Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've recently decided that I'm going to live the van life for my first two years out of high school. I'm currently going into senior year, and I'll be saving up money all year until graduation. After that I plan on traveling all around north and South America looking for my passion. I've already done research on what to do for work and a lot of upgrades I would like to install. Here's the list
Solar Panels
Grill
Oven
Bike rack
Spare tire
Velcro on the walls
Hammock
Retractable sun shade
Truck mirrors
CB radio
Generator
I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on what else I should add and what I should take off of this list. Thank you!!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck on trip!

You need to acquire some intermediate mechanic skills on engine systems, brakes, electrics, and suspension before you tackle South America

There are two or three people traveling up North at the moment whose threads are excellent reads on how to van life, and one on how not-to.
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

You need to acquire some intermediate mechanic skills on engine systems, brakes, electrics, and suspension before you tackle South America

There are two or three people traveling up North at the moment whose threads are excellent reads on how to van life, and one on how not-to.

Thank you! Where exactly can I find the threads?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Dfk88 wrote:
Hey guys, I've recently decided that I'm going to live the van life for my first two years out of high school. I'm currently going into senior year, and I'll be saving up money all year until graduation. After that I plan on traveling all around north and South America looking for my passion. I've already done research on what to do for work and a lot of upgrades I would like to install. Here's the list
Solar Panels
Grill
Oven
Bike rack
Spare tire
Velcro on the walls
Hammock
Retractable sun shade
Truck mirrors
CB radio
Generator
I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on what else I should add and what I should take off of this list. Thank you!!

This topic can go on for awhile and will be filled with opinions (which is what you're asking for). In the end, you'll need to get on the road and decide for yourself. First a question, then my opinions:

Do you have a van and if so, what is it?

Solar Panels - must have
Grill - leave at home (unless you're talking about a grill that you prop over an open fire)
Oven - leave at home (maybe a small Dutch oven, or a compact foldable variety of you must have some baked food)
Bike rack - must have
Spare tire - must have
Velcro on the walls - not in my van
Hammock - must have
Retractable sun shade - an awning is a must have
Truck mirrors - only if you have floppy mirrors, no need to spend $ on these if your mirrors work
CB radio - I've never used one
Generator - God, no. Do whatever you can through solar and smart living to avoid one of these atrocities.

A portable hot water heater is a must in my van.

Enjoy finding your passion!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

You got the classifieds here, craigslist, autotrader etc., etc.

Your on a computer, create an Excel file, each tab a different subject and start copying and pasting info you find on the forum.

There is also the FAQ thread at the top of the forum index which will give you lots of info.

Just start reading.

Last edited by Steve M. on Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Dfk88 wrote:
Solar Panels
Grill
Oven
Bike rack
Spare tire
Velcro on the walls
Hammock
Retractable sun shade
Truck mirrors
CB radio
Generator

This topic can go on for awhile and will be filled with opinions (which is what you're asking for). In the end, you'll need to get on the road and decide for yourself. First a question, then my opinions:

Do you have a van and if so, what is it?

Solar Panels - must have
Grill - leave at home (unless you're talking about a grill that you prop over an open fire)
Oven - leave at home (maybe a small Dutch oven, or a compact foldable variety of you must have some baked food)
Bike rack - must have
Spare tire - must have
Velcro on the walls - not in my van
Hammock - must have
Retractable sun shade - an awning is a must have
Truck mirrors - only if you have floppy mirrors, no need to spend $ on these if your mirrors work
CB radio - I've never used one
Generator - God, no. Do whatever you can through solar and smart living to avoid one of these atrocities.

A portable hot water heater is a must in my van.

Enjoy finding your passion!

No I don't have one yet I'm currently searching though, and the grill I'm talking about would be probably about a foot in diameter and just run off charcoal. Truck mirrors like 18 wheeler truck mirrors just have a lot more viability so I though that might be a help. A CB radio would be helpful if I go with someone and there's no cell service, I can contact them through that and it works for miles. I won't bring a generated because that's a lot of unneeded weight. Thank you!! Your input is extremely valuable to me
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
You got the classifieds here, craigslist, autotrader etc., etc.

Your on a computer, create an Excell file, each tab a different subject and start copying and pasting info you find on the forum.

There is also the FAQ thread at the top of the forum index which will give you lots of info.

Just start reading.

Will do! Thanks!!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Dfk88 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Lots of good info in the stickies. Epic trip reports is a start. Drive Nacho Drive and Subagon South will keep one busy for quite awhile.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight=

You also may want to explore non-Vanagon trips as well. There are amazing trip reports on ADVRider.com, horizons unlimited and the overlander journal. There are great travel books in the public library as well. You'll stay up all night reading 'em all!!! Just remember to pass your classes and graduate first. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Dfk88 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Lots of good info in the stickies. Epic trip reports is a start. Drive Nacho Drive and Subagon South will keep one busy for quite awhile.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight=

You also may want to explore non-Vanagon trips as well. There are amazing trip reports on ADVRider.com, horizons unlimited and the overlander journal. There are great travel books in the public library as well. You'll stay up all night reading 'em all!!! Just remember to pass your classes and graduate first. Very Happy

Oh yeah passing the classes is a must 😂 Thanks!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Best wishes as you make plans!

As you find a Van, fix it up, repair it as needed and make personal "adjustments" to it..... Stay in touch here. This is a close knit group with many many stories to share among us of not only meeting our virtual friends face to face but of offering real practical help while traveling!

Question? How is this endeavor being bank rolled?
Finding and fixing a Van isn't cheap, nor is traveling for two years.......

For one person traveling, a Pop Top and full kitchen are not "must haves".
You can get a better unit for much less money if you are happy with a "weekender" tintop.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Dfk88 wrote:
...what else I should add to this list?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
[money pic]

2 bags!
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Best wishes as you make plans!

As you find a Van, fix it up, repair it as needed and make personal "adjustments" to it..... Stay in touch here. This is a close knit group with many many stories to share among us of not only meeting our virtual friends face to face but of offering real practical help while traveling!

Question? How is this endeavor being bank rolled?
Finding and fixing a Van isn't cheap, nor is traveling for two years.......

For one person traveling, a Pop Top and full kitchen are not "must haves".
You can get a better unit for much less money if you are happy with a "weekender" tintop.

Dave

I plan on doing work online on the road as well as doing "odd jobs" I believe they're called. I'll also be saving up money all of this year.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

I would track down some local Vanagon owners and ask if there are any group meet-ups you could attend. Hanging around some owners would give you a much better idea of what maintaining one of theses aging vehicles is like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

You might consider a Bay Window instead of a Vanagon. I think that you'll find more mechanics and/or parts available and probably less initial investment.

I have both a Bay Window and a Vanagon. The Bay Window is simple and the Vanagon is mysterious.

Aloha
tp
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.”
Henry Ford

I don't know how it fits into your schedule or budget, but I would suggest buying a fairly solid fixer-up-er van as soon as possible. You'll want to spend some time familiarizing yourself with it and tying up all the inevitable loose ends well before you head out on your big adventure. Learning on the road can be a very rough road.

That said, the skills and tools you accumulate while getting ready will serve you well once you do hit the highway, as will the knowledge and advice you'll gain here on the Samba as you prepare for your epic road trip.

Good luck, and PM me if you need an overnight driveway if/when you pass through southern Wisconsin ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

do you NEED A VOLKSWAGEN? is that all you think of night and day? do you search craigslist and samba classifieds nonstop looking at expressly volkswagens? volkswagens are a commitment beyond what the travel itself will demand. do you like working on cars? do you like paying people to work on cars? solar is easy, AFM adjustment not so much. maybe you need a toyota? or a sprinter?
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.”
Henry Ford

I don't know how it fits into your schedule or budget, but I would suggest buying a fairly solid fixer-up-er van as soon as possible. You'll want to spend some time familiarizing yourself with it and tying up all the inevitable loose ends well before you head out on your big adventure. Learning on the road can be a very rough road.

That said, the skills and tools you accumulate while getting ready will serve you well once you do hit the highway, as will the knowledge and advice you'll gain here on the Samba as you prepare for your epic road trip.

Good luck, and PM me if you need an overnight driveway if/when you pass through southern Wisconsin ...

Thank you very much! If I pass through Wisconsin I'll definitely give you a pm.
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
You might consider a Bay Window instead of a Vanagon. I think that you'll find more mechanics and/or parts available and probably less initial investment.

I have both a Bay Window and a Vanagon. The Bay Window is simple and the Vanagon is mysterious.

Aloha
tp

Thank you, I'll have to look into one of those!
Dfk88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a poptop camper in CA/ Vanlife advice? Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
do you NEED A VOLKSWAGEN? is that all you think of night and day? do you search craigslist and samba classifieds nonstop looking at expressly volkswagens? volkswagens are a commitment beyond what the travel itself will demand. do you like working on cars? do you like paying people to work on cars? solar is easy, AFM adjustment not so much. maybe you need a toyota? or a sprinter?

I think about it quite often, I've wanted one for the better part of four years now. I do like working on cars it's enjoyable for me, do I like paying people to work on them? No of course not but who does, if it has to be done it has to be done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: