Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you connect this darn shift coupler?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoWestYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/a/Jumlp

Ok, so I've read these shift couplers are not recommended because they can break. Thing is getting delivery of another one is going to take a week or two and I'm hoping to at least use this one for now while I fix my clutch issues.

But the transmission shaft and the shifter rod do NOT line up, they are at different angles, with the shifter rod angling downwards and there's no way this coupler will slide over both shafts at the same time because it's not bendable. So how the heck do you get it on?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

You are never going to be able to use a stock early coupler at the angle you have there between the hockey stick and shift rod.
You are going to have to use some kind of u-joint or the later coupler that is square and can pivot. I think it was in 1965 that it changed.
I see you have adjuster at the shift rod, the adjuster for the later ones has a 10mm, real close to 3/8in hole in it for the pivot bolt.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

That sort of misalignment will ensure the coupler will fail, regardless how well it's made.

There's a guy CNC machining couplers which will deal with the mis-alignment just fine. I read a thread about it in the last couple of weeks. I'll look and see if I can find it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

Here's a link Richard might be talking about ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656824&highlight=

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

Here's the thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656824&highlight=shift+coupler

I hear what you're saying about getting it going for a little while. But there's no way that I can recommend to quick fix that.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoWestYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Here's the thread

I hear what you're saying about getting it going for a little while. But there's no way that I can recommend to quick fix that.

Fair enough. But mine doesn't have the bolt hole in shift rod for that beautiful aluminum connector. Do I just drill one through it?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

GoWestYoungMan wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Here's the thread

Fair enough. But mine doesn't have the bolt hole in shift rod for that beautiful aluminum connector. Do I just drill one through it?

Did you read all the way to the end of that thread?

My last post was:
Quote:
I wasn't saying to drill a hole through the hockey stick shaft in the trans. I was suggesting to loosen the jam nut on the shift adjuster, remove the end of the adjuster,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and drill THAT hole through so you can use one of the machined aluminum couplers shown above.

The adjuster piece would then need to be turned 90° so the bolt passes through the adjuster left to right instead of up or down.

You might want to ask the guy who makes the couplers to make yours to fit a 1/4" allen shoulder bolt. I firmly believe it would be strong enough and would be a smaller hole through that adjuster piece.

SoCalBajas Member
GoWestYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I got it now.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you connect this darn shift coupler? Reply with quote

Get adjustable shifr rod adapter for late model and exchange center piece of early one for later one....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: