Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Haven't had this '67 Beetle very long. I changed the oil because it was quite a bit above the top mark on the dipstick. I put in exactly 2 1/2 quarts and the level reads about 1/2" above the top mark on level ground. Is this normal?

1967 VW Beetle - Savannah Beige Very Happy
2002 VW GTi - Reflex Silver (Sold) Sad
1966 VW Beetle - Bahama Blue (Sold) Sad
1961 Porsche 356B Roadster - Signal Red (Sold) Brick wall
1966 VW Beetle - Sea Sand (Sold) Sad
South Jersey Volkswagen Club
Central Jersey Volkswagen Society
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:
Haven't had this '67 Beetle very long. I changed the oil because it was quite a bit above the top mark on the dipstick. I put in exactly 2 1/2 quarts and the level reads about 1/2" above the top mark on level ground. Is this normal?

If it read 1/2" high after adding the oil and before driving, I'd suspect that you have a dipstick from a different model or vehicle.

If you had driven it a while first, then waited 5 minutes to check, then I'd suspect gasoline getting into the oil (like from faulty fuel pump).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Thanks, Cusser. No I didn't drive it; in fact, this is without even starting it. I was wondering about the dipstick being wrong.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Smile Minute possibility that the dip stick tube has been pushed down into the case.

I generally fire up my engine for a few secs and then re check the dip stick.

Oil will be in suspension... the reading will be low on a quick reading again, then will rise.

You can always get another dipstick or borrow somebodys to double check....even to match them side by side.

Just a thought.
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Thanks, HRVW. I usually do the same, but I haven't fired it up because the fuel pump is out. When I first saw the oil level was high (before the oil change) I suspected the pump diaphragm was the culprit (leaking gas into the crankcase). Fuel pump should go back in today or tomorrow.

Maybe someone can measure the amount of dipstick tube sticking up on their '67. I'll measure mine today.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

.887" AS41 case from the end of the dip stick tube to the step in the case for the crank pulley tin to rest on.
.885" on an "AE" case same location. Breast plate tin in place on both engines.
Hope this helps ya.
Have great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Thanks, 67... I measure about .5" of tube from the tin to the top of the tube.. I just stuck a small ruler against the tin. I also noticed pictures of new dipsticks have a rubber bumper on the stick, up aginst the "bell" to seal the tube. Mine does not have that. So maybe a shorter tube and the missing bumper makes about 1/2" difference.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

You might be ok with .500" height. I used a dial caliper depth gauge to measure. So I managed to get past the pulley tin and onto the engine case.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Now after running for a couple of minutes and then sitting for a half hour, it reads exactly on the full mark. Brick wall

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Are you following the procedure to check oil level from the Owner's Manual? OMs are available thru the "Technical" button at upper right of the web page.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In other words:

Wait at least five minutes on fairly flat ground to let oil drain down to the sump. Personally we wait at least fifteen minutes.

1. Pull dip stick out and just wipe off. Good to use now and then some of that oil before wiping off the dip stick to keep the throttle shaft lubed up.

2. Put dip stick back in for a few seconds and pull out to read.

3. Repeat #2 to make sure it still reads very close to the same.
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Beetle Oil Level 1/2" Above Top Mark Reply with quote

Thanks. That's exactly what I do; I usually check it before starting. Good idea about a little lube for the throttle.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: