple interior lights will feel like living the high-life.

"KISS"..

Keep it simple, son! You'll have more money to spend later.. and be more savvy in real life.

PS.. If it were my son, I'd council on a Toyota T-100 or Tundra and a camper shell. Less money.. Less fuss.. leaving more time to focus on "finding that passion"

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

A word about the forum.

Disclaimer - its not my Forum, its Everett's so I have no standing on how it is run or its content.

But, think of it like a party full of the most knowledgeable VW people on the planet in a small space, talking it up and having a good time.

If you go off on a trip, and only come in and yell when you need help, eventually, you become that guy no one wants to help.

If you share your first oil change, feeling foolish when people who rebuild transmissions post next to you, that's merely a youthful failing which you grow out of over decades.

Ive met about a dozen here, offered my home and been offered home to about half. None of us choose those at random.

Each new person who comes in, of any age, makes it easier for others to share and keep the passion alive.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

A reasonable alternative to a full-blown oven is the Outback Oven. I've had mine for over 20 years and still use it to make nachos, cornbread, etc. it works well on the low setting on the Westy stove.

http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/outback-...iew_tabbed

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

good idea, and I keep one in one of my vehicles

it brings up another general issue: just scale up a little from backpacking (or canoe or bicycle camping) and you are all set

this will help in another way: a guy right out of high school is likely to have a breakdown (for at least a couple of reasons) and he can then put on his backpack and either hike to a place with cell service....

... of hike away entirely
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
I'll second the recommendation for no full kitchen but my preference is for a poptop with three windows. It makes the interior roomier and you can stand up to put your wet suit on.

Aloha
tp

Fixed that for ya...aloha

No wetsuits needed here, surf shorts all day, everyday...

Fixed that for you.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
... No wetsuits needed here, surf shorts all day, everyday ...

Better be putting on your raincoat today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The center of Darby is forecast to pass over or near the Big Island on Saturday.

Aloha
tp
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Generator- Good call on forgetting that. You would do better with auxiliary battery and inverter, tied into your solar panels. Look at the GoWesty website Tech Library, because they have a couple of videos on how to install their products. No sales pitch from me on this... the point is, after seeing their videos, you get the idea on how all that is set up and you can go your own path on product purchase. The Vanagon Westfalia/Weekender body and cabinetry are a great support of this.

Travel light! That little 2.0 power plant will thank you.

CB Radio- No experience here, but you may look into satellite phone:

http://www.inmarsat.com/

Shower: If you have the full Westy set-up (I totally recommend over the Weekender), I have seen where people have plumbed in a flexible shower spray on a hose out of the back of the rear wardrobe cabinet. Open the back hatch, throw up a small vinyl curtain with magnets to the back hatch, and pull out the hose sprayer for a quick shower. Sprayer is plumbed from the water tank off a separate, higher volume pump. Careful! Water supply is limited.

Weekender vs. Westfalia: You can get a Weekender cheaper than a Westfalia, but I really feel the Westy is the way to go. I have made some great trips with my family in our '87, and for living in a van after long days of travel, the ease and convenience of cooking a good, wholelsome and hot meal can't be beat. Getting cold and fresh fruits and drinks out of the fridge and sitting down at a level, clean table on a comfortable seat and enjoying all this looking out at the rain just increases my love for the design. Totally worth the extra expense. Cool

Question What part of California are you in? I got a bunch of parts from a dude up in Sacramento, and knowing the general location of where you live might help people give you some sources.

I'm right in the Antioch/Pittsburgh area
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

As far as showering goes I think baby wipes will go a long way for me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: