Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the site, have an interesting problem!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Hello, I am the proud owner of a `66 Baja Bug...

1835cc, dual Delorto carbs, bus trans w/ big nut great reduction.

My baja previously had a 1600 in it until it blew a hole next to the #2 spark plug. Unfortunately the rod bearings were shot (from previous owner). I had an 1835 built with new everything, the weird thing is that with only 12 miles on the new motor it blew another hole in the #2 cylinder head!

Two different motors blow out the same hole in the same cylinder... and it's not the #3! I'm stumped...
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it's an air flow problem, I know that there are a million different things it could be... I'm mainly just curious if anyone else has had this problem or something similar.

The engine tins are in place, dog house with wide fan, carbs synced properly, valves are adjusted properly too. I really don't know what would cause the #2 to blow out
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba.
Damn that sux. I have never heard of a hole being blown through a head like that before.
Please post a couple of pics of the hole and your engine in complete form. Some of us here can't read or type Shocked But can get to the bottom of the issue with a couple of good pic posts.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have the heads at this time to take a picture. The first time it blew out in a way that looked like it may have been cracked. The second time, on the new motor, it blew out the spark plug and the surrounding head material. This time it looked melted!
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

66baja68street wrote:
I'm wondering if it's an air flow problem...

Agreed, #2's not getting sufficient cooling. Like #3, #2 is a bit out of alignment from where the upright fan shroud blows air between cylinders. There should be a couple deflectors that help spread air current around cooling fins. The one on the bottom that snaps onto head studs is easy to check. But there's another that's sorta part of the head, and is not always provided when you buy new heads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Thank you! I will check into this as soon as the motor is torn down. Heating issue is my thoughts as well because the fan/shroud and tins were used on both engines.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know if the cylinder tin is OEM or aftermarket, and if aftermarket, then is the diverter vane present to properly distribute airflow to the head.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Wrong width of cooling fan and/or too small of crankshaft pulley so the fan runs too slow will not help! Check everything, and post images of the engine so we all might spot problems.
corvette9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Are the carbs the same ones? Sounds like that cyl. is running way lean.
Ravinsomniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

It's those darned Chinese made muffler bearings..
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Finally have an update! Motor is back together (New head). Cylinder tins are now complete as they were missing diverter veins. New Bosch 009 distributor installed (shop thought the old one was faulty)...
After a warm up and a quick drive the same culprit cylinder was at 335°f. All other cylinders at 250°f. We found a break in the problem cylinders spark plug wire (New set going on tomorrow morning). The fan is the wide style (in a doghouse shroud) and pushing a lot of air over the cylinders.

I'm leaning towards a lean cylinder, as everything else checks out well.

Any thoughts?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

66baja68street wrote:

I'm leaning towards a lean cylinder, as everything else checks out well.

Any thoughts?

If it is lean, then you have a vacuum leak.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

66baja68street wrote:
with only 12 miles on the new motor it blew another hole in the #2 cylinder head!

Man, you could probably get more than 12 miles with no fan or shroud whatsoever!

I presume you reused all the tin and such from the old motor? I'd look that stuff over with a skeptical eye.
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

I will check into a possible vacuum leak.

Yes the first build on the New motor did utilize the old tins from the original motor. Missing parts should have been discovered by the shop that built the motor, but I'm not one to dwell on the past so it's got complete tins now.

This baja bug has thrown me for a loop! It's been a nightmare but when it's running man is it a blast to drive!
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

The dual delorto carbs that are on this build were on the motor when it blew the #2 head. However the original motor blew the #2 head with a single 34pict carb. Two different engines with two different carb setups wrecked the same cylinder.

I really just want to drive my car! Hahaha
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Who put the external hardware on the long block, the shop or you?
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

The shop.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

Just what do you mean by "blew a hole? Post up some pics of the carnage. I'm stumped, too.

Are you running a thermostat? Flaps in the shroud?
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

I don't have the picture anymore but it was a nickel sized hole in the top of the head about 1/2" away from the spark plug hole. The second head that blew (on the New motor) blew out the spark plug and 1/4" of material all the way around it (this time it was obvious that material had gotten very hot).
66baja68street
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, have an interesting problem! Reply with quote

I will have to check on the flaps in the shroud as I honestly don't remember, it's been years since I pulled that shroud out of my 68 street bug. I ran a similar motor for years in that car with that shroud and never had a problem with overheating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: